ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Hullinger on Billy Shaw

Tech89

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2021
Jeff Hullinger posts lots of interesting Atlanta-related vignettes on his Facebook page, including frequent stories about Tech. Here's his latest on Billy Shaw.

As Georgia Tech football shows signs of October life under Brent Key, one of the Yellow Jackets greatest players taking note from Toccoa, Georgia, Stephens County, “He (Coach Key) is doing a great job, they are on the right track.”

Billy Shaw is 84 years old now, he played both ways for Bobby Dodd between 1958-1960, and was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame (1999) after a brilliant career in Buffalo
🦬
as an offensive lineman. He played in 119 games for Bills from 1961 to 1969, was selected to the All-AFL team five times, and appeared in eight All-AFL All Star Games.

As is said reverentially in pro football—“a very bad man.”

“I am the only member of the HOF to have never played a down in the NFL, my career was in the AFL,” noted the famous pulling guard who sounds about half his age.”
Billy was drafted by Dallas (1961) in the NFL, there was a plan to use him as a linebacker, he opted instead for Buffalo, the AFL, and the offensive line.

Smart decision.

The 1960’s Bills were a powerful marvel, Cookie Gilchrist, Wray Carlton ran, Daryle Lamonica and Jack Kemp threw the ball, the Buffalo Offensive Line was one of the best in football. A crushing unit of continuity and violent choreography.

“Jack Kemp our QB (US Congressman, US Housing Secretary, 1996 GOP VP Candidate) was the smartest man I’ve ever met. He was something else,” Mr. Shaw wistfully noting after a pause, “Jack would have been a great president.”

Secretary Kemp, the influential politician/athlete, died from cancer in 2009.

Mr. Shaw says he will always be grateful to a pair of immortal football men, Otto Graham who moved him from DT (sitting behind Bob Lilly) to OG at the College All Star Game and Georgia Tech’s Bobby Dodd.

“He (Coach Dodd) was always honest, good or bad. The most forthright person ever.”

Those former GT Bobby Dodd players have a special bond never to be broken, they still gather once a year during the Summer.

“We have a group of about 15 to 30 guys, we call ourselves Cherokee Rose, don’t ask why,“ said Mr. Shaw, “we once gathered in Destin, now as we’ve aged, it’s the Georgia Mountains.”

Billy is grateful for the GT influence, Coach Dodd, the institute, and his roommate, future Rams, Eagles, Washington Pro Bowler, the great Maxie Baughan.

“So many have been instrumental in my life, we (Baughan) roomed junior, senior years at GT, close friends, such a special player, a person that helped me.”

Today life remains full for the Shaw family.

Billy and wife Patsy celebrated their 64th year of marriage this year, “we met in Toccoa at church, after my family moved from Mississippi to Georgia, she was mighty pretty, still is.”

Two adult children live a few doors away, Grandson Jake Thornton (Stephens County HS) is the offensive line coach at Auburn, the family is ready for the Iron Bowl battle with Alabama.

As for the toughest player he ever faced while wearing a Buffalo uniform, Mr. Shaw responded quickly, “The Patriots Houston Antwine, 6 feet, 280lbs. He had my number.”

Billy Shaw is handling other numbers with more dexterity, he recently lost 130lbs, down to 206lbs.

And the most important number, 84.

After stepping away from his bustling concrete business years ago, Billy not slowing down at all, still out front leading everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News