ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 9/5 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb

1658810015062.png

With you taking more involvement with UofA and having covered UGA previously, do you think our SID is underfunded? Wondering how we continue to botch things like missing the Braves/CGC Show overlap Wednesday or just not posting the show two days later.

KQ- Honestly I have no idea. I could not tell you the ins and outs of what those guys do when we are not down there. Full-time staff, they are probably about where GT should be from the SID perspective based on the number of sports, maybe down one body. I believe the podcasts and video elements are handled completely outside of the SID staff so that is a different topic. On how the Braves thing happened, I have no idea. My assumption is 680 sends GT a schedule of how the shows are going to be allocated by station or at least I hope they do based on broadcast rights and what take priority each week. The Braves games are above the GT coach's shows for obvious reasons. Did the Braves' schedule change after the delayed start? Maybe someone had a bad calendar? Who knows.

1) Jeff mentions Weinke charting his throws in practice, talking about what his comfort level was with each throw and then working it into the game plan with CCL for the week to week offense. Is that a benefit of having a QB Coach that isn't the OC? Seemed like (unless I am reading too far into it) we may not have done that previously which was surprising.

KQ- I would hope most OCs would try to give the QB something they can work with, but it does help Chip Long to have Weinke who can a feel for what Sims likes and doesn't like instead of having Long trying to see the big picture and the QBs if he had stayed the QB coach so there is some benefit there. Weinke also played the position at the highest-level so he likely has a pretty good ability to self scout Sims and communicate that to Long in terms of what he thinks works and doesn't for his skillset.

2) Jeff said he as hesitant at first about going under center and that he didn't think he would enjoy it as much, do you sense that contributed to us not doing it last year as much as some people were calling for it, or that it was more a scheme thing with the previous staff/OL Challenges?

KQ- Nope, Patenaude didn't like going under center and wanted to be entirely in the gun. They weren't going under center with James Graham or Lucas Johnson much either if at all.

3) From watching the practices and staff coaching do you have confidence the D really will fix the communication issues or is it unclear/possible just the same excuse being revisited?

KQ- If it is the same excuse then it will be very obvious and it will be hard for anyone to spin. You should be able to see it right away in the game tonight.

Did the first weekend of games change your thoughts/perceptions about any of our opponents or was it what you expected?

KQ- I saw a lot of bad football and poor situational awareness like the end of the App-UNC game or FSU-LSU last night. Just crazy decisions by coaches and players not understanding what to do in certain situations like if you are recovering an onside kick with the opponent having no timeouts and little time left you fall on the ball. Or don't pitch the ball when you are killing the clock with a chance to go up two scores at the end of the game.

It takes about 3-4 games for teams to hit their stride and that is why so many try to play creampuffs or at least mild danger games out of the box. I think the ACC Coastal is trash this year and I saw nothing that changed my mind. Duke was a little bit better than I expected mainly because Eklo had them playing hard against a REALLY bad Temple team.

Nobody looked really impressive for the ACC this weekend so far- Could expansion with other conferences or teams take a hit because of it?

KQ- Expansion on the ACC side has very little to do with how teams look right now. It is about who draws viewers or fits into other leagues. No one in the ACC is going anywhere until the end of this decade despite anything you are reading so it is sort of not that important to think about right now.

Who are your most surprising teams of week 1 and most disappointing team of week 1?

KQ- Of the games I saw, the most surprising teams were BYU, Duke and Miss State.

The most disappointing were Penn State, Pitt, Oregon, NC State, Iowa, and Illinois.

Why does it always seem that the ACC teams just can’t play defense?

KQ- Every non-SEC/B1G league basically has this issue. Go watch a Big XII or Pac-12 game and you will see lousy defense a lot of the time and even the SEC and the B1G have some lousy defensive teams. I've found defense is usually very bad the first few games of the season because they've cut back tackling and going live in camp so much teams look tentative to me.

Jeff sims O/U 200 passing yards and 100 rushing yards tomorrow night?

KQ- Under, under

Why do ACC schools continue to visit these G5 schools even with a 2 for 1, it seems no win.

The league was getting crushed about this yesterday.

KQ- I think there is a misconception about the ACC and what other leagues are doing. Miss State has done HOME/AWAYs with Memphis, Louisiana, ULM and Southern Miss for example not 2-for-1s but home and away. Arkansas has HOME/AWAY with Memphis and Tulsa. Mizzou has HOME/AWAY with Memphis, San Diego State, FAU and Miami (Ohio). The media are ****ing lazy and are pushing narratives just like they do in politics or anything else that are agenda driven. They want to shit on the ACC so they shit on the ACC.

This year by league here are some similar games to the ACC playing G5 and most of these are 1 for 1 not 2 for 1. The B1G and Pac-12 are on a 9-gm schedule in the league so you don't see it as much with them.

Arkansas at BYU
Vandy at Hawaii
Vandy at Northern Illinois!
Indiana at Cincy
Maryland at Charlotte!
Rutgers at Temple
Baylor at BYU
Kansas at Houston
TCU at SMU rivalry game
Arizona at San Diego St
Colorado at Air Force
Oregon State at Fresno State