ADVERTISEMENT

Mailbag 06/30

Russell Johnson

Recruiting Analyst / Managing Editor
Staff
May 19, 2016
With 18 current commits do you see this staff having to drop some guys if bigger fish come available closer to signing day?

They’ve got room to add to their class. They will have plenty of room to go target shooting in December and February, but they also have room to fill the additional holes left on the roster.

That’s part of the plan for them, in my opinion. Build the foundation of the class on strong depth pieces, and high-upside options on the OL, and get consistent contributors to pull the trigger early.

The closer the two signing periods get, the more you will see them be selective about who they add, which will of course depend on who they subtract, too.

You may have to do more research on this, but what happened to the players getting on the jumbo screen and doing “Yellow” “Jackets” for the stadium to do. I used to rave about how cool it was to hear that, but the last couple of years, the home games I have been to, the fans had to start it. I really really hope that someone can bring that back and make it more a priority.

Maybe @Kelly Quinlan can help you out here.

Who do you think will be our standout WR for the year?

One of the freshman that signed, or Ezzard if he is able to become eligible. A lot of people asked about the transfers’ waiver cases, and I don’t have an update on that just yet.

I’ll go with Ahmarean Brown, if you are making me pick one and only one.

Many people are predicting for us to only win 3-4 games. In your opinion, what is a realistic win total for us this year?

I wouldn’t go into the season EXPECTING a bowl game if I was a Georgia Tech fan, but I would also be quite disappointed if they didn’t make one if I was a GT fan. So many variables.

What’s the biggest difference you see while covering a school like Ole Miss vs GT other than academics?

Let’s actually touch on the academic side of things, but not in the way you are thinking. Grades in Mississippi are a real epidemic. Getting kids qualified to play college football can be even more taxing than what I would think getting kids admitted into Tech could be at times. The JUCO system in Mississippi is quite the tool for them there.

Other than that, the two schools have similar approaches, they just go about it differently.

Russell, do you still cover ole miss? It doesn’t show that on your Twitter anymore?

I figured this would be a question that would get asked on here this week, and I’m excited to tell you, that the answer to your question is no. I am strictly covering Georgia Tech now, and I am excited for the future of JOL.

I am beyond thankful for the chance that was given to me by the people of RebelGrove, and I will never forget my time living in the state of Mississippi.

Twitter has FL OT Richie Leonard choosing next Friday. You and KQ recently forecasted him to the Gators. Think we have any shot here?

A shot? Yes there is still a very small shot. His final destination is still in the air, as several schools in his final list are feeling confident heading into this week. Georgia Tech is not one of them.

What is your take on what is going to happen to new kids coming in that CPJ recruited that just don't fit the CGC system? ("roster management")

This is just my take, but I would have to think that they will likely be asked to change positions. A triple option QB in the offense they are running now will not work.

Are we still in the thick of it with Carlos delrio?

Yes. Del Rio started to see his recruitment pick up this summer, and will further once his season starts, with all of the coaches to see other McEachern players.

The local QB’s will definitely be keeping a very close eye on the offense on the Flats this season.

They'll also be at a ton of the games, too.

I don't know if you remember my question/ suggestion that you provide an overview of how GT in recruiting has done identifying, attracting and getting commitments from kids in the top programs in each state. Has the current staff began to make more of an impact in this area compared to the past two staffs. Are you still planning on providing a reporting on this topic. Thanks

I vividly remember your question, and have begun to start the groundwork for what is looking like it will be a late July release, probably right before Fall Camp starts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News