ADVERTISEMENT

My Perception of Current GT Recruiting

McDaddybuzz

Gold Member
Aug 11, 2009
I’ve been following GT recruiting for over 45 years going back to the days of Jamie Newburg and others who sent out publications prior to the internet being a forum for such. For the most part, we have never had a class like UGA’s or Bama’s. In fact, I submit we have had a lot of last minute flips away from GT rather than the other way around. I have always submitted kids have grown up in the state of Georgia wanting to be a Bulldog, not a Yellow Jacket. That, in part, was Vince Dooley making them a consistent winner and thus a lot of attraction to sidewalk fans.

This class and this coach feels different. Sure, we lost some blue chippers that had committed to us and we did not hold on to them. That’s Big Boy recruiting. But we flipped and closed on some top talent beating out the big boys in doing so. I say all this because I think the word and reputation is getting out Coach Key is a players coach who is also willing to dish out tough love when needed. But he is organized, has a plan and will take action to do what is necessary for us to win. I, for one, was disappointed when he announced Haynes would be the QB and Zach would be the backup. Boy was I wrong about that. Zach will get his chance when Haynes moves on and can be more developed as an accomplished QB. In fact, I think Zach could be the next Haynes King. Regardless, Brent Key can and will make us a consistent winner. I believe he bleeds gold and white and when the time comes when other programs come calling, I think he stays here for a long time.

As a friend once told me, “the winds of change are beginning to blow.” Brent, while a different coaching style, reminds me of Coach Dodd. He hates to lose (Dodd was highly competitive). In the days of transformation of CFB into a semi-pro game, Brent is smart enough to adapt as things change. In summary, I think we are in store for some good times and recruiting will only get better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News