ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 5/11 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb

So looking back at Clemson in the mid 00’s it would appear that Tech and Clemson were pretty even as far as football programs go. Any chance we could get a quick glimpse at the moves they made to become a powerhouse and if Tech has the capabilities to one day make those same moves?

KQ- That is an interesting idea and something I could definitely do. One of the main Clemson historian/writers is a good friend of mine and would be able to shed a lot of light on what was going on and I'm sure between CPJ and Collins and their former staff I can cull what I don't know prior to my covering GT to paint the picture.

How much were the tough losses of Zavier Carter and Tatum “squeeze plays” by other schools?

RJ- Tatum's was moreso a planned event than Zavier Carter's was. Carter was set to just reveal top schools prior to the attempt/offer made by Orgeron and his staff.

It looks like Brady Olsen and his trainers are tagging Tech a lot in his training vids, almost like he is trying to get their attention. Is he in a wait and see on the priority list behind Chayden Peery right now?

RJ- Wait-and-see is a bit strong in terms of Olson's recruitment, as Georgia Tech has attempted to make clear their pecking-order at one of the positions in this class that continues to evolve.

I'm not sure if they are trying to get the staff's attention, but it is clear that they believe he may not be considered as heavily as others at the position.

This may have been talked about before, but how is academic eligibility going to be handled this fall? Has there been any conversations about this and how will APR be effected by this? You also may have no idea, which is fair.

KQ- The short answer is yes, there have been some discussions both at the NCAA level and school level about those topics. There should be some loopholes or freezing of negative aspects. I mean some schools are outright cancelling sports and that could really sting them in APR for example depending on how the kids leave. It is a down the road piece of the puzzle though.

with the new rankings coming out next week. All of our commits where do you there new ranking?
Chappell
Robinson
Jamal
Malik
Grey
Noah

RJ- Going to be hard to give new rankings to kids that we haven't seen live since the last rating update.

WIth that being said, I believe that Rutherford receives a bump to 5.7.

KQ- There will probably be the least movement in rankings at this time of year in many years because of the camp cancellations and inability for our staff to really see kids as well. Going to be a busy fall if there is HS football though.

What changes / improvements/ renovations have been done to the Dodd this offseason?

KQ- They've installed the LED light system that people saw some examples of over the last month or so. The audio system is also at some stage of renovation and I expect there will be beer in the stadium this fall IF there are enough fans able to come to justify it. They are always tinkering with vendors, water and other stuff as well. Those are the outwardly noticeable things.

I heard that Florida is only taking 4 WR and won’t have room for Burke where would we be with him after Florida is no longer a option ?

RJ- Georgia Tech becomes either the top option, or close to it if that rumor you mentioned is true. Burke is one of the more uncertain recruits at this time, both in terms of other schools in the picture besides GT, and just how soon he might be ready to announce a commitment somewhere.

The longer Burke has to go without visiting campus, the harder it is to get a read on his recruitment. The sooner (for GT) that he can get in campus, the better,

I was eager for ACCN finally to be born. Both for content but also desperately needed revenue. Well, it’s been here awhile and not picked up by several big cable providers. The viewing quality sometimes OK but frequently amateurish compared to the SEC Channel. Are you in a position to know or comment on GT’s revenue benefit and satisfaction with coverage and quality?

KQ- Well I don't get the channel getting to your first point. I need Comcast for internet since AT&T sucks and is too slow. So I can't comment on the quality of the programming. Remember the SEC Network launched five years ago and had time to mature during that period. It was pretty lousy when it started as well and had some odd programming. The issues with carrying the network go back to the decline in cable subscriptions and the expense of ESPN's package to cable companies so many balked at it. I have no idea how GT specifically feels about the coverage other than the people I talked to in the fall and early winter seemed pretty happy with how things were running overall and the in-house productions have been very good.

Past years recruiting, Andy McCollum seemed to bring in 1/4 to 1/3 of our recruits. With Collins’’ staff I get the impression that Marco, Choice and Dixon are our top recruiters. Who on this staff are very good to excellent at generating interest of top prospects and at landing results?

RJ- First few that come to mind are Key, Choice, and Coleman.

KQ- Staff is built differently, other than Patenaude who focuses on QBs mostly, the rest get after it pretty good on the road. Coleman has been very impressive early though.

Kind of a broad question with potentially obvious answers, but what factors go into a recruit being "gettable" for coaching staffs when they put together their board. Like, I can't imagine the #1 overall recruit would be on our coaching staff's board given that it is unlikely we would land them, but they would probably be on Bama's.

RJ- A large variety of different ways to go with this one. Mutual interest is a HUGE first step. As is the criteria that the staff may be looking for at the position. Does "prospect x" check all the boxes? What about the majority of them?

From there, factors such as what is important to "prospect x" and there is also communication between GT and schools/sources close to ground-level to ensure that the school isn't wasting their time/resources recruiting a kid they have no chance with.

KQ- To answer the part about the #1 recruit, it really depends on who that is and their background. If it was like some kid from the burbs OTP-North, then GT very well could be involved and make an early cut and he would be on the board and they would try.

What’s worse, gun to your head or percentage questions?

KQ- Percentages, because at least gun to the head gives me more of an out in my mind. LOL

Do you see Allen and Sims contributing significantly more this fall? By this I mean hoping to crack 2 deep despite what staff labels players as above the line?

KQ- I mean Sims was in the two-deep last year. So it is very plausible he will be again, they really only have three corners sort of locked in for playing time right now in my mind, Swilling, Walton and Tobias Oliver. Jaytlin Askew kind of floats between CB/Dime and is more about a speed matchup or that is how they've used him thus far. Sims biggest competition will be Miles Brooks, Kenan Johnson and the Huff boys for PT.

Are most of our football and basketball players in decent shape academically?

KQ- Yes, the couple that were in the most trouble have righted themselves as far as I know.

Without calling any names etc, how many footballers are in academic trouble? How many basketballers?

KQ- Even in the closest relationships with staffs I typically won't hear about something like that unless it were to cause someone to possibly miss the season. I have not heard that nor am I likely to hear something like that until camp or for hoops practice starting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News