ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Paul Johnson quick quotes 9/26

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Like I said after the game it is great to get started with a division win in the league. A lot to clean up and a lot to work, good team UNC this week, big challenge for us and they've had a lot of success against us.

ON DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UNC AND LAST YEAR

Got some guys hurt and transitioned some guys out, lost QB, RB and all the WRs from a year ago are gone. Different OL and RBs, different team, young, experience what we did in '15, another guy is getting hurt. We are starting to get some of this too.

ON BENSON OVERWORK

Maybe, it is a feel thing, as the other two guys come along, we can distribute more. The more he plays, he will feel better, when he gets tired he doesn't do as well.

ON FUMBLES AND PROTECTING THE BALL

I don't think it is an either or, secure it high and tight, we work it, we are not teaching it differently. This game it was an issue, the one before we didn't turn it over. Part of the issues were fundamentals, it wasn't all the RBs. The first one he looked at the D, the other two, one got kicked out of his hand, his foot hit the ball, that kicked it and the other one was mesh, fundamentals were not good.

ON GUYS NOT CHEERING

The week before was cheering on teammates, being into the flow of the game. It is different for kids. Every year for years we did scout team of the week, took the kids on the road. The last two or three times, guys we'd identify, my parents are coming or I was going home to the fall dance. When I started coaching kids would've killed to go on the road when I started coaching.

ON THE ACC OVERALL WIDE OPEN

I don't know, Clemson looks good when I watch them play. BC played good for three quarters on D, they played good. Our side, I've seen Pitt, UNC and Duke, have only seen for film study. The league is way different than 10 years ago when I came. It is way more balanced and way better.

ON RHYTHM OF PRACTICE FINALLY IN ROUTINE

We will know more, last week was semi-routine, Monday is error correction and conditiioning, today we will have a solid practice, be our first Tuesday practice.

ON THE ACC BEING DEEPER

It has become more important to some schools. The Schools are the top were pulling away 4-5 schools were light years away in money and others have put more emphasis on it. When was the last time Duke and Wake were 8-0, I grew up in North Carolina, that has been a long time. When I came in there were 3-4 teams you could count on as wins, there are not any now. If you don't play well you could get better every year. The teams at the top have taken it to another level with 2 MNC out of 3, I think there is more emphasis and money put in on it. It is not a whole lot different than business. The more you invest, the greater the return, that is talking about effort, it is the same with programs.

ON DEFENSIVE TACKLE POSITION DEPTH

We've played with four guys counting Brandon. He and Tay and Des and Kyle, Antwan got a little bit in there gives us more of a rotation and that is good to have.

ON DEFENSIVE IMPROVEMENT SIGNS

We've got a lot of returners back, but we are still young, the most experience is there. I was disappointed in the first game and the last two we've played much better. I think sometimes with polls and stats, I don't get too excited until we play 4-5 games and have an idea of what is going on.

ON GUARD BOX PLAY

I think our best players are at that position and they are young, but they are the better players.

ON BEING A FAVORITE BY 9.5 IN THIS GAME

I don't pay much attention to this stuff and I don't think it matters to the team. We won't ever talk to our team about being favorites or underdogs, we try to play the best we can. If you think you'll win, you won't and you'll get hit in the mouth. No one is intimated watching us get off the bus or during warm-ups, so you better be prepared to play. I wish they'd spot us 9.5 points, we've needed it the last two years.

ON TURNOVERS

The turnovers were key, the stop the D got on our side of the field, they missed a FG and we tied the score, gave our D a shot in the arm, we started blitzing and stunting more. First drive was a busted coverage and that hands sweep, then we settled down. We only gave up two plays of 20 yds after that.

ON TAQUON

He is a really good athlete and he wants to be good. He is a fierce competitor. He didn't play well on Saturday, he had some great plays like the spin on the sideline, but he needs to work on some fundamentals. He wants to be good and he is willing to work and he wants to be successful and good.

ON SPECIAL TEAMS TACKLING

We had the one bad punt return, other than that it wasn't that bad. They had one KR out past the 30, their punter had a career day and we got wadded up and their kid punted well. We did a good job on the punt and we need to keep the guy on the sideline. We look at personnel and we can change a guy or to.

Reactions: Buddy Smiggins
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News