ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 5/4

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Kelly, Based on your previous comments, I'm assuming that the staff will be very selective and wait for a "big-body" B-back for the "last" RB spot.

-Yeah, big bodied and quick would be ideal. CMS is going to see Dedrick Mills this week so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

If Allen really steps up and balls-out in the Fall, would that affect the RB choice that PJ makes? Does MA have two years left, or is it possible that he leaves after next year?

-Allen has two years left and it would be unconceivable for him to leave if he has a great year. I know Allen may be able to graduate early however if it doesn’t work out, otherwise he has two seasons left.

Why can't we recruit in Basketball? Is Tom Herrion helping recruiting?

-Herrion has helped open the doors to some guys like Sterling Gibbs to visit. I haven’t heard a ton about him with specific kids though. Chad Dollar is sort of the main guy recruiting along with Mamadou.

Was Travis Custis really better than the Laskey/Days epic 1-2 punch that led us to a coastal title, a win over UGA, and an Orange Bowl victory??? 18 year old????? I was confused if you were being serious or not.

-He wasn’t 18, he would have turned 20 by midseason, so get that out of your mind and yes, he was the most talented B-back PJ has had on scholarship at Georgia Tech INCLUDING Dwyer…

Can you tell us the impact Derrick Moore (Chaplain) and Joe Hamilton are having with our recruiting efforts? I assume with Derrick getting such good play time from his motivational speeches with the team, he's talking to recruits when they're on campus, and with Joe making the College Football Hall of Fame, that should help, too...They don't go on the road, do they?

- Joe is excellent with kids and parents and a reminder of good times at GT. He wears his HOF ring when recruits are around just like the coaches have OB rings and ACC rings. Moore is great for JR Day type events and camps. He is a great speaker and motivator and he plays a big role with the team as well.

Your thoughts on Billy Schmidt ..
He leaves quickly & quietly for the Gator Job only to have Donovan go to the NBA !

- I hear he will be joining Donovan in OKC, so I think the desired effect was reached. He wanted a way to get on a NBA staff in some capacity.

I play fantasy college football in a very competitive league with 11 other friends.
JT only had 5 rushing TDs until the bowl game last year! He is going to increase his rushing TDs this year, but by how many? Can he get to 2000/1000(last year was 1719/1086)?

- No clue, remember they will have Skov and Allen, two big pounders to punch it in and some question marks at WR.

Obviously things will shake out in the fall, but if you had to guess right now, who would be the BB to draft?

- Not sure what the question is...

When the Rams drafted Todd Gurley, one of their current RBs (Zac Stacy) immediately and publicly demanded a trade. I've never seen that play out publicly like that. Do you think that happens more often than the NFL teams or player publicize?

- He was the only one dumb enough to tweet it, but it happens all the time at a variety of positions.

May is a month that we sometimes see some commits, though none last year. Are there any immediate takes out there close to committing? Or is the coaching staff going to wait until June and July camps to start squeezing?

-I think Jack DeFoor could do something this month, he is the closest to committing to either GT or Clemson.

What's the latest on the Edge Center renovations? That is one facility which we are way

behind others.

-The last time I was in the Edge I didn’t notice a whole lot going on, but I’ll check. It is kind of a dump compared to what other schools have especially on the admin side of the building. PJ has used paint and band aids to make the football side look much better along with the renovations to the players areas and offices and major modifications down stairs.

Kelly- I put a comment up the other day regarding our attempts at recruiting southern DLs. I felt it was a rather serious subject And there were several others who essentially agreed, which made me feel as if it were a reasonable comment.

I still feel that the northern territory should be seriously covered, especially for those players not born being bred on the SEC - which clearly is our biggest problem locally.

Is it possible for you to mention to your contacts that you have an obnoxious idiot member which won`t leave the subject alone, and maybe get a reason why we`re apparently leaving the "Groh Territory" alone. Or if something IS being done, what has our experience been, and are we going to forget it or work harder? And assume Trey Klock is the last kid we`ll ever get from up there?

I, and I assume a few others, would sure like to know about how we are taking advantage of our National Ranking.

- They spot recruit kids all the time up north but there aren’t really any seriously interested guys right now. Klock will not be the last northern kid signed by GT, come on man!

Apropos Jacket Up's question on national recruiting, but also thinking that little came of "The Migration" effort, have we doubled-down on national efforts (never saw the ROI two years ago when we tried) or just hunkered down in traditional markets??? Any recruiting areas assigned to coaches outside the SE?

- It didn’t really work other than to stir up fans. That had more to do with guys using their connections to recruit kids more than a twitter movement.

Recruitment of Tyrell Lewis???

-Who the hell is that, what freaking sport? There is no one being recruited in any sport in the last five years with that name or in the future…

Thinking that if you don't have a strategy and a plan to operationalize, you're just wandering the wilderness trying to survive day to day. Which I'm now convinced is Mbob's M.O. so not bugging you to ask him anything about where we're going since he wouldn't know. But didn't we hire a marketing guru from Texas with glitzy credentials? Might you interview him about a marketing strategy and establishing the brand, filling empty BDS seats?

- Yeah I’ll see what I can do.

Considering how much grief you get over star rankings would you prefer they were done away with?

- No they are very useful on multiple levels and have been around since before they were called 4 or 5 stars.

What are your thoughts on the odds for each of the guys that signed UFA deals?
Lasky - Rams
Days - Cowboys
Johnson – Lions

Nealy- Seahawks

Isaiah has a good chance to make it, the rest will only make on the practice squad at best IMO based on what I’ve heard.

What is your forecast for how much more attrition we are going to see this summer?

- I put the number at two scholarships, just a guess not based on anything I’m hearing.

With the NFL and Football factories moving away from the running game, does that help us to get the attenion of prime running back recruits. It seems that shy of UGA, many SEC tailbacks are mostly second line pass protectors.

ime for the pendulum to begin swinging away from the SEC. Got whipped on the field last year by GT and others. Didn't dominate on draft day. More specifically, we need to demonstrate in our own little patch of the world that we are the Dogs' equal or better.......Kelly, how do you see the state of Dawg football, 2015? Seems like with Pruitt's high profile ways and now Bobo gone and the new OC changing things they have instability. Too early to tell? I love our stability and continuity now.

- The B-back thing is an interesting weird thing. I still don’t get why they can’t land an elite guy. UGA, I have no clue, I don’t really follow what is going on over there until the season gets closer. I know they have some QB issues though.

Reactions: ekreb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News