ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 10/14 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1689695750422.png

Are referees taught to only call the obvious holdings? I feel there are several holdings each game that aren’t called.

KQ- There are specific things they are looking for because you could call it on any play in the game if you were to follow the exactly rules as they are worded.

Why is it that for two games in a row, GT has dominated the stats, but can't reflect that in the score? Against Duke we dominated almost every stat. At half time, it was greatly in GT's favor but only lead by three. Couldn't break away in that game until halfway through the 4th. Against UNC had a missed FG and a returned punt. But were better in yards, TOP, YPP, etc. and had two turnovers to none. Still tied with less than one minute remaining.

If just seems very odd to me that we have better stats, and look like the much better team, yet still can't score points that match the look/stats.

KQ- They gave up field position several times including the punt return for a TD and GT missed a FG, that was probably about 17 points of swing toward UNC and GT only had one momentum swing of 7 points in the positive. That would be the main reason. Same thing happened in the Duke game.

I get wanting to run clock, but the playcalling was WAY too conservative with Pyron in the game. Everybody talks about how Pyron practices and how he prepares as if he was the starter.

Why do you think they were so careful with their playcalling? Was it just focusing on running clock? Uncomfortable with lack of gametime experience in 23 and 24?

If (god-forbid) King can't go next week, what might the coaches hope to see from Pyron this week that they don't see every other practice with how he already preps?

KQ- That is a question for Brent Key and Buster Faulkner, I'm not sure why. Maybe looking at the game again might yield some answers, the substitution penalty that was Buster's fault killed that one drive when they were in 3rd and 1 and had two plays to probably pick up that first down. The D was playing well and they were slowing down a little offensively and it seemed like UNC was all over the WRs and the screen game as well.

Is there a possibility that you allow your members to vote certain people off the board with stupid moronic comments and inappropriate behavior? I would be happy to pay the lost revenue you would incur!

KQ- There is an ignore button that you all can use and I cannot, unfortunately. lol

Why do our fans hate winning?

KQ- I don't get all the handwringing. This team as I said at the beginning of the year is a 5-9 win team depending on how things play out. They are right in that line right now and anything above 7 wins was going to be a great season with the tough schedule set up.

Was the hole Jamal Haynes ran through the size of two or three Waffle House booths?

KQ- It was as big as the bar counter at a Waffle House. lol

Did Collins interact with any of our staff or players pregame or post-game or did he hide pregame and sprint to the locker room immediately post-game?

KQ- He hid like I thought he would. He didn't come out until the full team came out for warmups and he stayed on his side of the field with his players. I saw zero interaction. Maybe there was something after the game, but I doubt it was much.

What round do you think Omarion Hampton goes in the draft? They better hope he doesn’t go down. He’s really impressive.

KQ- He is probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick because the NFL doesn't value RBs and he has a lot of miles on his tires as well. He is closing in on 3,000 career yards rushing and will go over 500 rushing attempts in his career in the next game, that is a lot.

Anything you're aware of that's preventing Anthony Carrie from seeing the field? We ran the ball almost 50 times against UNC and he wasn't out there, and I don't think he ran against Duke or Louisville. Seems like he's at the very bottom of the depth chart, which surprised me after all the positive things we heard about him in the off-season.

KQ- He is not at the bottom of the depth chart, Anthony is 3rd right now behind Haynes who was the ACC POW and Alexander who was running for over 6 yards per carry. Most teams do not play 3 RBs in a game unless it is a slog with a lot of long drives. The two RBs had 29 carries 19 and 10 each, that is a pretty normal workload. I get people being excited to see him but Alexander is ahead of him right now and has a better grasp of the offense.

I know it really doesn’t matter, but why does Harrison Moore have to change numbers? Could he not report as eligible to the ref and be fine?

KQ- College does not have the same rules as the NFL where they'll just announce that #78 is eligible for this play when they bring in an extra OL so when Moore was coming into the game against Duke as an extra OL he could not run routes or catch a ball beyond the LOS. By switching to a non-lineman # he was eligible and they had him out in the pattern a few times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.