JOL Mailbag 8/2 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1627877884140.png

The last mailbag before things really get real with Fall Camp.

Might Clemson somehow join MegaSEC? Seems like anything is possible suddenly.

KQ- Maybe, I think there are major obstacles to a mega-conference thing happening anytime soon. I think in order for that to work you'd need multiple Big 1G and Pac12 teams and even some ACC programs with a little more TV pull than Clemson and FSU. The more regionalized a mega-conference is the less value it actually has to TV. ESPN would like to kill the Big XII it seems, but not kill off everything else because then you end up with a glorified SEC Network and that isn't good for their business either.

What is your take on the OU/Texas news?

KQ- I think this is the dumbest move Texas has made in the last 10+ years and that is really saying something. They are going to turn into what they hate most TAMU now as a marginal program in a smaller pond without any of the clout and power they've had in the Big XII. Oklahoma may fair better just because they are not in the worst five-year run in the last 70+ years of the program like the Longhorns, but again I just don't see this being a great pathway to the playoffs for them either. The styles of play really don't fit well either. I think this is about greed and screwing over the Big XII who they killed themselves by being selfish and controlling leading to teams like Nebraska and Mizzou leaving. The SEC has expanded twice since 1991 adding South Carolina and Arkansas then and then Mizzou and TAMU in 2012. Those teams have won a combined zero SEC football championships and four division titles (two won by Arkansas when AU and Bama were on probation) I think. That ain't great. Arkansas won the Southwest Conference in two of the last three years they were in it. TAMU between 1985 and 2011 won the Big 8/XII seven times and had two division titles as well. Hilariously MIzzou is the only one to really benefit winning two SEC East titles thanks to hapless Florida and UGA seasons.

Semi-related, what call(s) are you making right now if you are in ADTS' shoes, if any?

KQ- I'm calling the ACC Commish and leaning on him to get Notre Dame in the boat and to take WV or Cincinnati and strengthen the ACC up permanently to 16. I think there is not a scenario where GT goes to the B1G.

Welcome back from vacay and thanks for doing these
What was your perspective of Chan Gailey’s GT program when your were covering Georgia

KQ- I mean I was there for the three in a row by GT and then Chan walks in and they beat the snot out of GT 51-7 and UGA folks thought GT really stepped on a rake hiring a retread NFL coach. I never got the vibe anyone at UGA thought much of Chan, but they hated GOL and PJ after Gailey so that sort of puts it in persepctive. I know they had some really tough losses to UGA later with Chan, but he just didn't move the needle for anyone I was around in Athens as being a threat. With Collins there is concern because of his recruiting prowess he could become an issue if he can put it together on the field with his team. With PJ they knew if he had a good QB it was always going to be a tough game just because of the system and his in-game coaching ability.

how much better is the feeling around the GT bball program from recruits this recruiting cycle than the last 4 years?

KQ- It is noticeable, the NCAA thing is dealt with, Ron Bell shit is over and they won the ACC and had the ACC POY and ACC DPOY so they've shown the development piece in a major way and that Josh Okogie and Ben Lammers were not just fluke stars. I think they have a chance to get some really special pieces if things fall into place and they had a tremendous 2021 class as well.

Coming out of the Covid year with stretched budgets, do you have any sense for how much off field staff GT has relative to the rest of the ACC Coastal?

KQ- In the Coastal at least, everyone is pretty much strapped and there are some austerity measures in place to keep spending in check overall in the athletic departments. Heck that is how Justin Fuente is still employed from what I've heard, they just couldn't swing it. No one is flush with cash right now.

how does the committable offer vs non committable offer conversation between program and recruit typically go?

RJ- I always enjoy this type of question, as the more fans can understand this part of recruiting, the less likely they are to melt when new offers are extended.

When a non-committable offer is extended, the basis of the conversation is typically about how excited school x is to host prospect y on campus, how much they (the school) value the chance to have them visit and work out for the coaches.

There are other ways that the conversation can go, but typically either encouraging a visit or a camp are two very easy signs that the offer may not be a committable one.

The other common thing, and one that has happened much more lately, is when a school is honest with a recruit about the idea that “if prospect y commits elsewhere, you’re our guy.”

Among ACC journalists, who do you think has the most insight regarding league business and the current realignment matters? Thoughts on David Hale, David Teel….only know these guys from watching P&D. Thoughts on Heather Dinich? Who do you trust as the most reliable and insightful regarding the current events?

KQ- Hale who I've known for like 20 years now and Teel are both plugged in very differently. Hale has sort of a national viewpoint where as Teel is super connected via the UVA/VT programs and is able to get his scoop that way and is a really trusted journalist. Those are the two main people I sort of track. I'd say Nicole Auerbach at the Athletic would be the next person up. I don't have a high opinion of Heather Dinich at all. Brett McMurphy usually gets decent scoop but he often screws up some of the finer points of things by rushing to be first. With hoops, it is a whole other list.

Any behind the news scoop on the ACCN & Comcast ?

KQ- Not yet, hoping to find out more soon. I was not able to spend the normal amount of time chitchatting because of the way the schedule was laid out this year.

Defensive transfer not named Ace you see making the most impact?

KQ- If healthy it will be Keion White without question, he may be the most dynamic pass rusher on the Flats since Derrick Morgan if healthy.

Kevin Harris goes from 17 -> 31 225 LB BP reps since January. That’s a highly respectable # for OLmen / DTs, much less edge players. Is that a sign of what’s to come? How do you reflect on that?

KQ- So a couple of things there, one is he is happy at GT and healthy and that goes a long way toward having the motivation to get yourself in the best shape you can be in. The second part is he really likes the role GT has planned for him and he is bought in. The issue at Bama was it was a square peg in a round hole at GT he is a square peg in a square hole so I think when you feel better about everything on and off the field, it makes you able to reach new heights.

Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson space ride at stake - by game 1, Kirby starts at OT, Kirby Starts at OG, Kirby rotates at OT? (Pick one)

KQ- If you asked me today, I'd say that Kirby as the starting right tackle and Jordan Williams and Ryan Johnson start at guard.

Big 10 and SEC becoming the only major conferences (I.e. merger fest) or ND moving to the acc. Which do you think is more likely to happen and why?

KQ- I think ND to the ACC because I think you need the other TV markets and those programs to be viable for ESPN to make money. They can't make money if the Big Ten and SEC are all that is left, they'd be missing both coasts were the most people live.

Do you have a number on % of vaccinated players? UGA close to 90%. Bama at 90%. This could be key to some games. Can’t lose anyone…

KQ- No and I have not really asked about it. I think there will be a moving target all year with COVID-related stuff so I'm not as big on this stuff as other media members. I have family members who got breakthrough covid after vaccinations so I think again they will do what they can to play the games on time and will come up with ways to work around stuff, but having 100% or close to it may not mean much soon.

I think I recall you saying that Keon white would have the most sax next year. In the Q&A tonight no one meeting him at the top impact player for the transfers. Are you still high on Keion?

KQ- As as I said above, if he is healthy then I think him, Kirby and Kyric McGowan are the big three impact transfers followed by the kicker.

Demetrius Knightl move again to safety?

KQ- I expect he will play both ways, I'll leave it at that.

Any other position moves to note?

KQ- That is what camp is for ;) you all need something to look forward to this coming weekend.

Being undrafted, were the Pelicans and Raptors the best opportunities for Jose and Moses?

KQ- Yes given their options and what their agents told them, they would know a lot more than I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News