ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 1/21

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
How many "projects" do you see in the current class? Don't name them, I would just like to know about how many will require extended development to become contributors in your opinion. Seems like in most Tech recruiting classes fully a quarter or more were like that yet many of them ended up being a lot better than the experts thought they would be.

RJ- I'd say three, but if you asked me last month I would have said four. I spent a lot of time watching the signees' performances throughout their senior seasons. Progression, both in technique and in performance, is key.

One of those "projects" has the potential to become an all-ACC player.

KQ- There are four to me if we are counting the commits and not just the signed guys. Ceilings are good on a couple of them, one I'm unsure of.

Are we actively recruiting any high level point guards in the 21 class to replace Jose? I know Mike can primarily run it the one season after JA is gone but we’re going to need someone to back him up and be ready to contribute.

KQ- To be honest they are still looking around at guys, they've offered two really high-end kids one of which they have no shot at in Kennedy Chandler who likely ends up at a Kentucky or similar and the other is Peyton Daniels from Tri-Cities. I'll see if we can get an update on where things stand there.

And how hard will it be to get a quality acc level player at that position with Pastners seat being warm/hot?

KQ- Honestly it is not as big of as a deal as people think in hoops.

Could you provide some mid season progress reports and statistics for our 3 basketball signees?

KQ- It is hard to tell with Tristan Maxwell because there is no good spot for stats, you'd have to look at every game, but I checked his last few games and it was over 20 pts per game and he got the McDonald's nomination so that is a good sign.

Not sure on Jordan Meka's stats or Saba Gigiberia because neither school updates them at all.

Is there any chance that Marcus Watson lands at GT?

KQ- Doubtful, he still has court stuff to deal with in Stillwater, until that is sorted out I doubt anyone will look at him.

A lot of new names have thrown their hats in the transfer portal, many as immediately eligible grad transfers. Any scuttlebutt on which ones there is mutual interest with other than Cochran?

RJ- I suspect they will continue to target the interior defensive line, and other than that may go with a "best player available" mindset, to go along with the push for Cochran.

I don't think they will take anyone just to take them, whether it be in HS or from the portal.

KQ- They are only taking guys at immediate needs in the portal. They are not trying to become the rehab spot for fallen four and three-star kids. So something like a good TE or a DT is what the focus will be.

It appears we are greatly improving, both ATL & depth, at the skill positions but are still a work in progress on both lines. It may come out more as we get through Spring practice, but CGC has consistently talked about players playing multiple positions (& on both sides of the ball). Who do you see as candidates for being two way players or moving from their current side of the ball to the other?

KQ- Two-way players, Ja'Quon Griffin at FB, Jahaziel Lee at FB or blocking TE, stuff like that. I think they did some of that at Temple to mask issues as well other than the goal line/short yardage stuff. If you have a great athlete who is a game changer on both sides then maybe you try something, but they already have a very good slot receiver so why move a Juanyeh Thomas there. You know what I mean?

To add on: Any players you can see switching positions at all regardless of whether switching from one side to the other or not?

KQ- Yes, but it is hard to tell right now because a lot of that injuries/attrition and lack of performance in practice.

Are you surprised at the low number of attrition to this point? My thought was many would not want to go through the grind of winter workouts if they thought they would move on. Seems like numbers are not a concern and we will see attrition later so I’m not concerned, more curious than anything

KQ- If you go back and look at last year as a benchmark, the only guy who left BEFORE the spring was Parker Braun to play elsewhere. The rest of the attrition other than Brandon's tragic passing came post-spring. It ended up being 9 guys before summer session started basically. It will be similar again.

CGC & staff seems to continue to make great strides with many local & state HS coaches & their staffs...any upcoming clinics for HS coaches on the Flats?...also, any thoughts on how we can get more of those guys (HS coaches) to the Spring game?

RJ- Collins is actually speaking on Wednesday at Troup at the new indoor facility there. I expect there to be some more clinics coming up before the season.

KQ- The S&C staff are doing a HS clinic soon and you have to remember most HS football coaches have responsibilities at their school so the cycle for that stuff is typically in the spring not right now.

Might have missed something but didn’t see much of CGC, CBK or CDP in midnight madness related tweets. Think they were working on a top target undercover or is that to much RBTL’s?

RJ- Yes, they were working on a top target, one that has been mentioned several times on this here website. Closing on him is a VERY large priority.

Any additional insight on the BDS updates that you know/can share?

KQ- Nothing that hasn't been shared here, other than that CGC is pushing to improve the experience personally with his staff. It was something they tracked and noted during the season every game. There were meetings with staff over it as well.

ADTS was instrumental in some cool in stadium renovations at UCF & Oregon State. The Biergarten idea @ BDS floated on JOL this past week & seemed to have a little momentum (& also some negativity, as usual). Other than the new Edge Center, I would think ATDS would want to place a “stamp” like this on BDS, giving it would greatly enhance the game day fan experience. A Biergarten might be a stretch (even though several of us would like the idea of incorporating & support from local brews) but I would think GT could get local companies with heavy GT influence like WF, Coca Cola, etc to participate. Do you have any insight? What are your thoughts?

KQ- The issue is ADTS is pretty much focused on trying to finish his AI2020 project right now so they are not trying to take on additional things, that will be a major undertaking that will be a giant headache for the GTAA for the duration of construction for example. I think once that is done you may see some movement on other projects and after this fiscal year and the next the ACCN money should be flowing better and give him more flexibility to try some innovations.

1)Out of our current class, who do you see red shirting next year?

KQ- Right now the only people I think make sense to redshirt at the freshmen DLs with the exception of maybe Emmanuel Johnson unless they get a transfer DT. Skill wise it will depend on if they are in the two-deep. I also think you'll see one of the freshmen QBs redshirt but again that will be settled on the field and even if by some weird deal Tuck and Jeff were 1 and 2 in whatever order you can get around that by redshirting the #2 guy and just using him in the four games and using someone else in the other games. Probably several of the OLs will redshirt or just play in four games.

2) is there a position where we can’t afford to red shirt a player at that position due to lack of depth or a position where depth is the reason they get red shirted?

KQ- Tight end because Billy Ward and Dylan Deveney are the only two scholarship guys, thought Dylan Leonard is probably on their same level despite being a walk-on. Hopefully if he continues to be in the two-deep he can get a ship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News