ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 4/16 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

Sorry this is late, been swamped thanks to Tax Day and some family stuff plus the Rivals Camps.

After landing a commitment from Akai Fleming, Tech has the #1 class in the country for 2025 (for now).

Has there been any movement on Caleb Wilson or Bryson Tiller? Are there any other players we should know about?

KQ- Not really. Summer visits are coming up and eval periods.

Post Spring-top 5 guys who moved themselves up the depth chart?

KQ- This sounds like a good content item.

Do we expect anymore portal entries for basketball?

KQ- Could be one or two more. Just depends on what happens with Ibrahima Sacko for example.

OL depth best you’ve covered at Tech?

KQ- Yes

WR depth best as well?

KQ- Here, maybe or maybe not. I still need to see what the product and production looks like after McKnight has a chance to work with them more. I am hopeful.

The game highlights naturally focus on offense, how did the defense look to you vs last staff/scheme? I know it’s hard to tell with vanilla.

KQ- I think it looked a lot better.

After spring, what should we be most excited about ? What should we be worried about?

Excited about, the linebacker play so far is much improved. I'm still concerned about the rush end position.

Has Damon been looking for an assistant or is elder going to get promoted? Time table on the hire?

KQ- I don't have an new info on that. I've been digging, but haven't heard anything yet.

Any chance with somto Cyril?

KQ- No

Who pleasantly surprised you in the spring game?

KQ- Chris Elko. He was great and I was happy for him to have that moment.

Does Spring change your assessment / outlook for the season?

KQ- Hell no, it was ones vs twos. They ran basic stuff. The first two closed scrimmages are when you would learn something not a spring game. Not here or anywhere else. It is just an exhibition.

What is the biggest improvement that we need to make between now and Ireland?

KQ- Pass rush.

From the looks of the spring game, we are loaded at WR. I know last year Leary made a few plays but he could be in trouble if he is inconsistent this year. Would you agree? And is Elko a guy that could be a legitimate 3rd option at the X or Y, or was yesterday more about the defense than him making plays?

KQ- Yeah I think Christian Leary has to be more consistent if he wants to keep getting more reps as they develop guys like Bailey Stockton, Zion Taylor or other receivers.

On Elko, it was a great day. I'd be shocked if he is a rotation guy. It was a fun day for him.

So far, who would you say are our biggest/most active recruiters on each side of the ball?

KQ- This seems like a @Russell Johnson question.

Was Gapare’s decision to post a surprise? Any word on why he thinks this will benefit him as a player?

KQ- It was a surprise and I have no idea what his thought process was nor does anyone at GT.

If Kelly stays (as some posts indicate he will), Terry returns, George returns, newly recruited Mustaf is aboard, add McCollum, what roles do you foresee for each?

KQ- Kelly and George definitely start. Terry not sure but he will have a prominent role and McCollum is basically Kyle Sturdivant's replacement but he could start or come off the bench.

After big days in the Spring Game, should we expect to see much action from Elko, Stockton, and Zion Taylor in the fall?

KQ- Elko isn't Wes Welker or Hunter Renfroe or whatever so don't put too high of an expectations on him. Stockton and Zion Taylor I expect will be heavy in the rotation.

I was surprised to read that @Russell Johnson noted WR as a position CBK and co. would like to upgrade given the performances in the Spring Game and what we've been reading about spring practice with roles being carved out for guys like Avery Boyd, Janneh, etc.

Where does WR rank in order of position group CBK will try to attack the Portal? Top of the board? Somewhere in the middle? Nice to have, but definitely prioritizing other positions first?

KQ- The rush end and the DT spots are the two biggest priorities and then a DB but WR is probably the last spot.

Kelly.- can you give an update on the health & development of DE Yondjouen. What was his level of participation in Spring Practice?

KQ- So he is not able to run or anything so he was just an active observer this spring as Key spoke about as camp started. He will be cleared either next month or in June and he should benefit from the summer OTAs t let him get work in with Jess Simpson and Kyle Pope learning some techniques.

Maybe a bad time to ask, right after the Spring game, but how did you like the G3 show? I saw you post that you were going a while back, but don't remember you saying anything about after the show.

KQ- Ha, nah it is nice to get asked something a little different. The G3 show out in California was amazing. We were on row four or something like that and each of the three, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson and Steve Vai played a 45-minute set and then they jammed. Satriani's son ZZ got up on stage and played with his dad for the first time ever playing Satch Boogie. ZZ is making a documentary about the show and they were filming that night and the second night in L.A. for that. I saw every version of G3 except the original one back in 1996 because they didn't play Atlanta. One of the cool parts about being in L.A. was Nita Strauss and a metal guitarist Jason Richardson came out and jammed during the encore with the other three guitar players. They did a nice section as the encore of covers playing Crossroads, Born to Be Wild, Spanish Castle Magic and then they did Going Down and Foxy Lady. I caught a guitar pick from Vai as well.

do you think Kelly will be back?

KQ- Yes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News