ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 5/20

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Does CGC and staff have enough charisma, salesmanship, explanations, etc to overcome a disastrous first season and keep the recruit talent we have for the 2020 class and either improve or maintain that talent level for the 2021 class? I'm thinking an Arkansas style 2-10 season (which included losses to North Texas and Colorado St) that still got them the 20th best class last year according to rivals. Not being negative, just asking if the staff has the ability to pull off that king of recruiting coup.

What's a disastrous season? I think they will go bowling, I'd consider that a success. Unless they win like 1 game, I think there will not be any issues on that front. Willie Taggart cratered FSU and still recruited well despite not being very good at recruiting and having a staff that is inferior IMO to GT's on that front as well. If GT wins 2-3 games then CGC has other problems much bigger than recruiting or they had tectonic injuries like GT circa 2015, only way I see that happening.

are there any current commits that you could see bumping up to a 4 star rating with a good camp/spring showing?

From camps not really. Ryan King suffered from the poor weather situation at the Rivals Camp in Atlanta, it was raining the whole time so really other than Josh Downs there wasn't much WRs could do. Meiguez and Wiggles were the other two on the borderline, but I didn't get the vibe either got that 4-star.

Since recruits have a limited number of official visits (I believe), what can/should we read into recruits who take officials here?

Recruits get 5 OVs, so typically you are in the top 5-7 sometimes they will not locally OV if it comes down to that. If they are OVing especially early then you are in serious play for a commitment. My issue is flipping gets easier once you burn the visit early so the staff will have to work harder to keep any early commits off these OVs IMO.

Since playing time can be on the table for OL recruits early, how come we aren’t going hard after 4 star plus caliber. Don’t get me wrong I like the size of these players we’re going after or already have committed, I just don’t see much of a difference from the guys we used to get on our O-line rankings wise.

They have gone after 4-star guys however, GT has offered 17 4-star OLs thus far, of those 17 all but 7 are committed already two to Clemson several to the in-state power school from where they live (BC, Ohio State, UVA, Texas, TAMU). Of the remaining guys Connor McLaughlin is the only one that GT is really in play for, he won't be a 4-star IMO, he is really overrated by us. Joshua Braun is out of play and really there isn't another guy seriously in play. The other issue is there is just one 4-star OL in Georgia that GT has offered Tchio who is committed to Clemson.

So let me sum all this up, basically OL recruiting is a year out, GT was behind on everyone of those 4-star kids and really I don't expect to see much traction here until the 2021 class because you have to work hard because the elite OLs go off the board fast.

How was your vacation?

Great thanks for asking. I've been sick since I got back. I had bronchitis a few weeks before my vacation and picked it up again. Turns out I had double ear infections that I had picked up in the spring and it triggered the bronchitis both times. Finally on correct meds so that should clear up. Was nice to decompress though for a bit.

What player on offense do you think will be the most exciting to watch?

Tyler Davis or Ahmarean Brown, those two guys do unique things we haven't seen GT players do much. Brown can make those wild catches and run in space like some of the A-backs, but Davis is sort of like a Smelter type ball-catcher at TE, who can also block the crap out of people.

Are you surprised so few Tech players have entered the transfer portal so far? Doesn’t it become harder to find a place to go the later you wait? Do you see more entering the transfer portal prior to Fall Semester?

I've explained this a few times, but here goes again. The majority of the kids who come to Georgia Tech are not making a purely athletic decision. The education factor is huge for them so most of them want to get that degree. People who've put in three years at GT aren't going to walk away from that so it is harder for Collins to prune the roster. The kids who are here to play big boy football are the ones in the two deep. You don't want to lose those. I still think there are a couple of guys who may move on, those guys are likely to head to JUCOs so it won't matter when they leave.

Do you REALISTICALLY believe there will be a flip from Alabama?

Yes, one of the guys Bama is trying to drop.

Are there any football recruits close to committing to GT?

Yup, one is visiting next weekend...

Elite athlete infusion seems to be coming via transfer. HS commits thus far are solid three star kids, somewhat above past years’ classes. And we’re at 85 with no more players moving into the portal. How will it work, or is it possible, to add a few elites this fall (if we show we can win) given roster space?

Collins needs to open up about 7 scholarships somehow. I think you may see some guys not return for 5th years or whatever after the 2019 season and you may see some transfer action and there are always injuries and academic attrition naturally. Go look at the ships and attrition it is about 5-8 per year naturally.

It seems we have made many offers that are not on the sticky thread offer list. How is the list updated? New to site.

Russell or I update it, it reflects also mutual interest, so if there is not mutual interest or if a offer is brand new it may not be on there yet. Also the offer list is just 2020 offers. Most of the offers that have been going out via social media are 2021 and not 2020 so they won't be reflected on that list because no one cares about 2021 yet on the site to be honest.

How many OV’s is a school allowed to host? I see we only have two for the first OV coming up, I’d think they would want more if there is a cap on OV’s you can host. Unless there is more than 2 and we just don’t know of them of course. Thank you!

Football schools can host 56 official visitors per academic cycle so for 2020 signees/transfers they get 56.

Are the silent commitments still around or have they changed their minds?

There are still two silent commits that I know of. I don't know the how or why they have not announced.

Quite a few FutureCast were made in April, what’s your confidence level on the ones that didn’t commit? (Height & Battle).

I still feel good about Height, I think Battle is being slow-played IMO.

Who are our top 3 MLB targets and what are our chances with them?

That's not the way the LB targets work. All of the guys who are called LBs on the target thread are in the box linebackers meaning WLB or MLB basically the same thing. They play them like mirrors. They aren't recruiting SAMs. There are a bunch of top LB targets already got two committed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News