ADVERTISEMENT

NFL thread

Good call. The Hill should always be blamed. I'm thinking of blaming it on Kyle Shanahan. If the Falcons didn't have the top ranked offense in the NFL, their defense would be playing better.

Falcons D is getting some bad luck today. The opposition's QB is having beginner's luck.

Falcons offense scores too fast too. ;)

(remember when that case was made about Tech's defensive troubles a few years ago? LOL)

Big win for the Falcons. Stay a game ahead of the Saints. To have the Broncos, Seahawks and Packers in the rear view mirror (and going 2-1 against those three) bodes well.

Big revenge game coming up Thursday night at Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay's running back situation is a complete mess.

I think the Raiders set a NFL record in number of penalties today and still won at Tampa.

Average? Since when are we expecting or hoping for that? Lower your expectations, mate.

We are still hoping for consistently mediocre at Tech. Remember?

;)

Average? Since when are we expecting or hoping for that? Lower your expectations, mate.

We are still hoping for consistently mediocre at Tech. Remember?

;)
Yes mediocre would be nice :) . One question does UNC use TE's ?

Oh, and be happy. Your Falcons are 5-3. At least they didn't fly all the way over to London to have a normally-reliable kicker miss a very makeable field goal to win the game in overtime and only to wind up kissing the sister with a tie.

Btw, the NFL really needs to change up the overtime rules. It's dull and there should never be any ties. Ties are un-American. If nothing else, have each team send up 5 guys (coaches are OK too) and have them light farts to decide who wins. I figure the Ryan brothers at Buffalo are shoe-ins in that contest.

Yes mediocre would be nice :) . One question does UNC use TE's ?

Does it really matter? If they do, then they'll catch 17 balls for 239 yards and 4 TD's. If they don't, they'll still catch 17 balls for 239 yards and 4 TD's. Hell, we've had an offensive tackle score on us this year. Maybe UNC's kicker or punter will run one in Saturday...you know, just to mix things up.

Maybe we could work something out with UNC. Like tell them we will give you 35 points but you can't play offense. You give us 10 try's from the 25 to see if we can score more then 35.

I think our TE's could've caught 17 balls for 239 yards and 4 TD's this past Saturday against our defense this past Saturday.

You know the truth like Jack Nicholson does, the only TE we have is our Head Coach.

I think my account is about to get temporarily deleted again for that comment.

Might as well Fire Danny Hall, too!

At the midway point to the season, here's the way I see the playoffs shaking down...

NFC:

1 Vikings - Minny has a key game on the horizon in Week 13 when they host the Cowpunks that may decide home field advantage...I'll give the nod to the Vikes and their smothering defense at home

2 Cowpunks - pulled one out of their hind parts at home last night, but playing solid behind Prescott...they'd be stupid to bring Romo back into the starting fold, but they do stupid things there

3 Falcons - not much difference in 3 or 4 seed, though I think you'd rather have the 3-seed to avoid hosting the Packers most likely...this will be between the Falcons and Seahawks

4 Seahawks - Cardinals are stinking it up this season and Seattle plays good enough at home to fend off anybody else in their division...Rams have no offense and the 49ers are a mess...just 2 years ago this was perhaps the best division in the NFL...not anymore

5 Packers - I had them losing at Atlanta yesterday, but I only see them losing 1 or 2 more the rest of the way

6 Giants - NY needed a bye badly to get their offense and especially struggling Eli Manning kick-started again...their D is pretty good...next 3 are at home and they will be favored in all of them...then they play at Cleveland...so, a good chance they are 8-3 after Week 12 before the schedule toughens up some...this last seed likely comes down to NY or *MY* Redskins (and maybe the Saints if they can win a game or two on the road)

AFC:

1 Patriots - Belichick is the best in the business...Brady is playing at a MVP level (again)...they may lock the #1 seed up by Week 14 or 15

2 Raiders - yes, the Raiders...they are 5-0 away from home and have only played 3 home games so far...at 6-2, their next 4 games are at home with a much needed bye week sandwiched in during Week 10...Carr is playing outstanding...Jack Del Rio deserves mention for Coach of the Year at the halfway point

3 Steelers - this team is hard to figure out...when they look good, they look really good...when they look bad, they really stink...they'll get Big Ben back in the next couple of weeks...they have the kind of offense when all are healthy and present to cause a lot of problems in the playoffs...scary team I wouldn't want to face in the early rounds of the playoffs

4 Texans - a crappy team from a crappy division...they'll host a first round playoff game and get killed

5 Broncos - great defense...average offense...but, a great defense can carry you far...I'll give the nod over the Chiefs here because not sure what to make of the Chiefs and KC has a bit tougher schedule left

6 Chiefs - Bills could compete for this spot, but think the 3rd team from the ultra-competitive AFC-West (and the Bolts aren't bad at all) will claim this last spot...AFCW is the strongest division in the NFL at the halfway point and don't think it is really even close

Divisions strength from toughest to weakest at the halfway point...

1 AFC-West: 3 teams at 5-2 or better...Chargers have pissed away games late, but still have a win on the road over Atlanta, which is impressive

2 NFC-East: All 4 teams have winning records...no other division can claim that

3 NFC-North: Top heavy with Vikes and Packers...Lions are 4-4...Bears are dreadful

4 AFC-East: After the Pats, the rest has a lot of warts on them...but Pats at the top give the slight edge ahead of the NFCS

5 NFC-South: Like the AFCE, only 1 team with a winning record...Saints are tough at home...Panthers are a dangerous-though-disappointing team at 2-5

6 AFC-Central: Steelers have been up and down...Ravens started strong but have been exposed for the frauds they are with 4 straight losses...Bengals are a bunch of punks who underachieve...Cleveland is terrible...will give the very slight edge over the NFCW

7 NFC-West: Seahawks are solid, though not as dominant as the last few years...Rams have no offense...Niners don't have anything...Cardinals are very disappointing (a lot of folks had them picked for the Super Bowl in the preseason...they are on track to finish with a losing record)

8 AFC-South: Awful, just awful...Texans will likely win the division again by default...Colts are awful and need a coaching change...they spent all that money on Luck and don't have anybody else to help him (especially their terrible defense)...Jacksonville is embarrassing...the Titans may rise up and win the division and they are nothing to brag about

Does Newton have a good argument when he talks with Goodell?

Everybody has a good argument it seems. The refereeing is so inconsistent regarding personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct, et al. A 15-yd penalty is thrown for a TE scoring a TD earlier this season and shooting the ball in celebration like it is a basketball, but yet the Jaguars QB punts the ball into the stands in celebration and gets nothing.

Newton turns himself into a runner at times and then gets crabby when he doesn't get a call. Other times though, he has a legit claim when in the pocket and getting hit late. His attitude and behavior doesn't win him many points with fans (including me), but the refs should be immune to what the fans think.

Agree. There is a bias. It is nothing new. Been going on for years. Lots of other examples over the years.

I guess that's why Jones didn't get the PI call in Seattle. He doesn't complain enough.

I think the ref(s) just choked on that one. Richard Sherman gets away with far too much. There is that bias again. Seattle at home gets away with far too much generally speaking. If that game is at Atlanta, the call goes Julio's way most likely. Or, if it is some other DB tackling JJ's body before the ball arrives.

I was glad the guys on Fox NFL Today (Terry, Jimmy, etc.) blasted the refs for their non-call in that game. Mike Pereira went as far as saying the ref(s) who blew that non-call likely just killed any opportunities to call playoff games (read: bonus money for them).

Did you hear the guys talking about all the WR picks in the New Orleans game? These incidents (and conversations) need to stop or all its going to be is a deciphering of the rule book every week.

No, I missed that. Not surprised. WR picks are supposedly illegal, but they happen down near the goal line all the time. The refs could stop it if they wanted to, but they let it go. Brees is one of those who gets favorable treatment, IMO.

Speaking of Fox, they made a very smart move a few weeks ago when they swapped the ARZ-CAR game (originally scheduled for 4:25 national TV game) and the GB-ATL game (originally scheduled for 1:00 regional TV game) as far as game times. The Packers-Falcons game was a fun game to watch. High scoring. Back and forth. Went down to the end. Two teams going places this postseason.

NBC has a great one coming up this Sunday night. The Super Bowl Champion, 6-2 Denver Broncs head to 6-2 Oakland. Should be fun.

After last night's stinky performance by the Vikings, I will have to downgrade them quite a bit as favorites to finish at or near the top of the NFC playoff seeds. Minny's offense is average (last night was bad), but their D has been terrific. A mediocre Bears offense made their vaunted D look average last night. 2 straight losses for the Vikes. Let's move the Vikes into wild card probable and the Packers back up into likely NFC North champs (even though the Vikes still lead the NFCN at the moment).

The Cowpunks look like a #1 seed. Falcons have a shot at the #2 and (important) first weekend bye. The win over the Packers and that head-to-head tie breaker could eventually be important.

Atlanta is laying 3.5 at Tampa Bay Thursday night. The Bucs have significant injury issues on their offense. Former Falcon RB, Jacquizz Rodgers, was suiting up and doing well as the starter after injuries to Doug Martin (in Week 2) and Charles Sims (out for season). But, he sprained his foot at the end of their loss to the Raiders and likely is out on this short week. That leaves Antone Smith and Peyton Barber as probable ball carriers. A joke can be inserted here about how those 2 no-names will still run all over the porous Falcons D, but not having the quick Rodgers is definitely a plus for Atlanta's hopes.

Also, with no legit #2 WR (Vincent Jackson out for season) to take pressure off of superb Bucs WR, Mike Evans, the Falcons can blanket Evans on every route with 2 guys and make life difficult for the inconsistent Crab Legs Winston. Add in that the Falcons go into this game with revenge from a Week 1 home loss and the trip to Tampa is relatively short, this has the potential for the Falcons to roll Thursday night in Tampa. I'm laying the 3.5. Can be dangerous going with a short-week road favorite, but I think the Falcons O will continue to roll and TB is in disarray right now (and coming off a home OT loss to the Raiders where they blew a big lead and were delivered over 20 penalties on Oakland...read: Raiders continually shooting themselves in the foot...I don't think the Falcons will be nearly that undisciplined).

Ok I was wrong about Shanahan .But I still have my eye on you.

Take note Tech you can win giving up 28 points, but not 44 or more. :cool:

To you Falcons fans...

...if somebody had told you back in August after 9 games the Falcons would be 6-3, would you have taken it?

I'm guessing you would. I know I was terribly wrong and gladly admit it. While the Falcons are not my favorite team as you know, I do root for them whenever the situation fits (and that's most of the time). Most all of my family are Falcons fans. And, I know some of you lesbians root for them as well. Good enough for me.

I posted I thought 6-10 was about right for Atlanta with a ceiling of 8-8. How badly wrong that projection was. As I posted a few weeks ago, whenever 2 NFC-South teams face one another, I am blindly playing the OVER as this division plays little defense, but have high-octane offenses.

I agree with Chris Collinsworth (whose voice always sounds like he is trying to squeeze out a last stingy turd, but I digress) when he said last night that if Quinn can get this young ATL defense to grow up over the 2nd half of the season, the Falcons could be trouble for anybody in the playoffs. I hope Trufant is not hurt too bad. He is obviously needed for ATL.

You are right about the defense being the key. Typically, the Dirty Birds seem to find a way to put points on the board. Sanu surprised me, although admittedly I didn't know much about him. Also, impressed by the speed of Gabriel.

If they stay healthy, the 10-6 record I gave Junior in July, should be close to the final result. My fears are usually with their "D", just like GT.

To you Falcons fans...

...if somebody had told you back in August after 9 games the Falcons would be 6-3, would you have taken it?

I'm guessing you would. I know I was terribly wrong and gladly admit it. While the Falcons are not my favorite team as you know, I do root for them whenever the situation fits (and that's most of the time). Most all of my family are Falcons fans. And, I know some of you lesbians root for them as well. Good enough for me.

I posted I thought 6-10 was about right for Atlanta with a ceiling of 8-8. How badly wrong that projection was. As I posted a few weeks ago, whenever 2 NFC-South teams face one another, I am blindly playing the OVER as this division plays little defense, but have high-octane offenses.

I agree with Chris Collinsworth (whose voice always sounds like he is trying to squeeze out a last stingy turd, but I digress) when he said last night that if Quinn can get this young ATL defense to grow up over the 2nd half of the season, the Falcons could be trouble for anybody in the playoffs. I hope Trufant is not hurt too bad. He is obviously needed for ATL.
I agree at the start of the season I would have took 8-8.

I think the Falcons were 6-3 last year after 9 games.

But this year is different to me for 3 reasons.

1. The OC has finally realized Ryan's strengths and is using them properly.

2. The O-line is much better with Mack at center.

3. 4 rookies on D last night, they will continue to get better as the season gets further along. More talent than last year, its still raw, but its getting better.

Shanatan Jr. is running the exact same offense he ran when he was O-Coord with *MY* Redskins and when RG3 was Rookie of the Year. The BIG differences are that RG3 was much more mobile which made the threat of a QB running even more dangerous...Matt Ryan is 10x better passer than RG3...Julio Jones is the best WR in the game (with all due respects to Antonio Brown, AJ Green, etc.). RG3 never had anywhere near a dominant target like Ryan has in JJ.

Regardless, his offenses - like him or not - are normally pretty good. He even had some decent offenses in Cleveland. CLEVELAND! He's been rumored to be a HC in the past. If the Falcons continue on this season with the way they are playing, this upcoming offseason might be the year his button gets pressed to rise to a HC in the NFL. Pretty sure they'd welcome him with open arms at places like Jacksonville, Indianapolis, etc., for instance.

You are right about the defense being the key. Typically, the Dirty Birds seem to find a way to put points on the board. Sanu surprised me, although admittedly I didn't know much about him. Also, impressed by the speed of Gabriel.

If they stay healthy, the 10-6 record I gave Junior in July, should be close to the final result. My fears are usually with their "D", just like GT.

I currently have the Falcons finishing 11-5 and being the #2 seed in the NFC Playoffs. I think they are more likely to be 12-4 than 10-6. I have them losing at Philly next week in what could be a win...definitely should be a toss up at minimum. Philly's D is pretty stout. A Falcons win before going into the bye week won't surprise me at all. Hell, ATL has seen "stout" defenses on the road already and have done just fine - at Denver win, at Seattle should have been a win if not for gutless refs, etc.

After the bye week, I see ATL winning 4 straight and then losing at Carolina (again, could be a win...Panthers might be playing out the season by then)...and then finishing with a W at home over the Saints.

Not that you should need any other reasons at all, but Falcons fans should be rooting for the Cowpunks to lose whenever possible (which should be all the time, every year) and perhaps the Seahawks as I see those 2 as the biggest contenders with the Falcons for the coveted top seed and home field advantage in the playoffs.

The Vikes can be downgraded now. Norv Turner exiting this week on his own accord was surprising to say the least. Vikes have a great D, but their offense sucks. The Packers (who ATL has a tie-breaker edge on) have 5 of their last 8 on the road after their home game against the Colts this upcoming Sunday. Green Bay has holes as well...especially in their defensive backfield and pass coverage.

Patriots are putting Shaq at the point of attack on every run play in the 2nd half against Denver, and he is delivering. If he keeps playing like this, he's a future pro bowler to be sure. May even be the recipient of that honor this season. Kudos to Shaq!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT