ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 2/6

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb

How do you see us balancing our depth [redshirting e.g] to avoid a year when key positions are drained. Speaking of AB,BB, and QB. Shudder to think of an injury to JT.

PJ talked about the AB and WR balance a little on Wednesday. They will play one or two freshmen A-backs and two true frosh B-backs and that will help. They really need a transfer B-back though.

Is the DT transfer still in play?

Yes.

Call it way to early. Who's our QB in 2017?

As of today, Matthew Jordan or Christian Campbell. I really depends on how each develops.

How do you think Mbob feels about the recent bball "moral victories" with the OT loss and hanging with Duke on the road? Is it just another L to him and CBG is gone?

I know MBob is pulling for Gregory, but there is also a level of reality to the situation.

Anyway we can get Mike Budenholzer to coach GT Basketball on the side?

LOL, they wish.

If you had to pick one of the incoming freshman that might start day 1 who would it be? Did you pick this player based more on talent or need at the position?

Starting as a true freshman is asking a lot. I would put money on a WR like Christian Philpott, Stewart or Howell.

Is the attrition needed to get to 85 (2 signees plus JHD) already there? Or will Spring decide the fate of some?

They are at 86 if JHD qualifies, Ratliffe is not coming until Jan.

- Texas from 2009-2013 finished with the following Rivals rankings for their signees' average stars…#3, # 2, #2, #7, #8…respectively. From 2010-2014 they have averaged a little over 7 wins per season, whereas in the Vince Young/Colt McCoy years they averaged 10-11 wins per season…along with the same head coach over that tenure. Texas typically gets their commits early. They are Exhibit A, IMHO, of the confirmation bias that exists in how HS players are rated and ranked. How does Tech stand a fair chance of getting one of their pre-Fall commits…guys like Will Bryan, AJ Gray, Shamire Devine, etc…the 5.8+ ratings they deserved when the system favors schools…and not kids. I seriously have doubts that Justin Thomas would have stayed a 5.8 had he flipped from Alabama in July versus December. Rant over…but seriously what gives?

Yeah I fight as much as I can for GT kids, but I don't do the rankings.

How much should I donate to the " Hartman Fund " this year ?

Zero.Zero

Is our first Junior Day still scheduled for 2/28?
-

Yes

Outside of Marshall and Gantt, who are 4-5 kids that have the most mutual interest with GT right now?

Brittain Brown, he will be here in two weeks for a personal tour of campus and personal JR Day. DT Bo Peek in Tampa is very interested as well.

- What are the odds we land our first 2016 commitment before or during Junior Day?

They should be at one or two by the end of this month.

Who do you think is most physically ready to play next year?

Will Bryan is the most physically ready to play.

When will tech announce the 2016 recruits who are coming to our Feb juniors camp?

Tech cannot legally announce them. I put together a list and it is a campus visit day, not a camp. Camps don't start until June.

When I look at marshall's film I am of course impressed. The thing is he doesn't really throw his shoulder into people like lands- davis and he kind of slips thru tackles. Do u really they have bback in mind for him? Do u still lands davis is going to be a superstar eventually?

I'm still very big on MLD and I think Marshall is still learning but physically he has the tools to be a B-back.

How are they going to manage all the talented o lineman?

That is an interesting question, I'm curious about that myself. I think they will end up seeing one or two guys transfer out.

Lastly now that they have spent a bunch of a ships on talented linebackers please tell me they are going to have a meaningful package with 3 linebackers on the field. I personally want mitchell to provide some size and thump against the teams that have ran all over us.

I talked to CTR about this and he says the goal is to use more mobile LBs that allow them to stop the run better so they are not as stuck on the 4-2-5 all the time and are more multiple.

Was a sidebar of Mbob's and CPJ's contract negotiations improved comp for assistants? I believe you said some weeks ago that any actions would be taken after NSD. (Think I got that right.) Is it now possible to take a snapshot of our staff's pay vs assistant coach pay at VT, Clemson, FSU and UGA? (Or whatever is feasible for you to reflect if we're still bottom quartile, ACC and if we closed the gap vs top pay teams by a little.)

I'll see if Red will put that together and add it to the thread.

If office space could be made, is upgrade of our recruiting support unit possible or are we stuck at three?

They don't really have money for more people either.

Are there any basketball recruits left with any sort of ranked talent that we have a snowball's chance at landing?

NOPE

What's up with our coaches as real people and family men now that NSD is past? Are they back at it for 2016 recruiting or preparing for Spring drills? Or take a well earned vacation?

Vacation until Monday, though Roof was in the office Thursday and Friday.

Who is the best shooting SF left that you think we should go after?

I have no clue to be honest, I'll ask Russ or Dan to chime in.

Where do you think the attrition come from?

Defensive side of the ball (secondary) or one of the lower level OLs

With GT having to make room for a couple of players do you think it is worth it to still go after a transfer?

Yes if it is a DT or a B-back

Post signing day podcast?

We are working with some cool people to do something more structured with the podcast stay tuned.

Thoughts on Ricky Jeune? Can you find out how he is progressing in the weight room and what his current weight is at? Going into his 3rd year of college I would not be surprised if he explodes onto the scene. Went back and watched his HS Highlights and his YAC ability reminds me of Smelter. I think he's got a chance to be really good so I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses in Spring.

Ricky is one that CBP and the staff are very high on. I think he has a chance to be really good.

fans tend to get excited when they get commits from their early offer list reasoning that if the coaches offered the player this early they must be good, but what happens if/when a player commits early and then the coaches realize they erred in judgement and could have gotten players much better? For example, what if Almanzo Brown had committed? Do they find a way to use him or do they begin to slow play him hoping he would eventually decommit.

PJ sticks with a kid when they commit. Almonzo would have had a role but I didn't see him as a very successful player in the offense.

Also the offer to logan Hunt, was this a error in offering since they ended up going with Sellers because he could grow from DE to possible DT. Was Logan offered without seeing him in person?

Logan was much smaller that advertised when he got on campus and Sellers took the only swing DL spot. The thinking was he might have been able to grow into a DT like Sellers, but his body type was not big enough.

This year's class seemed to raise the floor on the types of players we tended to end up with considerably. I don't see a project or reach in the bunch.

I agree they had nice Plan B and C options.

What happened to recruits in Ga this year, So many basic 3* players seemed like prima donnas and wound up either taking lesser offers or going unsigned, Was this the product of chasing the SEC offer and overplaying their hand or what?

Offer chasing for sure and bad decisions and advice.

Just thinking of the number of guys we were interested in that wound up falling in the cracks or going to non competitive Big 5 schools, do you think that will have a cautionary impact with the coaches of these upcoming recruits, so they same doesn't happen. I can't imagine Buford coaches are super excited that two of their own had a chance to play close to home and delayed until they wound up in the fine states of Indiana and Iowa.

Maybe, should be interesting to see what happens.

Now that the CPJ is secure and has proven how good he can do at Tech and the ceiling is still rising, how do they start to convince the 4* players to come to Tech. Is it as simple as putting guys in the pros? At this point the argument about going up against a option offense has to be dead doesn't it?

Consistent winning is an important part of this more than anything.

From signing day, is there surprise player the coaches said to watch out for in the spring?

A-back Qua Searcy and safety Jalen Johnson were two names that surfaced.

If Marshall and Burden are two of your best 5 OL, could one play Guard just to get your best 5 on the field at
the same time?

Maybe, that is something that has been discussed some. Both Burden and Marshall can play multiple positions. It will depend more on who the best five are.

Hankins played great ST. What is holding him back from more playing time?

He needs to improve in coverage and in keeping his eyes on the right places instead of just chasing people.

Same question about T Lewis.

True frosh, has some growing up to do. He is probably a year away from being in the two-deep.

Any updated weights on Simmons, Merriweather, and Whitehead?

Whitehead was in the 240s, Simmons is around 225, Merriweather I'm not sure.

Way too early do the coaches have a number in their heads on how many play this year??
AJ, Vic, Kyle, Anree, Dorian or Dante, Quaide or Mikell, Omahri or Nathan, ???

A.J. Gray, Alexander, Mitchell and one of the young corners will play. Two B-backs and one A-back.

How good is Cooksey? For some reason I just don't see him as a guy who will do much at the next level, am I off?

Cooksey may grow into a RDE, he is a very good SAM linebacker and can blitz, he gives them something a little different at that spot.

If Victor were 6 foot plus do you see him as a rivals 250 guy?

Yes, his size was the big knock on him.

Anyone you see as a "reach" in this class?

I'm not sure about David Curry, I didn't pay much attention to him this fall. CTR swears the kid will be a baller. My thoughts on Sellers are pretty well documented as well.

Any idea what the deal is with T.J. Simmons? Rivals 250 guy who had a final 2 of marshall and temple and signed with temple.

He had an academic issue that caused him to decommit from Wisconsin (I think) and he fell like a rock. Sekai Lindsay who turned down GT and committed to Pitt then decommitted signed with freaking UMASS. Lots of weird stuff this year.

If he's eligible, do you think JHD can have a greater impact than Shawn Green?

Yes, Shawn was somewhat limited.

Does Gamble stay out at SDE on run downs or will he be moved back inside?

They are planning to move Gamble back inside for spring ball.

Do you feel that philpott will come in with more upside than Jeune or Messick?

Philpott has more upside than either of them at this point. Philpott has a chance to be really special.

Which recruit do you think has the biggest upside in this class?

A.J. Gray, I think A.J. could be a Ed Reed type safety.

VA, Cooksey or Mitchell... who's your guy and why?

Mitchell, I like big in the box LBs that can stop the run.

How bout a quick pronunciation guide......

MEIKO
TAQUON
ANREE
COTTRELL
MIKELL

Mee-co
Tay-kwon
On-Ree
Cot-trell
Meh-kell

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT