ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 10/21 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

How long do you think Efford will be out?

KQ- He is day-to-day, like I said before the ND game, they were trying to get him ready in case he could go.

When we (finally) have a winning program?

KQ- This is the groundwork stage of it, compare it to GOL's second full season. I think that is where they are at right now. It wasn't exactly a turnkey operation hence why GC3 got fired four games into the year and not at the end of the year like most coaches. It was a mess and it was so bad the school president fired everyone. Key is fixing it block by block.

I’ve got two:

Is it me or does ot seem like we quit before the whistle? Multiple games we’ve got the stop and then the runner/qb breaks free for an extra five yards. Not sure if we are afraid of a penalty or think we’ve got the stop.

KQ- I get what you are asking, you think guys are pulling up a little bit. I haven't seen that as much as just unsound tackling at times at the second level and some guys regressing to what they did under the previous staff.

What a dumpster fire special teams we are, getting as bad as GC3 days. What do we have to do to turn the page? Brumfield was courted and we ponied up, but wow are we bad.

KQ- There are a few different pieces to the special teams puzzle and it is not just Ricky, but also Tim Salem who Key brought in from Pitt who is the primary person who works with that group and then some other people who help in different areas. The mistakes have been all over the place too. It is not just on Aidan Birr or David Shanahan or Henry Freer. Each one of the breakdowns or miscues has been a different thing. It is super weird to me. With GC3 they couldn't get off a punt at all. That is a different issue.

When does Brunfield get fired and who do you think we will look at the replace him?

Also, are we recruiting another punter and/or kicker?

KQ- As I said above he isn't alone in coaching this thing and Key has to figure out why they are having mostly mental mistakes in multiple areas. It is easy to point the finger at the special teams coordinator but he didn't snap the ball high like the first missed FG Saturday or tell the outside protector at Louisville to let a guy run by him untouched without so much as an arm grazing the guy. I'm not sure why they are having so many mental breakdowns though.

Asking for a friend, How does one reconcile the posture of Brent key being all about toughness, physicality, and accountability…and then watching his team and unit (OLine) play not to that level of talk and hype?

KQ- Physical superiority cancels out a lot of stuff. Notre Dame is a big physical team especially upfront on D and they kicked GT's butt. It has happened under coaches from Heisman to Key at every school. I think it is clear the OL's strength isn't run blocking either in the scheme and they need to continue to adjust there.

Why does Buster lack the ability to adapt? Multiple games now where the run hasn’t been there and he continues trying to force it.

KQ- They ran the ball fine the previous two weeks, ND did a great job of taking away the run. You talk about him trying to force the run, but ZP had 49 dropbacks on 67 snaps, that is not forcing the run. You have to try to loosen it up with some runs. Adapting the run game is a different question with different types of runs, that is a better thing to discuss but above my paygrade in football understanding.

Why do we look like such a poorly coached team? We looked really well coached at the beginning of the year and as the season has gone on, we make more and more mental errors.

Are the systems we’re running too complicated for our kids? I love Key but a lot of this has to fall on him I’d imagine.

Or have we always just been bad and our schedule is nowhere as hard as we thought it would be?

KQ- GT played a top-15 team and it was a one-score game at halftime and a two-score game in the fourth quarter. This isn't Alabama. I don't get this idea of why people think they team is significantly better from a talent standpoint than it is. I never thought they were going to win this game, but they actually played better than I expected.

What changes need to be made to this staff? Why can’t we tackle?

KQ- I think they need better players at some key spots defensively. As far as staff goes, I am not going there.

1) Would we have won this game in Bobby Dodd?

KQ- No, I think it might've been a closer game though.

2) Where is the best chicken sandwich in MBS?

KQ- I have no clue, I try to get into the AMG lounge when I go to MBS for soccer and I never go to Falcons games because I'm always zapped after CFB Saturdays.

Will you please ask Key why we continue this asinine running to the los on every punt. I assume it would open the opportunity for successful fakes, and possibly effect the return team’s responsibilities. However, when every single punt is rushed or nearly blocked and we have poor punt coverage, I think we would all prefer them to line up and execute their blocking assignments. Maybe we have personnel issues on that unit. I recall CPJ saying that was the issue when USF ran those kicks back several years ago.

KQ- Interesting question I'll jot that down.

Was this our fourth year out of five in MBS? Is the UGAg game the last one? Attendance was 59K so that's a positive. Conession prices are more reasonable and it's an awesome stadium. My greivances are I think we'd have better energy at BDS and I go from the 30 yard line in the lower west to the corner of the end zone in MBS. Seems J Batt fixed that for UGAg. What other positives do we get?

KQ- The last year is 2026, I expect that will be it and that is why they did the cash in on the UGA game. Once BDS renovations start they will want to be there for every home game.

Do we use O & D starters on Special Teams, or 2nd stringers ?

KQ- Depends on the unit, the FG unit is a mix of guys starting and backup OL/DL. Something like FG block is all starters. Kickoff coverage is the most varied one because you have guys like Austin Dean the walk-on LB or freshmen like Christian Pritchett or Amontrae Bradford out there and they had quite a few guys having to jump into roles because of injuries so Will Kiker was playing on Saturday on two units or Jacob Cruz who I haven't seen much of on teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.