ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS RECRUITING Hoops Scoop Transfer Portal Edition 5/7

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Spent some time on Wednesday talking to sources to see where things stand for the top two transfer targets for Georgia Tech, PF Romello White (grad transfer, former GT signee) and wing Jose Perez (may have to sit a year)

On Perez, I've been told it is down to Memphis, Marquette and Georgia Tech. My main source on said he could see it being Memphis, but he has not told GT or Marquette they are out yet. Iowa State and Illinois were the other two schools under consideration. Memphis, Marquette and GT make more sense since he is a NYC kid and they are in major cities while Ames and Champaign are very much not.

On Romello White, things have gotten more interesting after schools found out he did not want the "do not recruit" tag someone allegedly put on his Transfer Portal listing.

Vandy has some issues with admitting guys with four-year degrees into their grad program. Stackhouse also mentioned White on some Vandy podcast yesterday so if he did that would be a NCAA violation I believe.

UGA going hard, they have Chad Dollar who was his lead on him when he committed to GT when BG was here. Auburn and Ole Miss are involved and both schools recruited him out of HS though Kermit Davis (Ole Miss coach) was not there for his recruitment.

CJP would probably prefer to get Romello at this point since he can play immediately and it gives him more options with the lineup to go bigger instead of smaller. Moses Wright is already used to playing with another low-post offensive player as well so it would not be a huge deal. Unsure what the situations are for the other teams involved in terms of players leaving and minutes available.

Wake Forest is also trying to jump in since they have like 6 players on scholarship right now and tons of minutes.

Still more guys jumping into the transfer portal as semesters end for kids.

29 players announced their decision to transfer within the last week. The big men options who can play immediately make David Didenko look like Andrei Kirilenko.

One of the names I saw made me feel real old, Michael Cage Jr. also known as MJ Cage who is pretty terrible, but it allows me to post this pic of his dad. I was a Seattle Supersonics fan back in the 80s and 90s (they were my Western Division team along with the Phoenix Suns) so I watched his dad who was a great defender and rebounder in the NBA for 15 seasons with the Clippers, Sonics, Cavs, 76ers and Nets.

Poor guy rocked a very bad jheri curl (I can make fun of people's hair I had a mullet at one point in the 80s, long hair another time, spiked hair, a rat tail and a jewfro as well or of like Jonah Hill). Everything has come back hopefully this hair trend stays dead.

DOPzVT4X4AAJJiV.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News