ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 12/18

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Do we go after Deejay Dallas now that he decommited from UGA?

Yeah they will go hard after Deejay. He will be very interested as well.

Is there a make or break prospect, in you opinion, for this signing class? You know, the MUST HAVE guy.

They need a DT, BADDDDDDD in this class, a big guy.

Does the staff know about Milton Shelton? Can they extend an offer here? Needs to be made very soon.

Dude they know all the local kids let it go.

Any Chance Bohannon goes to BYU or Navy?

Neither.

Is Steven Sylvester still coaching?

He just finished grad school, so I think he is looking for a job.

The USA Today salaries for assts had not been updated for 2015. I was wondering what RR's salary is.

$180k range

Is Demetrius Robinson visiting in late January like the visit dates link says? He's a five star.

Yes that is his plan.

How bouta JOL gathering in Dublin?

I'm very interested in something, once I have a more firm schedule on what's happening we can try to figure out something or maybe a tailgate...

Any further thoughts on having a JOL luncheon on the day of or day after LOI signing day?

That's the plan, Chris aka Whiskey is going to set something up with a hard cap of people.

Isn't 20 a more realistic recruiting target than 18 this year, per alajacket's law of attrition?

It depends on who the 20 are, but yeah they could flex that far if needed. Should know before the dead period ends about attrition potential candidates.

I keep accepting reassurances that coaching changes will shake recruits loose for us; and that we have a good chance to flip some kids. I'd be more reassured if we had targets which WE identified long ago, which WE had romanced and had a relationship with, solid Plan A and Allan B alternatives as products of, I dunno, a real GT recruiting PROCESS and operation. Hoping for coaching change road kill and flipping commits seems like a shakey alternative to having SUFFICIENT TARGETS ID'd, vetted and romanced by GT. My imagination or has our internal recruiting operations produced LESS THAN (my sense is MUCH less than) our recruiting program did last year and the year before?

It is your imagination. They signed 27 last year and are shooting for WAY less this year so that is why the commit # is lower.

Do you think we land more then 3 4 star players or better in this class?

Unlikely, they've only had two classes since 2002 with more than 3 4-star players signed, 2007 and 2010...

In your opinion what's the percentage we get a transfer?

Pretty decent, that part of recruiting heats up late-Jan.

Sleeper uncommitted or committed in this class?

Chris Martin and Kenny Cooper could both be special for different reasons, Martin is undervalued because of his size, Cooper is in the smallest market HS and is a really physical guy.

Does Paul's direct, often surly attitude, show up in other facets than media interviews? The guy is great at X's and O's but just curious if he treats every on the same way including other coaches and recruits? Not trying to give you a loaded question but basically asking is he ever different than how he always comes across or is he always the same personality?

He is a real pussycat with the recruits and his players mostly love him just like any other coach some guys have attitude or whatnot.

Do you think ACC crews will allow Mendenhall to get away with the dirty play BYU became noted for during his regime?

I doubt it, I'm sure this will be interesting. PJ said he thinks the ACC coaches meetings should be pretty entertaining with Richt and Mendenhall personas added to the mix.

Do we have a date when the ACC will release the 16 schedule?

Feb is when it typically comes out.

What hasThe staff been up to since the season ended?

Recruiting, the staff was on the road until the end of last week then the staff went on vacation. Everyone is still working on recruits, they just don't have to go in the office until Jan. 5th.

It was mentioned in a previous mailbag PJ has been very busy since the season ended. Is he visiting recruits? Watching film of games this year? Speaking engagements?

He has been breaking down film, recruit film, seeing recruits and meeting with current players and staff for state of the union type stuff and evaluations as well as meeting with MBob.

Do we know why Joe didn't get the medical red shirt? I know Tim didn't because of the transfer, but Joe doesn't make sense?

I mean I'm not even sure he was going to come back here, I have no clue why he didn't. I guess technically they said he could have played part of his RS-FR season.

Still think we get Campbell?

Yes.

How do I apply or who do I talk to in order to be a part of the football recruiting support staff?

Email the director of operations for each sport. They are listed on the RamblinWreck site.

Would the basketball team be interested in having something similar on a smaller scale?

No clue.

My collegiate playing experience is in basketball but I would be open to either Basketball or Football.

I'm sure if they want help they would be open to talking to you.

It has been a fairly long time since we have sent someone to the NBA. in your opinion, what are the chances of MGH, Mitchell, etc getting drafted?

If Charles Mitchell keeps up his play in the ACC he is possible, I don't think anyone else is that good. MGH and Jacobs could play in Europe.

- So when CPJ retires in 2019-2020. If the GTAA wants to continue running the option are the potential replacements most likely going to be either Ken Niumetalolo or Jeff Monken?

I think Charles Kelly has a shot, Bohannon maybe by then, Jeff. Ken will probably be too long in the tooth by then.

- This is going to be a busier January than in past years, it seems, leading up to NSD. How do you envison us finishing? Beyond the potential 4-star guys like Finley, are there any other potential elite guys we might get?

Campbell's brother is the other big fish I see.

- I'll know when GT basketball has a shot of making the NCAA tourney when...___________

If they can start out at .500 or 1-3 in those first three ACC games which may be the toughest slate ever to open ACC play.

In the times you've seen Cotrell, Leggett, and JJ Green in practice can you talk about what they do well and compare to them to other players we've had? Also how doyou think CPJ will use them?

Leggett is a lot like Marcus Marshall good vision, nice cuts and some top end speed. Cottrell is a straight speed guy who can take off with great top end speed. JJ Green is a great all-around A-back in the tradition of a Roddy Jones only with a little more wiggle.

Kyler Murray?:)lol

Haha.

Did my eyes deceive me or did CTR call the UGA gamefrom the sidelines rather than the booth?

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure I saw him on the elevator at the end of the game head down to the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News