ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 9/16

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Quick now..5 best offensive linemen regardless of position year, etc.

KQ- Not in order and of course my opinion, Mikey Minihan, Kenny Cooper, Jack DeFoor, Mike Maye and Connor Hansen.

Any news on Justin Robinson? At one point there was some chatter but it’s been quiet on the front.

RJ- The thought was that UGA was going to drop him, but those whispers have quieted as of late.

We will see as time goes on if that picks back up. They’ll be selective with that spot, and with the group of commits they have at the position, they’ve earned the right to do so.

Any new information on why they used Dolphus for the uniform unveil. Or what’s up with him?

KQ- Did they use him? I didn't notice. I have no idea what is wrong with him, but he is out.

Is there any news on when Jayson Jones is planning to visit again since he couldn't get a ride to the USF game?

RJ- He tried again this week, but it just didn’t work out. He’ll be on the visitor list again for the next home game, and I suspect he’ll make it after talking to people close to him this weekend.

Who do you think will be the first 2021 commit?

RJ- Jordan Davis, Dingle, and Zavier Carter are the first three that come to mind, but there will be some surprises in the 21 class.

Progress report on Lockhart?

KQ- Working hard, it is a process for him. If he had gotten in early that would've probably helped him be a little more ready. He still is learning what to do since he is so new to football.

Favorite college football uni Besides GT?

KQ- I've always liked the classic USC uniforms and the home LSU uniforms.

RJ- LSU’s purple jersey with white helmets, and the “Dallas” jersey that SMU wore earlier this year.

Best Fried chicken in Atlanta? Colonnade would be my choice

KQ- I love Gus's Fried Chicken because I love spicy. For more regular fried chicken I like Paschal's especially in the airport. I have not been to the Colonnade, I might check that out this coming weekend because I'll be out that way.

If CGC asked you to dress up on the sidelines in your favorite Star Wars costume and jump up and down with a money down sign...

A) would you do it? And if you would...
B) what character?

KQ- I would not, but if when I've dressed up as a Star Wars character in the past it was Chewie. My son was Yoda since he was so small back then.

Color me unimpressed with Coach Dave P. This Citadel game is brutal to watch. I think it ought to be mandatory he hires Friedgen to be the OC Consultant. This is the worst offense I have seen since 1993-1994.

What happened on the play where the QB was audibling and Cooksey never flinched? I guess he never saw the field again?

KQ- It looked like they wanted Cooksey to go in motion and he didn't. At first he actually ran off the field at the beginning of the play. Not sure what the heck was going on.

Thoughts on the three taunting penalties? Should have never happened once, but three times? Lack of discipline?

KQ- There were two others that were not called that could've been called on Tariq Carpenter and David Curry. Curry even posted the play on instagram which I thought was strange. It was really weird. There was a lot of jawing in the Clemson and USF games, but it was two-sided. That was maybe the worst penalty performance since the last game at BYU for GT.

Rev Richt. The guy looks drained. He doesn’t look like the joy of the Lord is in him since seeing him after his Miami days. Is this just his personality or do you think something deeper?

KQ- He has always been like that from day one at UGA. Always had the personality of a doorstop. He is really strange dude, very nice but strange.

Have you or Seccuro met the new beesball Coach? Thoughts? Met him last week and he seems like a great fit for our program. Definitely excited about the direction of our program!

KQ- Yes, put a video up on him a while ago early in fall camp maybe when he was finally on campus. Seems like a tremendous guy.

Will there be a recruiting lounge in our new building? I know other schools have them and I saw our recruits under a tent on top of Peters parking deck last Saturday.

KQ- I do not know the answer to that. They have some places to take them inside sometimes or they could use the indoor, but I guess they are doing something different. I haven't asked any of them what they are doing for game visits.

Does Coach Collins go to High School football games on Friday nights? I know I have seen pictures of Kirby at games but never saw coach Johnson anywhere.

KQ- They are allowed one visit per recruit on the road so Kirby is blowing those when he goes to a game for a kid. Collins has been to several HS when he first got started and he did the helicopter thing as well.

RJ- There are limitations on these kind of visits, and because of that, it doesn’t normally happen until later in the season.

With a bye week coming up, the coaches are very likely going to be out on the road, using some of their evaluation days.

What are CGC’s responsibilities during the game on game day? We’ve got a DC calling the defense and an OC calling offensive plays. Curious as to what CGC could be accurately credited for or blamed for during the game.

KQ- He is talking on the headset to the offensive staff when they are on the field, I can see that myself. When the D is on the field I see him talking a good bit, but it seems like Thacker is in control of the calls. Collins will often give a dap to a kid coming off the field or whatever. I know Collins has some say in the special teams calls as well, but they are organized by the coach in charge either CCW or CJP2 for punt, kick or return. I would have to ask him what else he does, there is a lot of in-game management stuff like clock and talking to refs that he has to do.

If Georgia Tech had a donor that was willing to donate unlimited financial resources to grow the GT football and/or basketball program, what do you think would be the most impactful thing to invest in first?

KQ- With hoops they are just not funded as well as a Duke from top to bottom. They have one of the lower overall budgets in the ACC from what I understand and it has been that way for a while. That makes sense since Cuse, Duke or UNC are racking in cash on hoops while GT makes some money but isn't getting rich off hoops. I think you could invest in staff on and off the court and make a bigger splash there.

Football wise, they need space to grow. I know they are pretty tapped out in terms of office space for staff and they need more areas to grow and step up things on that end. That would be a big investment money wise. I know that GOL wanted to have that area that just basically has coach Collins and one other office facing the field actually be all of the coaches' offices overlooking the stadium. That is something that I imagine would cost a ton to do, but would open up a lot of space if you could physically do it.

What would the impact on GT sports be if Georgia legislature starts working on a similar bill that was passed by California and is now being considered by South Carolina regarding college players being compensated for likeness, etc. I do not want to get political, purely looking for your opinion on the direct impact to school athletics.

KQ- It would be a boon for UGA who have a huge war chess of money to pay kids and a ton of fans who would buy a Fromm jersey or a Zeus jersey. That would not really help GT a ton. I don't think you'd see a ton of JP Mason jerseys around the ATL. It would really depend on the wording and how the money flowed and how it was distributed, but I'm sure Collins could work it into something over states that didn't have it, but would still struggle against UGA's Wal-mart fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News