ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 3/15 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1647371487815.png

Really worn down from camp, GT Pro Day and then having a Rivals Camp, a time change and Russell's flight land at 2am instead of 10pm in Florida so it took me an extra day to turn this mailbag around.

1. Will there be a War room soon?

KQ- Yes, after the spring game.

2. Do you have any insight on whether the spring game will be live tackling or more like 2 hand touch?

KQ- I assume there will be some tackling segments, I think it is going to broken into multiple parts, but we have not been told the exact format yet.

Would you say that what you have seen so far this Spring is what you hoped/expected to see in response to the last 3 seasons? We all know there has been a lot of change…but do those changes at least appear to be having the desired effect?

KQ- I'm very encouraged by what I have seen on both sides of the ball. I think guys are playing a lot faster and more relaxed (not overthinking every play on D for example) and that has led to a better product so far, but you can only tell so much playing each other.

Is next year "tourney or bust" for CJP and staff?

KQ- I don't know if I would go that far, honestly what happens with football could impact what happens with hoops if Pastner has an unsuccessful season. I think GT has the potential with one or two good additions to be in the top 8 in the ACC again and at least on the bubble. I really like the foundation of the future of the program.

What's something in spring football practice/camp we should pay attention to that no one is talking about?

KQ- Slot receivers are being used in the way I expect/hoped for when GT changed offenses from CPJ to Collins. That is where GT has some unique talent.

What is the staff change you would recommend for pastner that you mentioned a couple of weeks ago?

KQ- They need to revise the offense and come up with something more fitting to the type of personnel they have particularly more drive and kickouts more like ND or VaTech offensively than running the Princeton stuff. Unless you have a really good big who can hit a 15-footer or who is really gifted at driving and finishing, the Princeton offense is hard to operate from and I thought the ball got stuck a lot and Devoe was not very good this year.

what is your HS/transfer ratio if you are coaching:

1) A regular playoff contender
2) A mid-tier P5
3) A lower-tier G5

RJ-

Great question, really had to take some time to think this one through. Tough decisions would have to be made in each of these scenarios, but especially with No. 1 due to the limit in space.

1. 19/6 or 18/7?
2 15/10
3. 13/12

1. How's Deivon Smith healing? Is he going to be cleared to practice in the off-season soon?

KQ- He is doing a lot better, he was mainly shut down as a precaution to avoid bumping his head again until his brain settles. The second concussion is typically what really does someone in while they are still recovering from the first and it can take time.

2. Kelly, now that the season is over, at some point in the next month or so can you do a comprehensive piece on 'The Road Ahead for MBB? What are the big objectives for the off-season and the beginning of next season? What kind of general support is MBB getting from the faculty and The Hill?

KQ- Sure, that sounds like a good project for post-spring football. I've put it on my whiteboard.

3. Given the fact that we had such a dreadful time scoring the ball this season and given the fact that Devoe and Usher accounted for roughly 40 percent of our offensive production, who will produce the better offensive production that we will need in 2022-2023? Miles, Deebo and even Tristan 'flashed' during the season but weren't really consistent (not a criticism as they are young).

KQ- Deebo Coleman is very similar to Devoe, he is a volume scorer when he has the ball in his hands, he just needed to develop and gain more confidence. Kelly is very similar so they will fill up the guard scoring and Deivon Smith and Kyle should be good for 15-20 ppg together as well. They need a productive inside scorer and that is what they'll look for in the portal along with a combo guard IMO.

4. Is Saba a bust? Have we seen his ceiling? Is there a way for for him at Georgia Tech?

KQ- I think he does not fit what they are doing, he is not quick enough defensively and his effort level isn't the same as Rodney Howard or Jordan Meka and that is painfully obvious. He needs to play somewhere less defensively focused maybe down to a mid-major.

5. How many players are we looking to sign for next year?

KQ- I think four is the number right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News