ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 1/13

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Any projections on class size for ‘21?

KQ- No because there are a ton of variables including who leaves after spring ball that will impact that. Expect +20.

RJ- It is (extremely) early, and the amount of attrition that takes place prior to the 2020 season will play a large role in the final number, but I would expect it to be around 25, give-or-take a few. The position by position breakdown is in the offer thread.

Any interviews with or comments from the b-ball recruits attending the Duke game?

KQ- I'll page @JaredHalus for that.

Who did we win some recruiting battles against? Who tried to get in on our commits late?

RJ-1. South Carolina, Auburn, Tennessee, Miami, Florida State, Louisville, and several others.

2. Auburn, Florida State, Michigan, Notre Dame to name a few.

How many of our early high-priority targets did we wind up getting to commit for the 2020 class? By early, I mean guys we were targeting before April.

How many of our early high-priority targets did we wind up getting to commit for the 2020 class? By early, I mean guys we were targeting before April.

RJ-
QB Tucker Gleason
QB Jeff Sims
RB Jahmyr Gibbs
WR Ryan King
TE Billy Ward
OT Jordan Williams
OL Michael Rankins
DL Akelo Stone
DL Kyle Kennard
LB Tyson Meiguez
DB Miles Brooks
DB Jalen Huff
Gowdy, too.

I'm I correct in assuming that no matter how successful our football or basketball programs become we will never get the type of recruit that is looking for "bags to be dropped" until we start dropping them. Or will a certain level of success override the recruit's/family's/handlers' desire to get paid?

Will Josh Downs have a better freshman season at UNC that Ahmarean Brown's last year (21 recs, 396 yds, 18.86 yd/rec, 33 yds/gm, 7 TDs) assuming everything stays normal at UNC (Down's healthy, Howell's healthy, Longo stays, no rash of OL injuries, etc)?

Who's the better receiver of the two regardless of production?

RJ- 1. There are ways around it, for sure. The education at Georgia Tech, the chance for kids to stay home that are local, etc.

Not taking a kid just because he is a (insert amount of stars) helps too.

2. Yes.

3. I need to see Downs take a snap at the college-level before making any type of judgement. I'd love to see them race.

- Have you gotten into Greta Van Fleet (the band)? Curious if you like their sound?

KQ- I've listened to it, but the songs aren't there yet. I get the Zeppelin comparison. A lot of those newer bands I've had a hard time getting into even after listening to them. I saw the Struts and it seemed like a Stones impression. Dirty Honey and Rival Sons haven't hit me either enough to get into it. Maybe I'm getting too old to like new stuff.

You have stated in a few threads that new coaches have opportunities to get around the 85 limit count on scholarships.

Without naming names or impacts; can you explain what that process is or that exception for new coaches so no one ever asks you again.

KQ- Clearly you all want me to answer a question that Geoff Collins has asked me not to make a big deal out of due to be sensitive to the feelings of the SAs and their families. I'm going to abide by his wishes. There are loopholes set up by the NCAA that help them hit the 85 cap during his first two years. You are welcome to go read through the NCAA guidelines and find them yourself. They exist and I've had other coaches explain them to me as well as Collins, but the more we talk about this the more it can bother some of the SAs so that is why I have not answered that question clearly.

Wouldn’t be a mailbag without a Gibbs update would it?

RJ- No, it would not. He's got a busy few weeks ahead, with visits to Ohio State, Florida, LSU, and
Georgia Tech.

People close to his recruitment believe there's about a 60-65% chance that he sticks with the Yellow Jackets.

What do you think needs to be done in order to get more consistency from Jordan Usher? He's definitely got the 'motor' that Pastner, and every coach, craves but he is inconsistent from game to game. Or is it just a matter of everyone getting acclimated to playing together?

KQ- I think you saw some of it in the BC game, he played better defense until he was gassed on the court (Josh left him out there too long and he gave up a bad three on one play because of it). He is an energy bringer so you need him to be on the break and using his athleticism. Like Moses Wright he need to not dribble the ball more than two to three times. He gets himself into trouble over dribbling trying to drive. He needs to be making those backdoor cuts that Evan Cole does as well and hopefully his shooting will heat up as he relaxes some. I think he was very overly amp'd early in the season and that made him play poorly on offense.

New to this. Can I get some more clarity on that's going on with ADTS? I am very confused as to why he is being sued?

KQ- Like any coach he had a buyout in his Oregon State deal. It was a significant buyout larger than some coaches. He shouldn't have signed the deal in the first place. ADTS' lawyers were trying to negotiate a smaller buyout since he was on the hook to pay like half his GT salary to Oregon State. Those negotiations failed or got to a stalemate so his former employer sued him to force his hand and embarrass him IMO. Internally some people are helping him handle the situation now.

Do you feel that we will start to poach some of the top/ elite UGAg talent from each recruiting class going forward? (I get that UGAg is going more national [(and winning )] but are we swaying pipelines?)

I feel like recruits and state programs are starting to see the change at Tech is real. I can’t remember the last time there was elite in-state talent that came down to Tech or UGAg

RJ-I have been talking to several HS coaches, and they kinda wonder the same thing you are wondering. Georgia Tech placing so many local kids as a priority the way that they have has caught the attention of coaches, parents, and of course, recruits. Recruits love feeling the "love" and Georgia Tech does a really good job with that, while uga has cast such a wide net that several local kids feel like back-up plans.

Sorry to bring TOS up, but does Rivals have any plans that you are aware of to closely monitor the transfer portals and allow analysts to put in future-casts to schools?

KQ- I've actually been pushing for something even better than what they have setup, we shall see. The main issue we have is our infrastructure has been around since 1999 so every time we add something all of that past database material has to be factored in and it makes it very difficult to add things to the network. 247 started like 5-6 years ago from scratch so they have a cleaner slate and it is easier to add features but you also get bombarded by ads and other bullshit you don't have to deal with on here making their sites run slow. Catch-22.

Any opinion on what attendance will look like next football season with football season ticket renewals going out the week of the 13th? Do you know of any PR going out to the general public from GTAA or the Ticket Office on our quality 2020 recruiting class to help create momentum & excitement for putting butts in the seats for next season at BDS?

KQ- I do not, attendance was down from the last odd season (UGA home game sellout) in 2017 that was 46,885 average and it was 44,599 this year both teams that were not going bowling and I'd say a lot more empty seats this year that counted in whatever attendance matrix GT uses for announced attendance. It is an issue across college football that has even been a bit of a problem at places like UGA down the road. I'll be curious to see what the renewals look like and all of that. Last year they hyped the amount of early renewals and that percentages they were up, but never announced that actual season ticket sales were higher than in previous years so that was a big red flag. GT averaged 43,087 in 2018 with a .500 team and no UGA to sellout a game and averaged 44,599 with that 10,000 seat boost so sales were down. ADTS needs to find a way to fill the stadium. That can't be all on the football staff and it can't be totally bandwagon based. That is fair to Collins or anyone else who coaches. The stadium experiences often complained about on here by fans doesn't help either. They've got to figure this out because people are staying home and it kills Collins' recruiting efforts when the stadium is half full as it was several times this year.

Any update on the date of the Spring game? I know the schedule will be out soon to confirm but, in your opinion, is it worth a trip to Syracuse to watch the Jackets play in the Carrier Dome? (I haven't heard good things about that place)

Carrier Dome is awful so it has to be your call. I go either way and my wife went to school near there so she will be in-tow with me and the baby more than likely. On spring stuff, nothing new to report.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News