ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 12/13 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1664824228051.png

Blackstrain and Boyd both went down with injuries, do we think they’ll be ready for spring ball?

KQ- Boyd was dressed several games down the stretch. He has struggled to stay healthy and looked like he put on some weight. He has to stay healthy if he wants to be in the mix moving ahead. He shows some flashes at times. I'm not sure on BlackStrain, I honestly can't remember what his injury is right now.

On the subject of spring ball, do you think Key will opt for early like last year to work on Offense install with whoever the new OC is?

KQ- I'm not sure, I would think he is more of a traditionalist and would want it a little later. With the new summer workouts and being more hands-on, I think that sort of takes away the benefit of being David Cutcliffe at Duke and having your spring game before St. Patrick's Day.

Big plans for Christmas?

KQ- Hopefully some quiet time with the family and catching up on some TV and movies.

How many HS and transfers do you think we take this year?

KQ- My target number is something like 27-28 right now.

During the Key Press Conference, You asked a question to Key I think, not sure of the question- but they made the comment “ Are you going to Tweet it?” Was that just being Funny or was that a dig at you? I don’t remember hearing you laugh although I did hear others.

KQ- Brent and I are friends and have a personal relationship, he was busting my balls because I break so much news about GT.

Is there any chance Gibbs returns to Alabama for one more year to chase a national championship?

KQ- He is literally in Mock Drafts as a 1st round pick, so no. I googled one and he immediately popped up.

As a RB you go now, your shelf life is very limited in the NFL.

What do you think about the tentative schedule for next year? It seems that the schedule is front loaded with Louisville and Ole Miss, but not as much as this year.

KQ- No one knows what Louisville is, at Ole Miss is a hard game, but getting Wake post-Hartman there plus Cuse and BC who are both messes right now here helps a lot. Bowling Green sucks and has a coach I think is terrible. Still missing one game that I expect to be an FCS game as well. There is a path to a bowl game there.

I have heard that C******’s buyout was not due as a lump sum, but annual installments over the remaining contract life.

Do you know anything about that? Is that contract public?

KQ- The contract was posted on here and it is public. The buyout part is vague as shit and really not well executed IMO compared to other contracts. I'm unsure why that is because you could interpret it that you owe him $7 million or 10 million depending on how you read it. You won't be seeing contracts like that one ever again at GT as long as Cabrera is around. You can google his deal and it pops up.

How many of these guys in the portal are being advised to take a hike?

KQ- At GT or elsewhere, most leave on their own because they are looking for greener grass or money. Those are the two main motivations for kids going in.

Do you know where does GT rank in NIL funding in the ACC, middle third, bottom third? And if bottom third are we bottom 2 (thinking BC is probably in this category)

KQ- No one really has any idea about it, to be honest at this point. I could not tell you what any other school has other than Miami has spent A LOT OF MONEY.

Why does Pastner refuse to push the ball? Our half court offense is terrible.

KQ- Do you watch the games? Teams leak back to stop GT from pushing the ball because GT is much better in transition offense. That is the whole idea that Pastner has, he wants to run, but teams are dumping guys back to stop it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News