ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance 1/8

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

Is there any players that didn’t sign on Early Signing Day worth going after, not necessarily J Gibbs quality, just worth persuing. In general how many late signers are available?

KQ- Not any household names on the GT end as of right now. I think GT will focus more on the portal from here out through the start of the 2024 season. They signed 24 HS players that is a lot in this day and age.

Aaron Philo is rated as a 3 star. He broke the all time passing record for the state of Georgia. Why was he not moved up to a 4 star? I’ve read how Rivals determines the rating and it seems they missed on Philo.

KQ- I think there is a decent chance he gets bumped. Production does not equate to star ranking, however.

The All-time leading rusher in state history is Jordan Triplett (2024) RB committed to Air Force.

The All-time leader in receiving yards is Jaden Gibson (2023) signed with UVA, 3-star.

That is not the argument, stats are not the be-all end-all. Philo is a 4-star IMO, however, he played at a smaller school where he had limited eyes on him and he is taking a little knock for his height I think as well, just or unjustly. I think he is a 4-star but not a 250 guy.

Other than defense, in what areas do you think GT football needs to improve in?

KQ- That's like asking Abe Lincoln how the play was before he got shot. The defense is the primary thing, but as I've been clear on all year, they need to be better on offense in middle downs and they were down the stretch. I thought the WR play was not great a lot of the year and I think that is more of a talent/experience thing either Eric Singleton Jr. hitting the freshman wall after he got hurt and not having a lot other than Malik Rutherford the rest of the time. They need something out of Leo Blackburn/Chase Lane/Avery Boyd/James BlackStrain to amp up the play there. Obviously Leo didn't play and Chase Lane tried to play through an injury.

When can we expect to see real results/consequences/movement in FSU vs. The ACC?

KQ- Brother you got me on that one. I have no idea what the hell is going to happen other than I think FSU is stuck in a very tough spot unless the super league happens. I still think we are several years away from that. I'm curious if the ACC punishes them financially or something. It would be an interesting hip check.

what does Haynes King need to work on as a qb? I watched some game film and notice a lot of pass plays have a predetermined read, and can see him staring down his target. Is this something you’ve noticed? How should we think about that?

KQ- He struggled to go through his progressions at times, it was one-read, run a little and either force the ball or move the sticks. He was not as comfortable scanning the field as I expected for some with his many college reps under his belt as I expected. That is the big thing he has to figure out if he wants to play at the next level. He missed a lot of easy throws especially to TEs or RBs trying to force the ball on his initial read key. Go back to the UGA game and look at the pass where Singleton's foot was out of bounds and I think one of the TEs is wide open on the seam for six on what should be his secondary read. Again he played really well, but last year was his first full year playing QB so you hope to see more development in year two with his passing and decision-making in the passing game as well. He had quite a few bad picks throwing into bad coverage.

Watching the Tulane bowl game last week reminded me of Willie Fritz (now of Houston)…… How close were we to him becoming our coach a year ago?

(Good on him for an 11-win season…I don’t recall any animosity towards him when all that seemingly fell apart….)

KQ- It is a long story detailed greatly on here and he was torpedoed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News