ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Impressions from Media Day 8/3

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
I was stuck in traffic so I only caught the final part of CPJ's presser. I get him tomorrow so I can ask him anything tomorrow. I did see him say Tariq Carpenter is out for the year, no big deal there.

TaQuon Marshall had some serious swag, said he expects to win the starting QB job or at least push the heck out of Matthew Jordan.

Jordan said he has been able to throw and do stuff since the first week of July. He led extra workouts with WRs after being cleared to make up for his team missed. Jordan says he does not notice this foot anymore and feels 100%.

Brant Mitchell talked about how he was too geared up at the beginning of last season and that messed him up and hurt his performance. Said he wants to win every play and that is just how he lives his life. Said he is looking forward to the Tenn game since his family are all Vols. Says he wants to go to family holidays this year and not have to say a word about the game because GT won.

Corey Griffin talked about the "come to Jesus" meeting they had with Ted Roof last year. Said Roof had installed multiple checks on a single player movement like a man going in motion and where he ended up. Confused the heck out of the kids, so now Roof talks to guys like Corey to see what they feel comfortable running each game and have confidence in call wise and that is why the D player better in the last 1/3 of the season. Griffin thinks that Jalen Johnson could be a guy who could surprise people as a backup, said Jalen is hungry.

Qua Searcy said the offseason workouts have been torture, Sisk has really given them the biz to get them ready for a really tough schedule. Said it is the hardest he has worked in his life.

Ricky Jeune said he feels like this is the best group of WRs they've had at GT in a while, said the team is really deep all over. That was a constant comment throughout the day.

Andrew Marshall said he feels good about the three-man rotation at OT with Jahaziel Lee and Jake Stickler as well as walk-on Bailey Ivemeyer.

Andrew Marshall said that he feels okay about the backup center position, said he thinks Scott Morgan could end up winning the job, they are looking at other guys as well. He also said Kenny Cooper is coming along well and they have a lot of confidence in him.

KeShun Freeman talked about his desire to go out with a big bang, said he was really struggling to start last year because of injuries and it took him longer to get going. Expects a faster start this year.

Lance Austin says he thinks the secondary will have a really big season. Said he thinks the defense will be better than people realize going into the year.

I asked each of the 9 players about a standout among the incoming freshmen and several offered opinions about guys at other positions.

Antwan Owens- said he is a big dude and works his tail off and is in great shape. Think he can help at SDE immediately.

Jerry Howard- TaQuon basically said he think Howard will beat out Quaide and KirVonte to backup Mills. Said Howard is really big and light on his feet and moves really well.

Tre Swilling- He was mentioned more often than even Bruce, Tre apparently has a really strong work ethic and wants to be successful.

Bruce Jordan-Swilling- several players have been impressed with him in workouts.

Adonicas Sanders- Ricky Jeune said he has really good hands and they think he will fit in nicely at WR.

Lots of weird media were there asking stupid questions about which Jersey manufacturer the players like better or 10 silly questions. Media Day is always weird

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News