ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS Hoops Scoop 4/13

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
So things have been a little bit quiet on the transfer front for a good reason. It is looking like Jose Alvarado is coming back for his senior year... On Moses Wright, I have two vastly different takes from sources one is telling me he thinks he is going pro and the other one is saying 90/10 he comes back to GT. I had someone else said 50/50, so make of that what you will. The one source he thinks he is going pro is much more pessimistic about stuff however in general.

I expect as @terrycomer was the first to point out as soon as he hit the portal, GT will end up with Deivon Smith the former Grayson star as a transfer. Smith and Kyle Sturdivant can be the long term replacements for Jose Alvarado and Bubba Parham and some of what Devoe does as well. That is how it is being sold. Deivon needs to work a lot on his shooting and Pastner's staff has done a nice job with that. He shot 27.9% from 3 at Miss State last year and just 33.3% from the field, but he is very electric as an athlete, he rebounds well for a guard and has active hands. He needs some mentoring and if Jose is back that will really help him because he will have to guard him everyday in practice and go against guys like Jose and Bubba Parham who are extremely good defenders.

Mike Devoe is coming back barring anything strange as well as I've already reported.

If Alvarado comes back and they add Smith, GT will need a big man, if Moses comes back I think they may stand pat with the roster unless they opt for a euro-big out of HS or the right opportunity comes along.

If all the pieces come GT is a top 10 team next year with everyone healthy and preseason top 25 and top 4 preseason ACC. It would be the best overall roster since Cremins was coaching from 1-13 and it will be really interesting to see how the various pieces would mesh.

For those wondering about Kyle Sturdivant, he has to ride this out either way, I think he has bought into the team concept and seen how they can play with three-smaller guards so I think they'll be able to handle that piece of it. He also can't transfer because he already blew his one-time transfer coming to GT from USC. Smith will be in the same boat, he will be sort of locked at GT.

Looking ahead at 2022, GT has five scholarships in play if they are out of the NCAA Sanctions and both Mike Devoe and Khalid Moore leave after their senior seasons. If Smith comes then that number falls to four.

This is the current scholarship situation. GT has two to give right now for 2021.

2020-21 do not count against the 12 scholarship limit
Jose Alvarado - G
Bubba Parham- G
Jordan Usher - F
Moses Wright - F/C

2021-22
Michael Devoe- G
Khalid Moore- F

2022-23
Rodney Howard- C/F
Kyle Sturdviant- G

2023-24