ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 8/7

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Do you think this could be our best group of ABs ever? Clinton Lynch should be getting way more preseason buzz. Also why wouldn't JJ Green go back to being KR?

They are a little thinner at A-back experience wise with Ike Willis gone, so I think they will be more careful with how they use JJ Green back there. He could end up back there again though. Depth wise, I still think 2014 takes the cake with I believe it was 5 seniors.

Will the Wreck lead the team onto the field at Mercedes?

Yes, see

from @C.rut

"I can answer that one for you. Yes, the Reck will be leading the team out at MBS. I believe there was initial pushback from MBS due to concerns about damage to the turf, but Chick-Fil-A helped the Driver make it happen."

Out of our top remaining recruits, who do you expect to call GT's name?

Right now, Juanyeh Thomas, aside from that no one is doing anything soon.

To what do you attribute our moderately better recruiting results on the defensive side of the ball the past couple of years?

Having a steady group of defensive assistants with connections. CAM's connections in South GA and Tennessee and CTR with the Swilling family for example were a big part of those kids coming to GT.

With Tennessee being ranked in the Top 25 going into our CFA-Kickoff game, assuming we win the Nationally telecasted game, do you think that would be enough to get us into the Top 25 considering how far we currently seem to be right now (I realize there may be other teams above us that might lose, too, which would help, but my question is whether us beating UT be enough for us to get in without any other upsets)?

Depends on what happens in some other games, but I think it would take a GT beatdown of Tenn to propel GT into the top 25 at the end of week 1.

What is the players schedule like during camp

They eat breakfast, have team and position meetings, then lunch, more meetings then camp, dinner and some fun stuff sprinkled in like a movie or some other stuff. It is pretty much the same stuff day to day for 17 days or so.

Help us parse the coach speak. What are some indicators that you look for when you talk to Cpj that help you decipher his true feelings about our prospects for the season?

Well in 2015 he kept saying the team was not as good as people thought they were, he had similar concerns in 2010 because it seemed like some of the kids were overly confident and he was worried about Groh's D. When he is pleasant and upbeat he thinks the team should be good.

I truly enjoy your candor when discussing recruits but sometimes I read things and wonder if you ever get flamed by coaches, parents, etc.?

Not particularly, my opinions are educated and typically backed up by things that are easily provable via video or on the field production or offers or whatever. I'm far from outspoken compared to others in my field.

Same for any news or opinions. Ever get flamed by the coaches?

Once or twice, but typically not really. Most of the staff respect my opinions even if they don't agree with something I've said. Typically a flippant choice of phrase is what draws some ire from people.

What recruits who were high on us could flip back to us before signing day in February? Like Henderson from Newton last year.

I'd keep an eye on KD Hill (Ole Miss) the DT from Alabama, they still poke around on ATH Alontae Taylor (Tenn) and maybe OL Ollie Lane (Tenn) or OL Walker Culver (Colorado) if something happens with those HCs.

What's your thoughts on David Pollack? He said today on 92.9 the game that our expectations are 6-7 wins every year. I would disagree but I would say that our fan base would be happy wi5h an average of 8 wins a year.

I think with the obstacles GT has (academics/lack of fans) that is probably an accurate perception. Outside of good HCs, CPJ, Ross and O'Leary with Ralph as OC, that is has been sort of the overall trend with ups and a bunch of downs mixed in. Gailey was sort of the epitome of that, a decent coach is going to put up those type of results. I think fans want 8-10 wins a year, but I think coaches and experts see the program right now as a 6-8 win type deal with the level of support both from the academic arm and money wise.

How do you think UGAs season will fair? Do you see them being good or did they really screw the pooch when they fire Richter?

I'm not a big fan of what they did to Richt. I think he was the best coach they've probably ever had there and he did a lot more than probably anyone after him will do. I know some of my old buddies in the Athletic Association agree with me on that and think they screwed up royally hiring Kirby Smart. However, Kirby is not an idiot and he may figure things out, but I feel like he is repeating the same mistakes Will Muschamp made at Florida with OC hires that don't fit the personnel and the desired philosophy of the HC and that could really put him in a tough spot in a year or two.

If we beat UGA this year is Smart on the hot seat?

I don't think so, but that is mainly because he is an alum and a former player and will be given a longer rope than if he was say Jeremy Pruitt with no real ties to the alums.

Who are we looking at to enroll early on our commitment list so far?

I need to check on that, it was up in the air last I asked. One or two kids already told me they changed their minds and are not going to enroll early. They want to enjoy their senior years. PJ Harris was one.

Do we have any players with substantive eligibility risk as we wait for summer semester final grades?

Not to my knowledge and PJ has said that no one was at risk. Typically he was say if there is someone with some issues or at least hint at it. Everyone was accounted for when camp opened up as far as I could tell. They already have summer grades.

You think Paul prefers a QB that can run the midline a lot or a speedster like JT?

I don't think he has a preference but he doesn't like a guy JT's size because they CANNOT run the midline at all and tend to shy away from contact. That was really his only issue with JT and hasn't really been an issue other than with JT and Vad at the end of his last year at GT.

You think we go with a solely 3 WR rotation? How many snaps can Camp steal from Stewart and Jeune?

Not sure, Antonio Messick can certainly play and it depends on what the calls are more than anything. If they are throwing or decoying throwing and having the guys run a lot downfield then they will have to rotate more than compared to a midline/power running play style.

For the love of God can we be simple on defense vs Tennessee?

Up to CTR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News