ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Monday afternoon update 9/19

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
As of right now as I predicted expect Collins to be the coach for the moment. As I've stated a bunch I expect there to be changes in the coming weeks assuming they don't rip off wins the next two weeks somehow. Today was sort of the deadline if anything was going to happen this week.

There are still two issues at play here, the AD situation and where he stands in all of this, and then Collins.

From talking to people privately it is a matter of time for both positions to become open. The contract that Geoff Collins has is not remotely favorable to GT, ADTS has sat on his hands through all of this. He declined to talk to Ken after the game when approached for comment and he has said nothing publicly. I believe both Collins and ADTS know it is all over. I honestly think Collins has not been the same since the end of the 2021 season. That is my opinion though.

Everything at GT generally moves at a more glacial pace than at other places. People like to compare the ASU situation but they knew they were firing Herm Edwards back in January they just gave him enough of a leash to make it easier on them for any supporters he had left. Here the AD tied himself to Collins and really tied GT to Collins because of the $12+ million buyout number at the end of last year and the way the contract is written that buyout number doesn't even drop after the season like it should but rather 1/1/23. There is a difference of around $3-4 million if you fire him now compared to the end of the year. However, I can't see them retaining him until the end of the year and GT will have to eat that.

Sunday and Monday were business as usual for GT outwardly. The boosters I've spoken to want both gone, a lot of the parents have turned on Collins as well. A bunch were all over him after the Clemson game and then the same on Saturday as they are frustrated by the product as much as the fans are.

People want to know who would be the interim and that is not something I've heard anything on. The three most logical people if that goes down would be Chip Long, Brent Key (because they have two other OL coaches on the staff already) or Jim Chaney who has been an interim coach before he would upset the offense the least by taking over since he is just an analyst.

The most disturbing thing I've heard though beyond the parents being angry which I witnessed myself twice this season now is the coaching miscues like not being able to call plays against tempo on D, not having the D set from play to play, the lack of stamina for the DL if they are in a drive with extended plays, the body language of the players on the sideline and the leadership piece at key spots to rally the team. There isn't a guy huddling the team up on the sideline barking at them to get them fired up. Everyone is just kind of standing around and that is a direct reflection on the head coach and the leadership of the team.

Like I said Saturday night, I was not expecting anything to happen this past weekend or this week. I think it will take a little bit of time for it all to go down, but I would struggle to find anyone within the org right now other than a few in Collins' inner circle who believe he survives to the end of this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News