ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING Morning Buzz: August 12th

Russell Johnson

Recruiting Analyst / Managing Editor
Staff
May 19, 2016
Good morning. This week has already seen some good news come Georgia Tech's way, both in recruiting and on the field.

It started on Monday with the news of Weston Franklin's commitment, and continued on Tuesday when the ACC announced that they are moving forward with football this fall, with the schedule that was recently released. So will the SEC and Big 12 at the Power Five level.

***I spent some time earlier this week talking with Westlake WR Leo Blackburn. He received official offers from Georgia Tech, TCU, Illinois, Toledo, and a couple of others. He told me that despite a pretty substantial level of interest still coming in from those schools, that he has shut things down.

"On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm at a 10," Blackburn said about his commitment. He and Jakiah have both spent a ton of time recruiting current teammate Horace Lockett to join them on the Flats.

Lockett is a four-star in the Class of 2022, and someone Georgia Tech fans should get to know.

*** I also spent some time recently talking again with Ala. TE River Helms. If you'll remember, he is one of two targets at the position that are remaining at the position, along with four-star Ky. TE Jordan Dingle.

Helms received official offers from Georgia Tech, UGA, Florida State, UCF, and Pitt among others. Louisville had been in the picture, but is also now out of the picture.

Since receiving those offers, the following has happened-
  • UGA landed TE Brock Bowers
  • Pitt flipped a TE from Michigan State
That's without mentioning that Florida State already has two committed, though they could still take Helms if he was ready to pull the trigger.

Helms, as well as several people involved in his recruitment, have insisted that he will not make a decision without being able to get on the road and take visits.

This delay, in my opinion, is also in hopes that Alabama will enter the picture at some point with an offer. Helms has been waiting/hoping for that offer for a while, but nothing has come from that just yet.

Brent Key is working this one as the primary recruiter, and the two have developed a very good relationship.

Unless Alabama enters the picture, this is (basically) a two-team race between Florida State and Georgia Tech. The two programs have spent quite a bit of time recently going against one another on the trail.

I'm not sure who that says more about, FSU's fall or GT's rise in recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News