ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 12/11 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

Chances D Mo would come back next year?

KQ- Very small, I expect him ride it out with Shane Beamer until he gets fired. Then it could get interesting.

Also we know it’s to early but let’s at least get a small list of some possible DC and DB candidates

KQ- I expect it could be more than those two spots he is hiring and no. You all can wait another 12 days or so before we dive into it. Key has just has conversations with people to this point. He hasn't been doing the full-court press to hire his DC yet. They are trying to close the recruiting class right now.

Do we have any indication when any of our current guys will enter the portal? After bowl game? After spring?

KQ- Both, the ones who thought they were cashing in left already, Kenan Johnson and Kyle Kennard. There are others who will play in the bowl game and leave and then there are more who are going to finish in the spring and leave after the spring or announce their intention to leave before spring practice starts. There are multiple timelines at play.

- What has been the portal and NFL draft’s effect on UCF so far since the end of the regular season? I feel like I remember you saying their NIL situation had some overpromising and underdelivering going on.

KQ- No clue, my comments on their NIL related to the signing of HS kids. There is not a ton of interest in paying HS kids from a lot of boosters including those at UCF.

- How does bowl prep change now with the Thacker and Tillman news? Do those two go home now and do nothing? If so, who takes the two on-field coaching roles for the next two weeks and for the game on the 22nd?

KQ- Your guess is as good as mine. They have plenty of bodies who can coach in the bowl game like Brian Baker, Quentin Jones and Bill Stewart on the defensive side of the ball. I think Jones will take up the DB coaching duties, he is a GA but has actually been a college DB coach at a lower level. Stewart can help Sherrer and let Sherrer work more with the DBs and Ricky Brumfield has also helped with the DBs and been a DB coach in college so they are fine. Thack and Tillman can do whatever Brent asks them to do. My guess is they are looking for their next job.

What are the main differences/similarities you see in Paul Johnson and Brent Key? (Just going to skip over the clown) I know college football is a different world now than when Paul was coaching. But in terms of how they handle things like staff, players, recruiting, the state of the program..

KQ- Both men are highly competitive people. PJ is a card shark and pool hustler among other talents like investing. He is hyper-competitive and Key has that in all things relating to football, recruiting and how he runs his program. I think there is a huge difference in their egos and how they go about things. I think that is the similarity, the approaches are very different.

if you were a detective, who are you declaring the mole?

KQ- I'm pleading the 5th.

Any chance we could hire Wesley McGriff from auburn as the next DB’s coach?

KQ- None or 100 or something in between. It is going to come down to the DC hire and how he wants to assemble the staff and what the DC's speciality is rather than just throwing names like McGriff or Trooper Taylor out there that people get excited about.

Can we bring Charlie Hustle in on Overreaction Sunday to hear his take on the William Depepae situation? 🤣

KQ- Hey kid will land on his feet, I'm happy for him. He is going somewhere that is a better fit IMO.

Any thoughts on transfers from last cycle who haven't played yet? Jordan Brown, Justin Brown, Austin Dean?

KQ- Jordan Brown has been hurt quite a bit since he arrived at GT and is still a pretty young guy. They dressed him for the final games again. He is a backup G/T type.

Austin Dean is a walk-on from Rutgers, he isn't going to play a meaningful role. I think some media screwed that up and made it sound like he was a scholarship guy when he was a walk-on.

Justin Brown is a true freshman, he isn't really a transfer. He left after Mike Leach died and he didn't like the vibe at Miss State with Arnett in charge. He had to go in the portal because he stepped foot on campus there. No telling where he is at yet because he is a true freshman.

Meant to ask a few weeks ago after UGA. Do you have any insight on Amari Harvey’s sideline blow-up in the UGA game? He got pulled late in a drive (I think the one where we got the pick in the end zone) and came off the field hot and clearly pissed. He moved away from the other defenders over to the bench and Avery Boys came over to talk to him to try and calm him down (unsuccessfully).

Anyway, wasn’t sure if you had any intel on that or any sense if Harvey was unhappy and may be an attrition risk?

KQ- No clue, but Ahmari Harvey is stuck at Georgia Tech. He transferred here from Auburn last year. He can't go anywhere without a GT degree he doesn't have and won't have any time soon. The whole DB coaching staff is gone so I doubt he is going to be pissed about that if he had a beef.

Can we go into depth on the Koby Young situation? Are we truly dropping him for a separate receiver (Gatling)? If so.... why?

KQ- You have to be able to meet the entrance requirements to enroll at Georgia Tech. That is not a given right now so they are readjusting the WR class.

- Re: Competitive Drive Initiative, Turn 2 ... how much has been raised to date? (Website shows ~$451K, as of 11/7)
- Re: NIL ... ditto ... how much have we raised?
- And NIL-wise, how much have other ACC schools raised?

KQ- On Competitive Drive 2, I have no clue, there are some subs on here who could shed light on how that is going.

NIL is private and for a reason. You don't want other people knowing your numbers. They've had an uptick in money coming in including a big donation this past weekend though.

No one knows what collectives have financially other than some ranges at best. It is mostly conjecture except for situations where someone has been clear there is an issue which I'm seeing a few schools. My understanding is GT is in decent shape in the ACC now.

Does dropping an out of state commit this late in the cycle scare the other out of state commits of that same thing happening to them? I understand that William lives far away from here but seemed like a GT kid and even came to visit on gamedays this fall so seemed like he did everything right. Could that be a reason why Butler is going to Tulane to have a backup option?

KQ- That has nothing to do with what other kids are doing to this point. The staff has been clear on what and why things are happening the way they are with recruits. Tah'j has been a dude they've had to fight to keep for the entire recruiting cycle. He has been looking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News