ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Practice Notes 8/8

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
ATLANTA-- Georgia Tech's football team strapped on the pads for the first time this camp on Tuesday. Head coach Paul Johnson spoke about his team's transition to full on tackle football after practice.

"It was okay, the first day in pads, pretty typical," Johnson said. "We will be in pads pretty much everyday except for days off and days before scrimmages. I think we will be in pads every day."

With the pads on, freshmen typically start to hit the wall in terms of the speed of the game, but Johnson said he was pleased with how the young guys responded.

"I think the freshmen all flew around," Johnson said. "I don't know if it is fun, but you can tell a lot more of what is going on. I think it prepares the team a little better because they get to see what it is like. Sometimes the guys in shorts aren't really as good in pads."

Defensively, defensive coordinator Ted Roof said the install is going quickly with his veteran unit.

"Right now we have enough in to play a game minus some specialty situations, short-yardage or goal line or one-minute," he said. "We have gone to a whole method for this camp. We have an older group and our older guys have pulled the younger guys under their wings and spent a lot of time with them and as a result of that, we were ready to go."

CPJ not in a great mood today, I think he was unhappy with ball security just a guess on my part.

CPJ said he just wanted to see the team play, they did 20 minutes of live full tackling.

CPJ said the QB reps are mostly going to two of the QBs and they try to rotate some, but two get more reps than others. They switch it each day.

CPJ said that Jerry Howard is hard to tackle like he thought he would be. Jordan Mason also had a couple of nice runs.

CPJ said he didn't notice Zach Quinney today, which is probably good.

CPJ said the ball was out too much today.

CPJ said no serious injuries yet.

CPJ said Dedrick Mills looks good, trying not to kill him, said he is in great shape. Dropped some weight and is faster and quicker.

Kelton Dawson is working at DT while Antwan Owens and Cortez Alston are at DE positions. CMP said that Owens looks really good and plays fast for his age and though he makes mistakes they are very pleased with how Owens is coming along.

DE Tyler Merriweather has been out a few days with a minor injury.

CTR said that the LB rotation is at WLB is a mix of Vic Alexaner, Terrell Lewis, Jakob Brashear, Chris Dandaneau, TD Roof and Jaquan Henderson, likes the options there

CTR said at the SAM LB they are looking at Terrell Lewis, David Curry and TD Roof.
The MLB group is Brant Mitchell, Bruce Jordan-Swilling, Tyler Cooksey and Tre Jackson.

CTR said he is waiting for some guys to break through at LB and competition is making them better, but he wants some guys to separate themselves.

CTR said that Kaleb Oliver and Avery Showell are rolling between nickel and safety. Said the goal is to figure out who can play and then move them to a more permanent spot. Said he wants to see them run and hit, but their heads are spinning.

CTR said they've installed enough D to play a game right now.

Terrell Lewis said he is focused on trying to win the WLB job, but he isn't thinking about it all the time, said that he and Vic are very close and they compliment each other in terms of ability.

Lawrence Austin said he has a checklist of stuff he is trying to enjoy in camp.

Antonio Simmons talked for a long time about his desire to finally live up to his abilities as a pass rusher.

Kyle Cerge-Henderson talked about his role as the point of attack guy in the DL and holding his point better.

CTR talked about what it is like coaching his son. I'll post a vid of that later.

CMP said that Brandon Adams is in better shape.

CMP said there is no set rotation at DE or DT yet, leaving all the jobs open.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News