ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 11/20 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

Do we have a chance against UGA?

KQ- There is always a chance. It would take a perfect storm of events to win the game, but they can hopefully replicate last year's effort and make it a game at worst. UGA is really rolling right now so it will be interesting to see what happens, but I'm not overly optimistic of some earth-shattering upset.

What do you know about our overall NIL situation? Mostly pertaining to football.. Has it improved this year? Is it a big priority for Batt and Tech as a whole right now?

KQ- It has improved and they are working on it all the time. Batt is actively suggesting people donate to NIL and pushing that as a key piece of building up the foundation of what the GTAA will look like over the next 5-10 years and using things like Competitive Drive to backfill money lost via donations dollars that are being focused on NIL. People will donate to both, but they want to increase the NIL money and make it more functional. As the teams improve that should create opportunities for more NIL sponsorships from companies and take some of the pressure off the common donor.

Do you think GT would benefit from running a base 4-3 scheme (like last night) over 4-2-5 (in vogue rn) with the lack of stud line backers you’ve mentioned. Instead of finding the best two, just add another. Our run defense certainly seems much worse than our secondary play.

I know we tried the 3-4 and maybe that would’ve worked with Biggers back then with Groh. But another body at backer instead of trying to get two studs out there all the time might be a better option?

I know there are coaching changes to consider but it seems that we are best when running a regular old 4-3 (Wommack, Tenuta, Roof)

Putting 4 lineman with hands on the turf (attacking) and 3 linebackers to hold the run.

KQ- No, who is going to cover a slot receiver in that set up? You can't play one-high safety all the time and have the other safety try to cover Nate McCollum or Xavier Restrepo with a pure safety all the time or Braelen Oliver or whoever you line up at SAM. That isn't going to work. You will get torched. Most of the teams Georgia Tech plays are primarily 11-personnel teams so your base can't be a 4-3. The former HC and former DC still on staff both ran a 4-3 at their former stop. They tried to figure it out too, it just doesn't work.

You have to get better at linebacker and you saw last year it works fine if you are solid at LB.

Making a bowl. Is it bigger for the fanbase or recruits? I have seen so much improvement in this program that I felt things were looking way up regardless, but I know a huge portion of our fanbase has Post Traumatic Geoff Syndrome. Russell said making a bowl would really turn recruits heads, especially when it came to staying home.

KQ- It is a little of both. They need proof of concept to sell in recruiting and they have that now. Fans want to know the program is headed in the right direction and want to believe in something, but the used car salesman stuff wore out a chunk of the fan base and Key will have to win to draw them back in.

It is a net positive for both.

The non-targeting targeting hit on King. WTF? Was there any more explanation from the ACC that makes that make sense? I mean, we’ve all seen enough targeting calls against defenders who clearly weren’t trying to target the offensive player, but officials don’t take intent into consideration they just decide if the play meets the technical definition of targeting. If the Lockett hit on King didn’t meet the technical definition of targeting (forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder) I don’t know what does.

KQ- Everyone was shocked by it especially because the review was called for by the replay official who buzzed down to the field. I would be curious to hear what the head of ACC officiating had to say about it.

What is your bowl projection KQ?

KQ- I think they end up playing Rutgers in Yankee Stadium. I think TV views that as an interesting matchup and there are not many logical other opponents. The two teams haven't played since 1921 either so I think that would make it interesting. I would love El Paso or Fenway or Yankee Stadium.

Does this win do anything to the mentality of our HC? I could see his emotion in the immediate post game interview so he had to know how big this was for him to solidify himself as a GT HC for the foreseeable future.

KQ- He knew how important it was to have the proof of concept of what they are trying to do and that he needed to go bowling in one of his first two seasons so it takes some external pressure off Key and I think that helps him. Also he really wanted it for the kids and the staff and the fans.

Question on all defensive recruits committed thus far. Are they “committed” to the defensive staff?. I see Key getting a new DC. If he gets decent money for a good DC, the whole defensive staff would most likely change. Will this help, hurt or both in regards to recruiting?

KQ- More of an RJ question, but the main ones who have a particularly close bond are the NOLA guys that Ricky brought in so that is not really connected to the offense or defense.

Is Singleton having a hard time with something? His performance is not up to his usual level of play. This is been happening since UVA and even during that game had some problems

KQ- He clearly had an injury that caused him to miss the Bowling Green and he has been somewhat limited since then per my sources. I think whatever is going on has impacted him a little with his hands. He and Chase Lane both need to get healthy. Hopefully, they will be for the bowl game.

One more question: Any way Tech can erase Dec 2018-Oct 2022 from the record books?

KQ- Win and it turns into the story that I've hinted at where Collins becomes Bill Lewis, a sad footnote that helped bring about a new day for the program and some consistent winning over an extended period through multiple HCs.

Maybe inappropriate to ask while the stepson is still going but can we get your top 3 DC targets you would reach out to if you were Key?

KQ- I assume you mean season. If you are going to replace Kevin Sherrer which I'm not sure is the case or not yet, I think my first call is to D.J. Durkin at Texas A&M who has been very successful and is also an excellent recruiter and LB coach. I might look at Shiel Wood who was on staff CPJ's last season as DBs coach who is at Tulane and has them rocking and Chris Hampton at Oregon who is the Co-DC there who was a GA here under CPJ and was Tulane's DC the last few years as well. Hampton is a very sharp guy and is on track to become a head coach somewhere. Ironically I tried to convince CPJ to hire Hampton over Lamar Owens when Jeff Monken left and just let the dude coach A-backs because I thought he was a sharp dude. That conversation didn't go well for me. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News