ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball, 2016; Staffing & Asst. Coaches(CJP Interviews, AAU, Misc.)

Re-branding of Ga. Tech name out there is needed. Might only have 8 on scholarship next season. Could lose one of the three signees. Talks of how two studs in 2017, one or two in 2018 can turn the whole dynamic around. Will hire a former HC for one of his AC slots.
CJP speaking with Andy Katz, Seth Greenberg. A little over 14 m.
http://m.espn.go.com/general/play?id=15271502

Believe the two walk-ons are Rowland and Heyward?Heath may wind up on a Medical. Okogie, Matthews coming aboard?

Ht. Wt. Class EXP Hometown/High School/Last College
10 Travis Jorgenson Guard 6-0 184 RS JR 2 VL Columbia, Mo./Rock Bridge HS/New Hampton (N.H.) School
5 Corey Heyward Guard 6-1 210 RS SR 2 VL Duluth, Ga./Peachtree Ridge HS/Hargrave Military Academy
1 Tadric Jackson Guard 6-2 209 JR 1 VL Tifton, Ga./Tift County HS
11 Josh Heath Guard 6-2 179 SR 1 VL Tampa, Fla./Tampa Preparatory School/South Florida
42 Rand Rowland Forward 6-7 213 SR 1 VL Cleveland, Ga./White County HS
12 Quinton Stephens Forward 6-9 203 SR 2 VL Atlanta, Ga,/Marist School
34 Abdoulaye Gueye Forward 6-9 218 JR 1 VL Dakar, Senegal/Central Park Christian (Birmingham, Ala.)
24 Sylvester Ogbonda Forward 6-10 238 SO HS Port Harcourt, Nigeria/National Christian Academy (Fort Washington, Md.)
44 Ben Lammers Center 6-10 231 JR 1 VL San Antonio, Texas/Alamo Heights HS

Coaches
Josh Pastner - Head Coach
Mike Bewley - Strength and Conditioning Coach
Richard Stewart - Assistant Athletic Trainer
Erica Sheppard - Administrative Coordinator

Thought Gueye was a So.-R, Ogbonda was a Fr.-R? Might not matter after next year?

Re-branding of Ga. Tech name out there is needed. Might only have 8 on scholarship next season. Could lose one of the three signees. Talks of how two studs in 2017, one or two in 2018 can turn the whole dynamic around. Will hire a former HC for one of his AC slots.
CJP speaking with Andy Katz, Seth Greenberg. A little over 14 m.
http://m.espn.go.com/general/play?id=15271502

A lot of talking about who can't work for him. MBob, please lead the hiring effort!

O.K., so just maybe I've endulged in too many South Beach snack bars today....but when did it become legal to eat elephant. Coach said you can only take one bite of elephant at a time. Does it taste like chicken?

We have plenty of open scholarships, as a given. Why not give some one-year Grad. Trf. 'Ships out? Can't hurt chemistry if we are going back one step next year, as expected. Plenty of playing time for the core and more.

This is not a list for CJP or Silent Bob. More to show the coaches coming here for one of the two JUCO/2016 player happenings in the country this coming weekend. Steve Prohm of Iowa St. is coming through town trying to grab 3 of the 2017 recruits led by Darius Perry.
http://www.jucoshowcase.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2016-Atlanta-Committed-List.pdf

We have 7 on scholarship returning, Heyward is one of them, not Rowland. Then as many as 3 newly signed if all make it. So its either 9 or 10.

We have 7 on scholarship returning, Heyward is one of them, not Rowland. Then as many as 3 newly signed if all make it. So its either 9 or 10.
Did you bother to listen to the interview? I clearly heard two walk-ons that CJP did not dispute. Name the other if Corey has not become one? Heard our Coach state we might only have two signees join us, could be with 8 total scholarship players.

I may make it 9. I'm now announcing that I plan to announce my announcement of my commitment to announce which school I will be announcing my commitment to. That announcement will be on May 2nd. I've narrowed my list down to Ga Tech, Hawaii, UNLV, American University of San Juan, and Agnes Scott.

I appreciate all the support you Tech people have provided to me while stalking my Facebook as I try to hook up wit da honeys. But now, I need to go get laid, smoke some weed, and focus on my upcoming announcement of where I will be announcing.

Word to yo momma, beaches! (Vanilla Ice is my hero)

You not only get poast of the day, you edged out Stech81 for the yearly lead.
Could you put in a referral for me, should you decide on Aggie Scott? I would like to be the ball boy for the remainder of the team's pleasure. They can harass me with zero complaints. Well except for the Center if she won't shave those armpits and facial hair.

Edited to toss this in the mixed green salad bowl:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...-guardians-accompany-recruits-official-visits

Last edited:
Josh with Jon, fast forward to the 9:50 mark where it starts through the 26th minute of the interview of a 32 minute show:
http://www.clammr.com/app/clammr/210161?extendedInfoAutoplay=1

It's not so much the X's and O's as it is the Jimmy and Joe's. He wants high level recruits that fit the Ga. Tech mission in 2017, 2018, 2019 to get where we need to be...and then so on after to maintain it. It's the kids on the floor!
Arizona was PG "U", Memphis was Guard U, Tech is both!!

Last edited:
Josh with Jon, fast forward to the 9:50 mark where it starts through the 26th minute of the interview of a 32 minute show:
http://www.clammr.com/app/clammr/210161?extendedInfoAutoplay=1

It's not so much the X's and O's as it is the Jimmy and Joe's. He wants high level recruits that fit the Ga. Tech mission in 2017, 2018, 2019 to get where we need to be...and then so on after to maintain it. It's the kids on the floor!
Arizona was PG "U", Memphis was Guard U, Tech is both!!
Most certainly a team must have good-great guards to compete at the top of the ACC.

Also, as others have mentioned I am a little confused about the lack of possible transfers. It could be that one man is not able to get to everything and his biggest priority right now is getting to the high school players. But we know that a couple good transfers can help a program.

I wonder if Greenberg might consider the job with Pastner?

I like it. Fans should be patient. Ken S isn't saying anything we haven't already said months ago and know. Everybody knows next season is going to be very difficult and a single-digit wins season is entirely possible. I like what I'm reading to plan for the future. '17-'18 (year 2 of CJP) is going to be rough as well. I know that. Ken and others don't need to harp on it. Year 3 is when we likely start seeing some significant progress. Hewitt ran this program into the ground and the associated contract affected the future. He has set this program back at least 7 years, maybe a full decade when all is said and done.

If I can live until 2020, that is when we hopefully will be free of paying off 2 coaches and CJP will have things tipping the iceberg of success annually. Hopefully.

Until then, more pain is on the way. Unfortunately for the overall Tech fan who cares about most all of the athletic programs, not just FB and Men's Hoops, the outlook to provide some smiles while we wait for MBB to get there in 3-4 years isn't rosey. I *do* think VB and WBB can be knocking on the NCAAT door next year. Both tennis programs are in good shape. Golf will rebound - just too young at the moment. The 2 big $$ sports though are going to struggle IMO. I'm struggling to find 6 wins on next year's FB schedule and that program is going to be at a helluva crossroads if CPJ turns in another crap season.

I view this hire as having a grade of incomplete until we know who Josh and Silent Bob brings in to fill out the staff, so I'm glad they are taking their time. I'm hoping the Bobber is spending most of his waking hours these days focused on assembling a staff that will provide Pastner the support he needs to be successful in the ACC. If that's the case, take as much time as you need Silent Bob!

We actually have 9 returning, until I hear our Coach tell us specifically who is not. According to Rothstein's interview with CJP, he said we may have a couple on the roster not stay with us, "we'll see".

A louder voice has mentioned that "Silent Bob" is taking applications, screening for initial interviews. Coach has met with some of them already. He will announce the decisions/acceptances in the next 10-14 days(we are all familiar with that time table from Bob in the past month). More Recruiting this weekend.

Don't ask about the roster, he isn't saying or really doesn't know.

First, there must of course be an announcement of when the announcement of the staff will take place - whether one by one or all at once. If there is no announcement of when the announcement will take place, then you really can't take it seriously. We need drama.

I'm hoping Bobinski stays the hell out of the process as much as possible.

I am trusting Silent Bob over the Boy Wonder on the ex-coach, X and O guy at least. Boy Wonder can hire his mini-me recruiter guys with their mobile phones taped to the side of their heads and call each other to brag about having no fun of any kind.

I jest, sort of.

DONKEY DoTHE SHERIFFcoffee

I am trusting Silent Bob over the Boy Wonder on the ex-coach, X and O guy at least. Boy Wonder can hire his mini-me recruiter guys with their mobile phones taped to the side of their heads and call each other to brag about having no fun of any kind.

I jest, sort of.

DONKEY DoTHE SHERIFFcoffee

An interesting viewpoint whether jesting or not. This and other posts you've made leads me to believe you are not that wild about "Boy Wonder". Hence, this leads me to believe you are not that crazy about the hire. Which then is odd that you support the man who made such a dastardly hire to hire more people.

Oh well. Since there ain't a damn thing I can do about it, I will just drink up and enjoy Tech Tennis.

When asked how many years he intends on being employed by Tech, Mike Bobinski quickly advised...

1techad.jpg

О нет , мы снова сосать

An interesting viewpoint whether jesting or not. This and other posts you've made leads me to believe you are not that wild about "Boy Wonder". Hence, this leads me to believe you are not that crazy about the hire. Which then is odd that you support the man who made such a dastardly hire to hire more people.

That is a fair point worthy of an explanation. Silent Bob has a good track record with basketball coaching hires.

Silent Bob had a much larger budget than DRad for the previous disastrous hire. He targeted a couple of guys, one of whom got vastly overpaid. I give SB credit for not chasing that figure.

He did not have enough budget to lure guys like Chris Mack away from his current roster (will be highly ranked preseason) to the smoking pile of debris on the Flats. I think his high risk, high reward while fiscally justifiable choice of Boy Wonder was a good one, given his options. Based on multiple interviews, I believe BW is very aware that one of the assistants is to be a former head coach who knows his strategy and tactics inside and out.

Given all of that, there have been a few things that scare me, given his reputation as a tireless recruiter and poor floor coach:

- The golf thing. It isn't about the golf. It is about that being the first question, implying it is the most important thing. If that is the most important thing to know I'll trust someone else to do the interviewing.
- Bringing up his 2.5 year undergraduate degree. It was almost 20 years ago. In Family Studies. I'm not a typical GT degree snob but don't brag about it.
- Jeff Schultz liked the hire
- I know some people in the broadcasting business. One of them had a few Memphis games last year. He said it was the least organized basketball team he has ever seen. He said a couple of opposing coaches asked before their respective games if he had watched the tape of Memphis, then they laughed. He has done games a long time and never had that happen before.

With all of that being said, we know the guy can recruit and that is job one in this situation. I trust SB to identify and try to address the weaknesses better than I trust Pastner. I don't believe he is mature enough to identify his own weaknesses and make a conscious attempt to hire people who are strong in those areas. I think SB knew it going in.

I hope that explains it. Pardon the novella.

No worries. You don't need to explain, but since you tried, here are my retorts, you ignorant slut...

1. The golf thing. Who the F cares? It was overblown and repeated. In the end I don't think it means squat. I don't believe for a second that it really is a defining factor and certainly don't think it is some kind of "first question". The drama of all that was humorous.

2. Same for the getting his degree in 2.5 years. None of that has anything to do with his success or not in being a winning CEO in the ACC.

3. Jeff Schultz is a twit. As are pretty much everybody writing at the AJC. His opinion whether positive or negative is about as meaningful as Kanye West's political views.

4. I don't know the people you are referencing obviously in the broadcasting business. Assuming the opinions shared are genuine and real, this is not good for Bobinski's run of hiring strong coaches.

5. I am not sure what to take about someone's maturity or lack thereof considering I find humor in telling and reading fart jokes on a message board more often than I should.

6. If this all works, then CJP and Bobinski will be geniuses. Well, mostly. If it goes down the crapper, then Bobinski will be the first to look at since this was his decision. And, as you've pointed out, this is what he was brought in to do. I hope he made the right decision. Looking at the rest of our athletic program - which I care very much about - I am not overly optimistic about the guy. Further, I trust him even less than getting a good laugh at a fart joke on a message board whenever he has his hands in anything at this point. The bigger ship is sinking.

NC St. has not hired over Lutz yet. Rumors flying on a couple of coaches.

Not sure if we are going to announce all three at once or in a 4 day period or if we hire two and wait another week or two on the last one. Also, need a Director of Ops. My source told me yesterday he will have some helpers(2, 3?)within 2 weeks or a week after the spring football game at the earliest.

No worries. You don't need to explain, but since you tried, here are my retorts, you ignorant slut...

1. The golf thing. Who the F cares? It was overblown and repeated. In the end I don't think it means squat. I don't believe for a second that it really is a defining factor and certainly don't think it is some kind of "first question". The drama of all that was humorous.

All I'll say about that is that Boy Wonder needs to not emphasize something is his first question if it isn't. Let's hope it is a teachable moment, as the politically correct say. Or it hurts when I do that, then don't do that as the comedians used to say.

Going against Schultz is the surest way to predictive success the world has seen. Schultz once said stech81 didn't really like beer.

So there.

JT622, Voice of Reason-
You hit it perfectly in my opinion. The number 4 thing is a bunch of crud. Remember what the announcers said a few months ago on CBG, defending him and how loaded we will be next season. I sat in the Diamond Club with Raycom, ESPN and all media types at the A C C Tourney five years ago on the weekend Hewitt was fired-half loved him, half trashed him. They don't see a coach enough.

Did CJP make some mistakes the last two years? Yes, he admitted such. The facts remain, his record during that time was better than our previous coach with his best two seasons put together here.

I have 3 questions I ask when being interviewed. I switch them up sometimes in order just to break up the system. They are...

1. Do you allow drinking during normal working hours and on premises?
2. Am I allowed a reefer smoke break both in the morning and afternoon?
3. I plan to take a lot of dumps during working hours and expect to get paid for the time I'm doing this. If I happen to take a dump during non-working hours while still on premises, can I receive overtime or a bonus for extra time working?

When interviewing candidates, I ask 2 questions...

1. Have you ever worked on a bad team? Then, have them elaborate why and how they dealt with it. If they say no, I don't want 'em because they are either incredibly inexperienced or naive OR they are lying. I don't want any of that. I don't have a bad team. One reason is I like to have people who have experienced the agony of being on a bad team, understand why it sucked and how to avoid it, etc. And, people who have some experience, are not naive, and don't lie.
2. Are you a fan of North Carolina Athletics? If so, they are eliminated immediately. An alum never gets past the resume' review of course, but you never know with some of these Cheater fans.

Technically, Schultz would've been right. stech81 does not like beer is true. He loves it.

JT622, Voice of Reason-
You hit it perfectly in my opinion. The number 4 thing is a bunch of crud. Remember what the announcers said a few months ago on CBG, defending him and how loaded we will be next season. I sat in the Diamond Club with Raycom, ESPN and all media types at the A C C Tourney five years ago on the weekend Hewitt was fired-half loved him, half trashed him. They don't see a coach enough.

Did CJP make some mistakes the last two years? Yes, he admitted such. The facts remain, his record during that time was better than our previous coach with his best two seasons put together here.

You are comparing a private conversation between me and someone I've known personally for 15 years with 1) on air remarks during a game (almost always pro-coach) and 2) people speaking around people they don't know.

NC St. has not hired over Lutz yet. Rumors flying on a couple of coaches.

Not sure if we are going to announce all three at once or in a 4 day period or if we hire two and wait another week or two on the last one. Also, need a Director of Ops. My source told me yesterday he will have some helpers(2, 3?)within 2 weeks or a week after the spring football game at the earliest.
thanks for the update. plenty of speculation. I hope NCSU is having trouble because all the best coaches are talking to Bobinski and Pastner

CghGTzBWwAAXBCp.jpg

Let's play name the guy who looks out of place. HIPPY DIPPY

11 Alive's Jeff Hullinger claimed he was out on a golf course. Funny. Looks to me like he is at Tech's new practice facility.

I wish this was one of our bigger concerns. ;)

2. Same for the getting his degree in 2.5 years. None of that has anything to do with his success or not in being a winning CEO in the ACC.

3. Jeff Schultz is a twit. As are pretty much everybody writing at the AJC. His opinion whether positive or negative is about as meaningful as Kanye West's political views.

4. I don't know the people you are referencing obviously in the broadcasting business. Assuming the opinions shared are genuine and real, this is not good for Bobinski's run of hiring strong coaches.

5. I am not sure what to take about someone's maturity or lack thereof considering I find humor in telling and reading fart jokes on a message board more often than I should.

6. If this all works, then CJP and Bobinski will be geniuses. Well, mostly. If it goes down the crapper, then Bobinski will be the first to look at since this was his decision. And, as you've pointed out, this is what he was brought in to do. I hope he made the right decision. Looking at the rest of our athletic program - which I care very much about - I am not overly optimistic about the guy. Further, I trust him even less than getting a good laugh at a fart joke on a message board whenever he has his hands in anything at this point. The bigger ship is sinking.

Wait...

You don't like Kanye's political views?
CONFUSED

CghGTzBWwAAXBCp.jpg

Let's play name the guy who looks out of place. HIPPY DIPPY

11 Alive's Jeff Hullinger claimed he was out on a golf course. Funny. Looks to me like he is at Tech's new practice facility.

I wish this was one of our bigger concerns. ;)
Looks like he is trying to instruct those golfers to get low, flex the knees, tap the court(I mean turf with the palms of their hands). Play some defense boys!

Funny excerpt from CJP while considering the job and speaking with President Bud Peterson...."He mentioned calculus about a dozen times. I thought he was going to ask me to take the class".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT