ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 6/16 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1623731682906.png

ADTS partnered with local breweries at Oregon State for in-stadium concession enhancements. ADTS just sent out a BDS enhancement survey and Atlanta has a number of terrific breweries. Coincidence?

KQ- I'm sure they would like to get some craft beverages into the stadium. One of the bigger boosters Tech has is also a major beer distributor so they'll have to get his okay I would think to do it in any big way though. Don't need to step on those toes.

O/U 4.5 GT lands Rivals250 commits?

RJ- Under. But not by much.

Does either Malloy or Hurter come back next year?

RJ- It could definitely happen, especially if Hurter does not like where he ends up in the draft, he could definitely return. I would anticipate Malloy returning, but I am unsure what his draft value is like currently.

He (Malloy) would be smart to return for another season. Especially if he is able to improve defensively.

Which top 23' guy is most interested in Tech right now?

RJ- Cedric Baxter, Jonathan Hughley and the other Langston Hughes cast, Malik Bryant,AJ Hoffler. etc.

Do we get Antavious Woody on an official?

RJ- That is the hope, I’m sure. They seem to like him quite a bit. I will touch base with him in the coming days.

Do we have any other official visit weekends coming this summer?

RJ- Just this next weekend (Mykel, EJ, Jaylon, etc.) and then they will take a break from them until either the last week of July or when the season starts.

Talk to me about TE recruiting. Is Sean Sallis option A? Who are some other targets we should keep track of?

RJ- He is NOT option A, to my knowledge.

Where it seems things are going is the recent offer, Daequan Wright. Another name to know is Nate Kurisky.

Tyrus Washington on the outside looking in currently

Who all is involved in these private work outs and what do they consist of? Obviously they check their measurables but is it like a small scale combine with 40 times and verts and bench press? Or do they have guys out there lining up across from the guy working out to see how they do?

RJ- They will also do position-specific drills as well. QB’s do a A LOT of throwing in the drills, for example. DB’s do a lot of drills where they open their hips and show the flexibility and burst necessary for the position. LB’s do quite a bit of bag workout.

OL/DL typically do a high amount of 1v1’s and drills to showcase their strengths, while also exposing their weaknesses.

What was the situation with Quentel Jones? Why did he not come for his official? Are we still actively recruiting him?

RJ- Unsure, but was told that he was not coming earlier in the week and removed him from the list. I will continue to dig on the situation and get back to you.

Is M. Allen really leaning towards Auburn and UNC?

RJ- Hahaha, no. If I had to put in a FC for him today it would be for Georgia Tech. UNC visit will be huge.

Over/Under our next commit is in 5.5 days

RJ- Under

How much money does GTFB spend on Official visits? Curious to know what their budget for that looks like. Like travel, food, hotels, swag bags, etc.

KQ- Depends on the visit and the size of the crew but it is several grand per kid. A local kid is a lot cheaper than flying someone in, but overall dinner, hotel and a flight and car services add up to a decent bill. The whole recruiting budget is mixed so it would be hard to figure out exactly how much they spend on just the OV part.

The current bovada line is set for 5 wins for GT. The Over is jucied at -125, under is -105. Seeing 5 wins is a push, what do you take?

Vegas was right about year 1 and year 2 so far. We opened at 4.5 wins a few weeks ago.

KQ- So last year I thought 3-5 was sort of the range and they hit the 3 mainly due to COVID issues and injuries decimating the team. I'd expect that range is now 4 to 7 wins depending mainly on the health of Jeff Sims and the OL and how far along the D has come. The schedule is still very difficult and probably the hardest in the ACC.

What happened to Tyler Morehead (Clinch County)? I saw he signed as PWO to play at Tech.

KQ- He was on campus the other day for a photoshoot, not sure if he has enrolled yet. I really don't take a huge interest in tracking the walk-ons until I see them do something on campus. That is a tough job and the wash-out rate is very high on kids. There are 10-15 guys for every Jack Coco or Dylan Leonard.

Hypothetical: GT is recruiting a 5 star player. Player is very interested in GT but also some other factory-type schools. GT decides to keep the key away from the register, while at the other schools it spontaneously opens up.

Is there a scenario where GT wins out in that recruit's signature? Facilties, school prestige, etc aside... can marginally superior relationships beat out an immediate life changing opportunity? If so, what does that look like in your mind?

KQ- Money almost always wins out. There is a reason why certain teams cheat and continue to cheat after getting caught cheating. Look at how many times Louisville has been pinched for example in hoops. There is like a 1-5% chance someone won't take the money but all things being equal they are taking the money.

I've read twice now about a dedicated "football building" that is in the planning stages for GTAA. Any idea on where they're planning to put it? ...or anything else you might know?

KQ- Something like that is a long ways off. That has been a discussion ongoing at Georgia Tech since maybe O'Leary. I know CPJ wanted to have locker rooms and offices in the indoor for example and just make that building bigger. I think the weight room situation is next. I think a new football building is at least a decade away unless Collins starts winning big. Winning got the indoor built more quickly and it tends to loosen the pockets, but from everyone I've talked to they'd like the weight room to be the next somewhat major project.

What is the plan to preserve the new Football Locker and Meeting Rooms that were recently remodeled while rebuilding the Edge Center?

KQ- Essentially the way the building is set up is like a giant pair of townhomes so the stadium side houses all the football stuff and the other building is the edge. I think there are even fire walls between the two sides. They don't have to move anything from the edge except maybe a couple of auxiliary rooms near the dining hall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News