ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 2/1 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1612160257372.png

What are you hearing about Collins future here? For example, let’s say we win 4 games this year?

KQ-
giphy.gif

We hear about alumni stepping in and cutting checks for the right cause or expenditure. We know that a group stepped in to pay CTR. If for example, the right OC is available is enough there to seed money for such a hire?

KQ- So there have been a few different things going on. There are some behind the scenes private fundraising going on for GT football for example and that is not unusual. The OC pool isn't exactly overflowing at the moment with great candidates because of all the coaching changes in recent cycles. Vandy just had to hire a pretty unimpressive one for example because there just aren't a ton of compelling candidates out there. If Collins said hey I want to hire X coach and he will do this and be a huge improvement but I need another $400k, that would happen to answer your question. My feeling more and more is Collins wants to give his guys a mulligan for 2020 and let them sink or swim in 2021 with the idea they will have a full spring, a full camp and not random COVID-related guys out each week complicating things.

What are you looking to see this year in the progression of Jeff Sims?

KQ- Reading defenses, his run keys in the read-option game, being able to read coverage better and go through his progressions faster. He was a first time QB and they seemed to simplify some of his reads on passing plays which make a lot of sense, but he often got locked on too early. Those are all really common issues for young QBs that should go away with reps and time. I saw how much he progressed just from spring ball to the FSU game and I know he is a pretty driven guy so I expect he is capable of making those improvements and upping his game.

Will Gibbs be a household name around the country with a full season and hopefully not missing games due to protocols?

KQ- Yeah I think so, they still need to develop some other things to open up the offense and take some of the heat off Gibbs, but he is special. People are very interesting in watching him outside the program.

You do not have to delve into it if it is too early but do you think Gleason would have ever started at GT if he would have stayed?

KQ- I think if things played out differently he would've had a chance to start at some point. Would he have beat out Sims, that is a lot harder to say because the offense with the current weapons at WR and the OL they have is set up better for a guy with some major wheels. In two years maybe that is a different story. I'll never count out a talented QB, I've seen plenty wait their turn and make the most of it.

Also GTYH ala @jonfreeman03, Tate Martell was the QB asking to transfer in last year wasn't he?

KQ- Nope, it was someone outside the ACC/SEC.

uga adding a Top Golf experience this summer for their stadium---feels like a smart way to snag some easy cash. GT thought about this at all? Would imagine BDS lit up with the ATL skyline would be a blast to smash some golf balls in.

KQ- I'm kind of surprised they have not done something like that yet. It is a little different since all the offices are right there at the stadium, but I still think that would be a cheap way to make some cash.

Also, what ya smoking for the Super Bowl? Think I am going with chicken wings!

KQ- I may not smoke, I prefer my wings fried most of the time, though someone could change my mind on it. I usually have wings and homemade cheese fries for the super bowl.

Who are some of your favorite college football writers/follows outside the Rivals network?

KQ- Ahh that is an interesting question. I've always enjoyed Ivan Maisel's writing and Andy Staples is another one who I read pretty regularly for many years as a national writer. I enjoyed how Andy weaved his food interests into his work. On the beat/team/straight reporter writing side, I like David Teel up in Virginia and I think he does really good work. He has a great pulse on the league in general.

Don’t expect you to know many of these but likely some subs will.

Whatever happened to Perry Clark, Kevin Cantwell and George Felton?

KQ- Just for those who don't know these are hoops guys, Perry Clark is a former GT assistant for Cremins, he works for Frank Martin at South Carolina as an assistant still. Kevin Cantwell is some sort of motivational basketball guru now. George Felton appears to be long retired he is like 81.

Whatever happened to Don Lindsey (Black Watch), Rip Scherer and Jon Tenuta? (If still upright, would Lindsey come out of retirement?)

KQ- Don Lindsey has been retired for quite some time, he had a lot of different jobs including stints at USC and Ole Miss toward the end. Rip Scherer just sat out the 2020 season as far as I can tell, but he has been working in the NFL mostly since 2005 with an interlude at UCLA on and off the field and Colorado. His last job was with the Chargers in 2019 as a TE coach. Jon Tenuta is working for Luke Fickell at Cincinnati and just moved off the field into an analyst role recently, before that he was the safeties coach if I remember carefully. Ironically the Cincinnati job is the first one he has had where the entire staff has yet to be fired!

Which of our bball seniors is most likely to return? Odds?

KQ- They haven't even come close to having those conversations yet. Pastner wants the kids focused on now.

Offer went out yesterday(Thursday) to Gavin Wimsatt and then today (Friday) he released a top 9 with GT in it. Seems to me that the offer went a long way. Could you see us taking the lead in his recruitment?

RJ- His top schools list is really a top six, with the three new offers he picked up included as well.

He has interest in GT, and could even visit possibly, but do I see GT taking the lead in his recruitment? No.

As I said, he included all three of his most recent offers in the list so that they knew they were getting a fair shot. You are looking far too much into a top nine list.

Georgia Tech has a much better hit rate on making the top schools lists being released the last couple of days, though.

Look for that to continue on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News