ADVERTISEMENT

JOL Mailbag 1/25 Sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
1611560327699.png
- What is more important? Passing accuracy or Passing efficiency?

KQ- That one is easy, it is efficiency because that formula takes into account both accuracy and effectiveness of the throws with TDs, completions and yards subtracted by interceptions and overall attempts. It is a formula. You can throw a dime, but if guys don't catch it or if you can't score it is kind of meaningless. Mike Leach has guys throw all the time with great accuracy numbers because of the volume and short distance of the attempts, it has rarely translated into the NFL for those same QBs.

- Question for RJ...Where did Matthew Hoppe come from?? Holy crap dude 5 goals in 3 games for Schalke 04...

RJ- Oh man.. he has been sensational. He has a tall task ahead of him in terms of trying to save Schalke from being relegated, but he has made them a must-watch every match.

It gets said a lot, but the future is bright for the USMNT. SO much young talent, and it is only getting better. Would compare it to the recent run Belgium have been on with the Hazard brothers among others.

The US will be thanking Bundesliga clubs for years to come for training their players up the way they have in recent years. Has been much more productive for their careers than playing in the MLS, for example.

Assuming we get a normal offseason (full spring and full fall camp) what would be the amount of wins tech fans should be looking at? .

KQ- I feel like we talk about this all the time, but the absolute bottom IMO is four and the ceiling is probably 7 maybe right now. Anything outside of that is either going to be really good or a very big problem.

Seems to be a lot of offers coming out lately and I can’t seem to keep up. Any names that we should keep a close eye on thats is close to committing after getting the offer?

RJ- Names to keep a close on that are close to committing in the 2022 class after receiving an offer in January of their junior year? I don’t see anyone committing to any schools on the spot at this point in their recruitment.

Not any recruit that GT would be targeting, at least. There are a few recruits that have already committed and de-committed twice, which is actually on-pace to be a record.

The offers that are being sent out right now are indicative of the shifting taking place around the recruiting board, at all positions.

KQ- I'd say the 2023 and 2024 offers are sort of nice to look at and are more of slow day stories as well. Focus on the 2022 offers those are not coming at the same clip.

If this season started tomorrow and you were in CGC’s position, what would be your projected starting 11 on D? Maybe as an added bonus for us, do you have any predictions on breakout candidates or players who deserve added reps on that side of the ball?

So I'll go with the expectation that everyone they've added is on campus for this game including guys like Keion White who are not enrolled yet and everyone is healthy which we won't necessarily have a true picture of until later.

DE- Keion White
NT- TK Chimedza
DT- Djimon Brooks
DE- Jordan Domineck
LB- Quez Jackson
LB- Charlie Thomas
NB- Kaleb Oliver
FS- Juanyeh Thomas
SS- Tariq Carpenter (put him in the box more)
CB- Tre Swilling (he could move to NB if some of the other CBs step up IMO, that is where his future is)
CB- Zamari Walton

I'll be curious to see how the DE rotation is set up and the LB situation as well.

Looking at the 2021 offer list, it appears we'll take another OL in this class. What type of OL are they looking for? Interior vs. Exterior, experienced starter vs. developmental guy, etc.

RJ- At this point, I am of the opinion that if they are going to add another OL in the 2021 class, it will be a transfer with some experience. No guarantees that it happens, though.

Is there ANY wiggle room for rescheduling @Notre Dame on Nov 20 and then playing the dwags on Nov 27..... especially with them playing Charleston Southern on Nov 20? Does ANYONE pay attention to this stuff? If the ACC forces this, why are they?

KQ- I'm not 100-percent sure how the ND games are set, but their schedule is locked in and the UGA game is a contracted game between those two schools so the ACC has zilch to do with that. Weather could really suck for the ND game as well late November in South Bend. The schedule is hard though and to be honest they are better off playing to two non-conference games that are hard at the end after whatever happens in the ACC happens IMO.

How does Clark and Defoor not coming back impact our OL play? I assume neither were starters, but could be adequate depth. Will the remaining backups play at the same level or will we see a drop off?

KQ- Jack DeFoor started every game that CGC has coached at Georgia Tech almost all at left guard, so he was the starter and he would've been the starter IMO if he came back for another year. Not everyone is going to play in the NFL. He has put in his five years of college.

Charlie Clark had major arm injuries that he has had to battle back from and clearly he wasn't going to the NFL so he had some job opportunities and was done with school and decided to pursue those. I think as the other OTs got more acclimated it would've hurt Clark's playing time more.

Other than what the staff releases through social media, any news/reports you will be privy to on how the team progresses though winter workouts (measurables, speed/strength gains, team leaders...)?

KQ- Yes, but those workouts have not started yet, the actual program starts in Feb. They are in their offseason teams right now and they have some workout stuff they do, but it is not the same thing as the full blown offseason program yet.

Is there a team goal or primary area of focus this off-season?

KQ- Basically they focus on conditioning, strength, speed and weight gain as a general rule or toning if it is a bigger dude he needs to trim up. Those are the pillars of most strength programs. GT does a ton of work on each aspect in the offseason program along with team building (personal piece).

Is there a press conference scheduled with CGC in the near future? What’s your first question? I suggest considering your 2nd, maybe wait for your 3rd question, to be about the 404 street wear video and product roll out plan.

KQ- So I was told there is no plan for an immediate Collins presser. Some of my counterparts asked last week about it. I figured we would not hear from him until the second NSD (if they add anyone else) or closer to the start of camp. I don't think there is a huge desire to rehash 2020 from anyone inside the program.

I've probably missed it and apologize if so. Is Rivals planning any of their football evaluation camps for 2021?

RJ- There have been no announcements or anything, but I am expecting them to either get pushed back to further in the spring/summer, or get canceled altogether.

KQ- I can't imagine anything happening. They have to have things like insurance for example and rent facilities and no one will be cheaply doing either until the COVID stuff is more under control. The only camps that appear to be happening anytime soon are hyper-local like within a county with a smaller group of kids. The logistics of doing a Rivals camp are challenging as well. If there is something worth covering however we will do it. RJ and I have spoken about it. My hope is schools can have camps so GT would have camps or 7v7 tournaments this summer. That is probably a more reasonable timeline.

We don’t have any commits for 2022. Is this normal across the board as guys may be sitting on the sidelines waiting to see if visits are allowed? Any concern we should have for our potentially historically record breaking 2022 class?

RJ- I touched on this a bit in an earlier question, but this is no time to worry whatsoever for Georgia Tech fans. With the limited number of spots available, both due to the NCAA being inept and the amount of seniors on the roster, Georgia Tech is going to have to be selective in who they take this cycle.

They are not going to take 25+ in this cycle, not even with HS kids + transfers if I had to guess. The staff is currently in on a greater quantity of bigger name targets than they have been the last two cycles at this time also, and those prospects tend to take their time.

I say all of that without even mentioning the fact that the dead period is (hopefully) going to be ending in a little bit under three months. That has both recruits and coaches excited, and some programs would like to measure up the prospects they are taking if at all possible. Seeing them camp would be even better, but one step at a time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News