ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 12/5 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

If you’ve already said it, then disregard:

Are you able to tell us who you voted for in the ACC awards/ All-Conference teams?

KQ- I don't have a vote for that for football. I vote for men's hoops. I'm not sure who the GT market voters are.

Is RJ alive or did the Q&A and portal chatter vaporize him?

KQ- I think he melted

You might’ve already said this - What player is a good comparison for Aaron Philo? In other words.. when you watch him play, what former/current college QB does he remind you of?

KQ- That is a good question. I'm not really sure. The one that popped to my head immediately was Colt McCoy at Texas though I think Philo has better arm strength and touch on his deep ball.

Also, is this your favorite time of the year?

KQ- Ehh, no I'm getting pulled in twenty different directions.

How many eligible scholarship players are we going to have for the Bowl Game.....worded differently......Any clue how many players are hitting the portal before the bowl game that play?

KQ- No clue, they'll have enough to play a game but less than a full roster.

How does GT match up with ______ in the ______ Bowl? How much have you seen of them this year, have they lost any of their key pieces to the portal since the end of the regular season, and what is your early lean on the game?

KQ- Playing UCF and it looks like it could be a track meet. UCF has had a bunch of dudes go into the portal so that is something I'm keeping an eye on. They have some NIL shortcomings and that is biting them with kids right now.

Was looking back to see if I could find it but had trouble searching but are they any guys who walked on Senior day last year that still have eligibility next year?

KQ- KJ Wallace, D'Quan Douse and Billy Ward. I think KJ might come back. I think Douse may have something lined up outside of football like a job he is looking at. Billy is done here.

Damon give any indication why Nait didn’t start getting into the rotation until Cincy and then starting vs. Miss St? Seemed like a natural leader on the court vs Miss St.

KQ- Amaree Abram is really good, he just played very poorly and probably needs to play more off the ball but they are not going to pull Miles or Kowacie to do that right now. Nait is a little wild which you saw with some of the choices he made and his shot needs work and his one-on-one defense needs some work, that is why he was not in the rotation at the jump.

Meant to ask this earlier but the Michigan flyover last weekend reminded me

How do flyovers for games get coordinated? Is that something GT requests and pays for? Who decides what gets flown and from what branch?

KQ- I don't know the answer to that question. I'm happy to do some digging if I can remember. Circle back if I don't have an answer next week and I'll try to find out.

I'm not asking you to single anyone out, but how would you grade the talent out vs expected talent in for the guys who announced they were leaving?

KQ- I think you guys were expecting some mass exodus or something. It has been very marginal so far. The deepest cuts the past few cycles other than Gibbs happened in the spring/post-bowl games window.

It would seem like a couple of the guys are big losses but you both seem bullish on the incoming class so far.

KQ- Who is a big loss? Kenan Johnson is a solid corner with off the field issues and injury problems galore. He has been hurt as much as he has been healthy during his career here and that is why he hasn't played consistently. Kyle Kennard's stats outside of the Wake and SC State games were 1.5 sacks, 1 FF, 1 FR in 10 games plus all the drive-killing penalties and missed sacks and missed TFLs on RBs/QBs. I love Kyle but there is a reason he doesn't have much going on yet.

Administrative question. Does it benefit you if a JOL pays monthly or annually? I have been a monthly sub for about 2 years and probably should go annual but just haven’t.

KQ- I make more money off monthly. The reason we push the annual is it takes out the credit card situation for 11 months out of the year meaning that I don't have to worry about you changing cards and forgetting to update or your card gets stolen or whatever.

Can we get a sticky thread just for food arguments. chicken sandwiches, taco/hot dog/quesadilla/pizza.

I believe these topics were left unfinished and need to continue,

and I can't believe no one brought Calzones into it.....

KQ- Perhaps.

how huge is it that we are keeping Sylvian considering the Kyle Kennard departure. when do you expect the people that are down due to torn acls to comeback

KQ- I don't count anyone as for sure being on the team anymore until that spring portal window closes. Leo Blackburn should be a full go for spring. I'm unsure on the timeline for Sylvain but I would think he would be at least running by then.

I feel like I’m just waking up to portal, or maybe just now care given we haven’t been to a bowl game in 5 years.

What is the reason the portal opens before bowl games? It seems to even further deteriorate the meaning of bowl games (which I feel has already been hurt by the CFP).

Also, seems like a lot of coaches were let go this year. Given that players get a free transfer portal opportunity if a coach leaves, do we think coaches are going to have more longevity now at programs? Doesn’t seem to be the case this year, but programs who fired coaches are getting shredded.

KQ- You don't get a free transfer portal opportunity if your coach leaves, what you get is an opportunity to enter the portal in a 30-day window. The transfer rules still apply.

As to why it is before the bowl game, that is simply because of the early signing period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News