ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 7/11

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Which true freshmen are making noise in workouts showing potential in physical development? Which returning players have done the best job of developing their bodies over the offseason?

Newbies, Mikell Lands-Davis looks good as do the Morgan twins and Brant Mitchell and Victor Alexander. returning guys, Trey Klock, Freddie Burden, Jabari Hunt-Days, Terrell Lewis and Will Bryan look good.

Rank top GT recruiting classes since you've been covering GT

1st- 2015
2nd- 2014
3rd- 2010

Toughest 3 fames for GT this year?

I'm guessing you mean games. On the road against Clemson and Notre Dame and against UGA, always a tough fight.

Percentage Donovaughn Campbell comes to GT?

No clue, so much depends on what happens with Christian Campbell and how he likes it here. I won't have a feel for that until later in the year.

3 freshman who will have biggest impact thus year?

Christian Philpott, Will Bryan and Victor Alexander.

In your offense recruiting sit-rep, you mentioned Jordan Johnson's brother, Kaleb, was a Tech lean until his academics forced him to eliminate us. Are there any similar academic issues for Jordan that might prevent his entry to GT?

Nope, way different personalities, I knew Kaleb pretty well and his brother is nothing like him and Jordan would tell you the same thing.

Whatever happened with Garrett rigby? Will we keep a ship open for him?

Committed to Harvard and they told him to screw off after the media relations spin.

Will dennis Andrews get a shot at a school like ucf or usf? Would like to see him succeed somewhere else cause he is a soft spoken well mannered person as evidenced in his youtube interviews. Real sad the staff just dumped him like that. Retched the 2015 spring game and he played really well, looked fast broke tackles well.

No clue what Dennis is going to do.

Whatever happened to Greg Garrett? Does he still do some work for u Kelly or post here?

Gregg is around and on the board lurking. He has never "worked" for me, LOL!

How much does bryan cook make

Not sure haven't' seen the new coaches salaries yet.

Do you have any insight into how the workouts between JT and the rest of the skilled positions are coming along this summer?

No but I will ask around.

Spring game Jeune looked close to on the same page as JT on the option routes. How important is that to our offense and what are hearing about how insync they are?

Ricky is a pretty skilled WR and he probably ends up being the number one guy this year so that is a solid observation.

If we`re lucky and Lashley, Campbell, and Kearns all three want to commit, do we take them all? And if not, who DO we take?

Yeah they would make room for Campbell who will be the last of that group to decide, the others would be takes anytime.

Maybe too early to tell, but what red shirt freshman has made the most progress or surprised you the most?

Workouts are not a great place to make that observation, that is best figured out during fall camp.

In last week's Mailbag you listed 13 OL names for 2016. Of those, who do you think will have the potential to be Mason/Burden/Braun caliber "dominators" like we had last year?

For 2016, I like Klock/Brown/Burden/DeVine/Bryan that is a pretty solid OL.

Pinckney, Smith, Carter andTillman at DT. Odds on each one??

I can't give you odds on any of those, all are pretty undecided right now. Hence why I said that is all up in the air in the story this week.

Do you think there would ever be a chance to snag another Aussie like Gotsis, or was that just a one-time thing? When you look at the Aussie team that is playing in OH this week, they all just look like they have that Gotsis swagger.

Yes, it is PJ's former player that runs the team that developed Adam so they will get some dibs on any potential targets. Adam was a rare find though.

Any idea when Trysden Hill will be rated?

Not sure, I sent in his stuff to our Florida guy.

How is Shamire doing in his off season workouts and diet? Having lost two receivers to the NFL, will there be a "go to" receiver emerge in the fall camp? I know that Jeune is supposedy that guy. I see Summers as a nice contributor, but not sure he will get the touches. I also am not sure the freshmen will make any contributions as blocking may require some development and experience. Who will replace Quayshon at MLB?

Shamire is around the same size as spring ball, he has not lost any weight as of right now. I doubt he will before fall camp. In the 4-2-5, Marcordes will play Nealy's role and in the 4-3 it will be Beau Hankins and either Brant Mitchell or Victor Alexander.

Will philpot be our fastest reciever? Summers?

I'm not really sure, probably based off just times it will be Summers.

Does the training staff have all the players run timed 40s as part of offseason conditioning? I see these lists for fastest times at places like fsu and UF and wondered if Tech does the same. I know I've seen tweets in which guys have broken lifting records but don't recall speed ones.

Yes they do speed testing with Sisk and if you recall they had JT race Snoddy a year ago for example. They do plenty of running, but specific 40s are done for testing purposes more than anything else. That is not the best way to speed train.

Snoddy is back at full practice, is he back to full speed? Did he run in any track events this year?

They aren't practicing, if you mean training, yes, he has been fully cleared to run and lift without restriction in April. He ran the last ACC meet but he told me he ran like crap because he had just started to run again.

Have you noticed much physical change in the true freshmen that played last year? A year in the weight room plus a year of on field experience should do wonders for step, freeman, the twins etc..

Freeman is noticeably bigger, said he is up to nearly 245, Klock is bigger, the Austin twins look about the same to me. Qua Searcy is a tad thicker.

How is the newly planted turf at BDScoming along and is the grounds crew confident it will be ready for the season opener?

I've heard everything will be ready, they are really good at what they do and the grass will be good to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News