ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 6/4

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
It seems now days in recruiting more players are committing then decommitting do you think the NCAA will come up with something to maybe change this?

NCAA can't do anything about it, it is non-binding verbal commitments. It is more reflective of poor guidance of kids from their families and coaches to me than anything else. They are letting kids get pressured into commits or kids are jumping on the first option they "like" instead of being sure of what they want.

Also see Gee is posting a lot of things on his social media accounts about us do you think he is close to committing?

I think so, it will be interesting to see if he jumps on the GT ship. I think they lead for him.

Michigan State has done very well in Either their scouting or development or both of players from Georgia. Guys like Keith Mumphrey out of Vienna (HS valedictorian) and Darqueze Dennard to name a couple. What do you attribute this to?

Decent scouting, they've only signed 11 players from Georgia in 16 years, four were in the last two cycles, they have some coaches that have done a nice job and the school is good at developing talent.

How would you compare contrast Justin thomas vs James Graham from HS video?

Graham is a bigger, Thomas had more top end speed and was more accurate as a passer, but I think Graham fits the offense better. He has more size and is a tougher runner than JT was. It will be interesting to see his development long term.

What is the best recruiting strategy/tactic that has worked for GT? And which one has worked best when recruiting against GT?

Life after football and showing what the kids do with their degrees works really well. The calculus text book works really well, it worked on keeping my brother from going to GT, back in 1989, LOL.

Stansbury was at Oregon State on their rise from a baseball nobody to national champions. Oregon has next to zero baseball talent compared to Ga. Do you have any idea of his expectations for GT Baseball?

I do not know what Stansbury's expectations are, but I can tell you that Pat Casey the coach at Oregon State was horrendous for about a decade before they started winning. I have no idea what he did, but it turned around and I'm sure it was administrator based. I'm sure Stansbury wants a competitive program and has talked to Danny Hall about his expectations.

How much longer do we have to put up with Danny hall?

I'm sure he has at least 2019 to sort it out.

With essentially the same players, do you believe our defense will improve that much with CNW? I certainly hope so, but part of me believes it won’t be as significant as many expect.

From talking with people around the program and staff, I think they will be better, but it will take a little longer to see a more profound difference. Honestly though, the bar is low so a little better gives GT three more wins last year and a chance at a 9-win season.

LeBron or MJ?

Jordan would average like 40 ppg in the league now. What people don't realize is players hand-checked and were way more physical when MJ played than now. Same with Larry Bird whose numbers as almost the same as LeBron's. Check out the video below, guys would get suspended now for the way Rodman played MJ. MJ also only had one other shooter on the court with him at any time (Paxson/Armstrong/Kerr) most of his career. So it was harder for him when he was doubled, he was throwing the ball to Horace Grant or Bill Cartwright or Pippen who couldn't shoot outside 14-feet.

Is Larry Dowdy’s 5.4 2-Star rating a placeholder or is that a legit rating? What’s your take on him as a prospect?

I think it is close to his likely rating. To be honest, I haven't spent much time watching his tape yet. I'm hoping to go see him in person in the fall for a true evaluation.

What are your thoughts on Amerson’s skills? Glad to see him commit. High 3 Star and seems like a GT type kid.

Jerry Howard/Dedrick Mills, squared shoulders power runner who doesn't cut super well, but can run through tackles. That is a big part of what they need at B-back, I think he is fast enough to get out into space like Mills or Howard and make some plays. He won't be Jon Dwyer, but he can be a a guy who runs for 1 to 1.5k in this offense and move the chains.

Have you ever been to Louisville? Do you have any suggestions for places to see or restaurants to hit up?

I've driven through many times, but only have stopped for lunch or something. I'm looking forward to that trip since it will be a new experience.

So what exactly is the point of being a "silent Commit"? Is there a purpose to it Im just oblivious to or is it just some kids preference to avoid the initial publicity?

The most obvious reason is a kid wants to have a ceremony or special event to announce his decision, but he tells the staff he is committed because he doesn't want them to give his spot to someone else. That is like 85% of the reason why kids do it. Sometimes schools have them stay quiet if they are still planning to take visits so it doesn't look as bad since the kid just committed.

I noticed this spring that CMS is walking with a cane. What is the nature of his ailment?

Mike had a hip replacement, he should be good to go by Fall Camp, his hobbled status was fodder for many jokes by CPJ over the last few days of camp. CPJ even got me for limping (from my knee injury) and said I was walking worse than Sewak. LOL

* Can you recap our summer camp schedule? Was this weekend the only one or do we have another later in the summer?

These two camps were it. Most schools are only doing June camps now because of changes to the NCAA schedule (more dead time in June and July) and league meetings.

* Seems like we usually have a lot of our top targets hanging around campus during our camp, campers earning offers and then a flurry of commits the following week. Reports from this weekend's camp felt different. Am I reading that correctly? Will June still be a big month for commits?

So they've offered around the same amount of kids as last year. This year they've had more kids come in and watch spring ball and there were a few big camps that guys went to as well that thinned out some of the visitors. What you may remember is Pelton loaded up all his DL visitors and had them at the June camp, so they got half of those kids. CAM also had a couple of guys come and watch as well like Quez Jackson and Jaylon King, but that was merely a timing coincidence, Quez came with teammates. They had two kids with offers camp this year which they have not had in a while, Tomari Fox and Jahquez Evans.

* Amerson reminds me a little of Charles Perkins coming out of HS. Good comp?

Sort of, he reminds me more of Howard.

* Apologize if this has already been addressed, but is the bball program at risk for any penalties (assuming minor) based on LaBarrie's violations? Or does dismissing him put that to bed?

I've been told that the GT has been told by the NCAA there will be no further penalties or sanctions from that episode and they are back in the good graces.

We’re within 60 days of when Sturdivant said he’d decide. Staff’s feelings about our chances?

They are unsure what he is going to do.

Same with Robinson and Ramsey. Any feelings of optimism or are both still longshots?

Robinson's recruitment is a mess. Ramsey is a real long shot right now.

Dreaming of the realistic, yet ideal threesome we could land, who would that be to you? Sturdivant, Watson and who, Disu or Massoud? Which three?

I'm not sure to be honest.

Do we have any shot at Clay Webb from Alabama? I know he’s a national recruit, but sure would be great to land a OL with potential to make a big impact. Any OL on our current roster that could emerge as a better player than their ranking (i.e. Shaq Mason)?

He has not eliminated GT, so there is some type of shot, it might be single digits, but it is better odds than winning the lotto.

If we can get Cooper back, I’m pretty high on this OL with Bryan, Marshall, Braun, Lee, Morgan twins, etc. We have experience and all these guys have been in the program for a while, which helps.

I agree, the OL should be a strength area as should most of the offense with WR being the only area of concern.

How would you rank our current QB targets for the 2019 class?

The only ones I think they have a shot at are George Johnson, Jahquez Evans and Robert Harvey. I think they will offer that Knight kid from camp this weekend. They need to take two and I think all of them are close together with Johnson being probably the best one.

Who are better than 50/50 chances to commit in both football and basketball?

I don't like odds, but hoops Watson is the only one I'd put over 50 right now, football, Gee, Dylan McMahon and Jahquez Evans.

Do most former players have a favorable opinion of CPJ?

Of his players from his era, yeah most do or they at least respect him. There are only two guys I know of from CPJ's era who have beefs with him and they are both personal and I think dumb issues. Even the transition guys from Chan to PJ are pretty positive toward CPJ.

Reactions: Gtechwave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News