ADVERTISEMENT

Luckily I chose the right week to be out of cellular coverage.

BarrelORum

Gold Member
Dec 8, 2001
Savannah
I got back yesterday from a week long fly fishing trip in a remote area out West without cell phone coverage. I didn't see the result of the game until yesterday. Call me lucky that I was spared watching that shit show. For whatever reason, I'm just not really shocked by the loss to Citadel. I've seen past teams like ours have some close calls versus FCS teams and its not surprising to me that we got beaten given what I've seen.

I argued back in the March War Room with some people most notably @ibeeballin that we would be hard pressed to find 4-5 wins and if we won 7, Collins should become coach of the year. I kept asking where the wins would come from. I projected at least 3 wins and at most 5 wins. There were more than a few people in that thread that were arguing we should be able to win the Coastal Division.

The same things I said in that War Room are the same things that you are seeing now. I have never been enamored with our OLine's ability. I have not been enamored with any of our QB's save Oliver's toughness and leadership skills. If he could only pass and get some time in the pocket we may actually become somewhat decent on offense. But that's hoping for a lot. There was way too much koolaid being drunk prior to the beginning of the season. This isn't an indictment of Collins either. Unfortunately his personality being so energetic compared to Paul Johnson probably raised the koolaid drinking bar very high. Yeah, the coaching sucked but this game in my eyes doesn't lend any validity to the future success and capabilities of Geoff Collins at GT. Yeah, and I get it. Its the worst loss since 1983 and maybe ever. GTF over it.

Listen, I was a PJ fan. And I am a Geoff Collins fan. I was a Chan fan before that at least until I fell off the bandwagon sometime in 2005. It is far too early to be drawing lines in the sand with the coaching. For all of those stating that Collins was handed over a talent laden team, I laughed at that. Our offense minus maybe 1 or 2 players, are below average FBS players. That was the case last year.

Is there cause to be concerned? Yeah there is. Our offense if you can call it that needs to find an identity quick. Part of this is changing systems, part of this is lack of personnel across the board, and part of it is the fact that at the two most important positions on the team (QB and OL) we do not have serviceable talent. Everyone was pinning their hopes on this season on three unknown commodities and one guy that ran the ball in a TO for half a season.

If you are constantly discussing our coach in light of the last coach and you are choosing a position early on whether he was your guy, or some past coach was your guy and therefore you got to take your shots on the current guy, get a life. It goes both ways.

I've seen 4 coaching changes take place since internet message boards have come into existence, and what is being said right now, IS THE SAME THING THAT HAS BEEN SAID ABOUT EVERY PAST COACH AT SOME POINT.

Collins deserves criticism. But he also deserves support. If you believe that it is too early to criticize Collins or If you can't give support because you're too busy wanting to say I told you so, then spare us the posting, because I've seen that shit for 25 years on message boards and it is the same schtik over and over.

You can criticize Collins. He's a D1 football coach. He can take it. You can also show support for him too. If you can't get over those two points, then you just haven't experienced message board banter on a college football fan board. Same shit different day, move on.

To me this season was a total experiment and thus far, the fact that we look like a hot mess isn't at all surprising to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News