ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 7/15 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

Where do you think the defense will rank by the end of the year?

KQ- My gut feeling is Tyler Santucci will clean up a lot of the mental errors that caused the biggest issues GT had defensively last year just based on what I've seen and heard in his brief time here. If he does just that, i would think top 75. They will face a lot of potent offenses and that could sway the numbers down a little from what it would be if they were playing an easier schedule without Notre Dame, FSU or Miami/UNC on it.

Outside of Haynes King, who do you think has been the most important transfer/recruit of the Key era so far?

KQ- That is an interesting question. My gut feeling is Paul Moala because once they figured out how to use him he became a key playmaker on defense and he had several key plays late in the season. Maybe a healthier Brett Seither would be interesting. Honorable mention to Connor Scaglione. Out of the new guys, I'm really curious about Jackson Hawes, Warren Burrell and the the two new DTs they brought in via the portal.

Are there any future games at neutral sites coming up for Tech after this season? Or is this it for a while?
I feel there is a shift in CFB to minimize those to get bigger matchups at home stadiums. I could be wrong.

KQ- As of now there isn't anything on the schedule. I would assume GT will play in the CFA Kickoff Classic again at some point in the near future if that still exists. That Bama game in 2030 would be a prime candidate for that even though I want that game at BDS. I doubt they extend the Benz deal either.

Any updates on additional baseball transfers?

A few weeks ago, Russell mentioned some additional transfers that hadn't gone public yet. I believe the last to go public was Caden Spivey, the transfer from ND.

KQ- I can ask around, to be honest that has been off my radar for so long it will take some getting back into it before I know what is going on. My hope is my new hire will pick up the baseball slack left by RJ departing.

Have you formed your @Russell Johnson replacement search committee?

KQ- I actually have two people I really trust helping me with it and RJ is going to help the new person get setup as well.

How do the freshmen look? Who is standing out other than Uche Iloh?

KQ- This has been asked a lot and answered in different ways. The guy I would tell you to keep an eye on is Isiah Canion on offense and Tah'j Butler and Jordan Boyd on defense. I think Anthony Carrie is the other guy on offense that I expect to play a large role.

Assuming full health, rank these receivers by who you think will have the most yards this year: Singleton, Rutherford, Taylor, Blackburn, Lane, Boyd, Stockton, and Leary

KQ-

Most to least: Singleton, Rutherford, Lane, Blackburn, Boyd, Taylor, Leary, Stockton.

I think Leary has to really step up with his hands if he wants to keep up his playing time especially if someone like Canion above steps up or Zion Taylor jumps some people. Haynes King loves Lane so he will get some touches and they like what he can do as a versatile piece lining up all over. Boyd and Blackburn are two of the matchup problems with their size and Boyd's size and speed. Rutherford is just rock solid and Singleton has All-ACC potential if he can improve his routes and his hands have developed as they should have in the offseason as he gets stronger in the weight room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.