ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 12/6 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1638816136214.png

Is there a chance that practice may change with the new OC coming in??

KQ- Sure, coaches are always evolving in what they do and I'm sure Collins will be open to changing some things around. Each season Collins has been here they've tweaked practices.

Newer member, so sorry if this has been explained in mega detail. Can you walk me through what exactly happened with the search for a 12th game in 2017? I remember Duke nor the ACC tried to help even though it cost them bowl revenue. But otherwise did Tech or Todd/donors cheap out financially? Was it lack of opponents to play? And what did Paul Johnson think of it all? Thanks.

KQ- A little more context from a source on this, GT tried to move that UCF game to GT and move the reverse game last year's game to at UCF but they didn't want to. They tried to add a game but there were only a handful of teams in the same boat (weather cancellations due to the hurricane in Florida and the second one in Louisiana) who had the ability to add a game and it had to be an FBS opponent as well and there was a lot of money. They also needed someone to move another game on the schedule to make that happen and that opponent couldn't make that happen either.

From's Paul Johnson's end, he claims that 6-6 isn't good enough for GT to pay huge money for another game and a bowl berth and they could not get teams to rearrange other games to make it work. PJ said that was one of the final breaking points for him with GT and he only stayed around to coach 2018 because he wanted to go out with a bowl game and hopefully a better season.

GT basketball has some serious weapons on the perimeter, but will these guys be able to hang in the post against ACC teams? We held Crowl, Wahl and Vogt to limited production against Wisconsin, but our big look so timid and scared in the post. (I guess we’ll know more when we face Garcia and Bacot with UNC)

KQ- They need Miles Kelly and Deebo Coleman to be more effective offensively outside. I'm guessing we will see Usher/Khalid more in the post as they adjust the offense moving forward. The issue with UNC and Wisconsin is they had three solid bigs, UNC in particular was a nightmare matchup because Saba is clearly not ready and Rodney is not skilled enough offensively to work in the system against that size.

Do we take both Agu and Diakite?

RJ- No. They’ve been after Agu for months, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they go all in on him in the next 10ish days. That includes hosting him for a visit whenever they can get him to squeeze one in.

Diakite’s ship has sailed. He is off the offer list.

Are we looking at the transfer portal for any players available to play in January for basketball?

KQ- Say what? That isn't really a thing. Not sure where you got that idea from.

Where would Quick and Tchio line up on the ball if they come to Tech?

KQ- Quick can play all five spots, but is likely a guard, Tchio will be at LG or RG, so they are bolstering that guard box where they really need to upgrade the level of competition. They need to get away from having to start guys like Will Lay once someone gets hurt. Nick Pendley will be in the mix and Cade Koots as well.

Can Chayden Peery talk to Rodney Howard about how he got his nuts to drop? Would love to see him using his body more and push people around and drive into the rim and dunk.

KQ- Ha, that is funny, Rodney does look timid as does Saba, they need to just go back up with the ball on the offensive side, they'll get fouled or dunk it. They are too soft around the rim and that drives people crazy.

- There were lots of comments about our lack of toughness last year. I think it showed in our inability to run up the middle, and being blown off the ball and not getting to the QB. How do the coaches fix that?

KQ- Get bigger and stronger on the LOS, Key, CLK and Marco are tough coaches who expect toughness and I think having guys like Dontae Smith at TB vs Gibbs will help with those tough runs as well. Dontae is pretty fearless in the hole. On D, they need the LBs to play a lot better and clean up.

Have you heard any new updates about current players transferring? I know you provided an initial list but I don’t believe I’ve heard any new rumors. I guess a lot will also depend on who we hire..

KQ- I expect once final exams end there will be another flurry of movement on transfers and guys opting to not return. They are aiming to go to around 25 signees and transfers and only have 20 ships as of today.

Also, unpopular opinion here but I would love to see Juanyeh stay with the program. It looks like Azareyeh may go to Florida, if that’s the case do you think Juanyeh will be able to start there? I know it’s a long shot, but if they are dead set on playing with each other I’m not sure where else they could do that other than Tech. Do you agree?

Thanks for all you do Kelly, really enjoy the content.

KQ- Azareyeh isn't going to Florida as of right now, he is totally open and may not sign next week. His main recruiter at Florida got fired by Billy Napier today, Jules Montinar.

When are we expecting Jordan Meka to be available? Any insight on if Pastner will actually give him minutes.

KQ- He is available now and has been dressed, he just had the flu and is recovering somewhat from that and they opted to go with Saba in the last game because his size matched up better against the UNC bigs. I think when GT plays teams without two 6'10"+ sized guys on the court you will see Meka.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News