ADVERTISEMENT

Hello, UK fan here, possible Bowl match up.....

Apr 9, 2016
Congrats on the win over UGA yesterday. I have seen a couple of Bowl projections pitting UK against GT in the Belk Bowl in Charlotte.
These 2 old rivals haven't played since the mid-1960's, and I think it would be a great pairing. Both schools coming off road wins against their bitter in state rivals.
Would love to hear some feedback from Tech fans about this Bowl possibility !

Congrats. to you, too!
Mighty win over Petrino(a detestable)and his Redbirds!!

Would love to play you guys in the Belk. WF lost yesterday, 6-6 and NC St. has the same record. The NC teams usually get that slot from our league, as you might already know.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
I find that pretty unlikely. The Belk Bowl is a Tier 1 bowl for the ACC. I think it very likely that UNC will grace that bowl this year as they tend to really like a NC team in it for revenue purposes. Some say they created it to ensure that UNCheat would have a place to go east of the Mississippi after a 7/8-win season.

ACC has 11 qualified bowl teams. Here's how it will likely play out. (Warning... this is not pretty.)

We have Clemson (likely CFP) and FSU/UL (likely Orange) that are pretty well set to go higher than Tier 1 (CFP/NY6).

That leaves six qualified ACC teams (FSU/UL, VPI, UNC, Miami, Pitt, and GA Tech) to vie for four Tier 1 bowls: Belk, Sun, Pinstripe, and either Taxslayer/Music City. Having lost to UNC, Miami, and Pitt, it is unlikely that we will land in one of those. VPI and UL both have to go higher than GA Tech, due to conference record. UNC is almost certainly going to be one of those chosen due to the Tobacco Road Mafia. This leaves Miami, Pitt and GA Tech to vie for that last Tier 1 spot. Say Miami gets that spot due to their following in NYC.

That leaves five teams - presumably Pitt and GA Tech from the above teams (both 8-4), plus Wake, NCSU, and BC (all 6-6) to vie for four Tier 2 bowls: Military, Independence, Quick Lane, and St. Petersburg. Due to conference record, both Pitt and GA Tech have to go before BC. Most are thinking GA Tech is heading for the Military Bowl and Pitt for either Quick Lane (due to geography) or St. Petersburg (there are far worse places to spend a few days at holiday time).

In this scenario, some ACC team is left out unless an at-large spot opens up or the B1G gets punted from the Citrus. If the Citrus Bowl decides to take an ACC team, it opens up another slot in our Tier 1/2 bowls, everyone bumps up a slot, and UNC may go to the Russell or Taxslayer (Gator) Bowl instead with Pitt or GA Tech in the Belk.

Kind of a mess right now.

We also have the Russell Athletic tie in above the tier-1's. At this point it looks very likely that the ACC will be in the Citrus too, and that puts us in one of the tier-1 bowls assuming Clemson wins.

Here is a projection that has us in the Sun Bowl: LINK
Here is another that has us in the Pinstripe: LINK
Agree that Belk is unlikely, though Ken Sugiura sees it as a possibility: LINK

Last edited:
If you have a TE in your offense that would be a bad thing for us. ( inside joke ) ;)

Well, seems like a UK-GT bowl pairing might not be in the cards. We may very well end up in the Music City Bowl against Minnesota or Nebraska. That would be our 5th MCB appearance, and I was hoping for a refreshing change of scenery in Charlotte against someone we hadn't played in a loooong time.
Good luck in your Bowl game, and will be watching if not as the same time as ours ( very unlikely ) !!

Reactions: Buzzforlife
Well, seems like a UK-GT bowl pairing might not be in the cards. We may very well end up in the Music City Bowl against Minnesota or Nebraska. That would be our 5th MCB appearance, and I was hoping for a refreshing change of scenery in Charlotte against someone we hadn't played in a loooong time.
Good luck in your Bowl game, and will be watching if not as the same time as ours ( very unlikely ) !!

Thanks for stopping by. You never know what will happen. It would be a fun game, for sure. Come back more.

Just read where it appears that ACC will inherit the Citrus from the B1G. As Texwood mentioned, ACC also has the RAB, which is higher than T1. Assuming CU beats VPI, that leaves us looking like:
CFP - CU
Orange - VPI/FSU
Citrus - FSU/UL/VPI
Russell - UL/VPI/FSU

Belk - UNC
Sun - Pitt/Miami/GT
Pinstripe - Miami/Pitt
Taxslayer Gator - GT/Pitt/Miami

Military - BC/NCSU/WFU
Independence - BC/NCSU/WFU
Quick Lanes - BC/NCSU/WFU/none
St. Petersburg - BC/NSCU/WFU/none

Last edited:
Louisville tanking in the last few weeks really hurt their bowl choices and put a pinch on a lot of the rest of the ACCs teams. Getting UofL in one of those Big6 games would have helped everyone out. Just another reason to hate on the Cardinals.

If I had a guess today, I'd say the Pinstripe with the Gator as a preferred longer shot. Knowing the way we budget and travel, the GTAA would prefer the latter.

The Belk payout might be less, but for GT it makes some sense/cents. Personally, renting a car or a train trip sounds better than flying to the Bronx or staying in a more expensive bourough.

Isn't there some restrictions on where VPI will end up as the Championship game loser?

Not sure, but they likely cannot fall below T1, but then their conference record should keep that from happening anyway. I think they have a great shot at the Orange, since they would have just been in Orlando. The 4 losses would not make the OB folks happy though.

I guess it matters who they other team is, the Orange only cares if they can't sell tickets. Maybe the TV ratings might make a difference. I am not sure how their contract works out when the TV broadcast payments is made?

The Sun Bowl is a nice game. I'd rather see it within driving distance. But with the losses they had this year, it is hard to expect more.

Presumably it becomes the Sun Bowl, Do all of the Austin Texwood family members fly to El Paso? Superstar golfing daughter, wife, BFL Jr. as I loan him out for a few Holi-days?

We need a few Jacket Fans/Alumni from the Lone-Star state. Hopefully the Houstonites can fly SWest, also.

Looks like you may be right after all. Lots of talk now of a GA Tech-UK match up in the Gator Bowl.

Anyone heard any more news/rumors concerning this is indeed the Taxslayer bowl match up ? I know we will find out Sunday, but I am anxious ! lol

Anyone heard any more news/rumors concerning this is indeed the Taxslayer bowl match up ? I know we will find out Sunday, but I am anxious ! lol

The closest I found was that each of the ACC's T1 bowls have a group of teams they will choose from, if available. The Taxslayer Gator Bowl's ACC teams are Clemson, FSU, GA Tech and Miami. CU and FSU are both going higher than this bowl. The decision at this point as to the ACC team is between us and Miami. That's the closest to sure as I can find.

The closest I found was that each of the ACC's T1 bowls have a group of teams they will choose from, if available. The Taxslayer Gator Bowl's ACC teams are Clemson, FSU, GA Tech and Miami. CU and FSU are both going higher than this bowl. The decision at this point as to the ACC team is between us and Miami. That's the closest to sure as I can find.
Hope they don't take Miami the date of this bowl lets the players be home at Christmas.

Yeah, had the right teams, but the wrong bowl game ! This is a slight upgrade from the Belk bowl, actually it is the Gator bowl still in my mind.
Should be a fun game, looking forward to it.

Apparently it's between GA Tech/Miami and UK/TAMU.

Hey, it is indeed UK vs GT in the Taxslayer Bowl. I am looking forward to the game very much.
Tech leads the series 11-7-1, but the 2 teams haven't played since 1960. This should be a fun Bowl game with 2 energized fan bases.

Hey, it is indeed UK vs GT in the Taxslayer Bowl. I am looking forward to the game very much.
Tech leads the series 11-7-1, but the 2 teams haven't played since 1960. This should be a fun Bowl game with 2 energized fan bases.
Will be a fast game y'all run it 65 percent of the time and we run the ball 80 percent of the time.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
This is one of the more interesting match ups of the bowl season, IMO. An SEC and former SEC team with a Bear Bryant/Bobby Dodd connection, that haven't played since 9/17/1960. (though you'd never tell it by the non-coverage on sEcSPiN last night).

For the last several years of this series (1956-60), we were the season opener for each other. With the exception of Dodd's 1956 team (10-1), which Dodd once said was likely his best team, the late 50's was his low point in terms of quality. From 1957-60, his W/L record was a mediocre 20-18-3. He then recorded 5 straight 7-win seasons before retiring after a successful 9-2 season in 1966. Dodd was 4-1 against UK during that last series.

UK had risen to prominence in the late 40's under Bear Bryant, likely fielding the nation's best team in 1950. Bryant posted a 60-23-6 record in 8 seasons at UK from 1946 to 1953. After the departure of Bryant, and similar to GA Tech, UK struggled in the late 50's to a 23-25-2 (1956 to 1960).

So... a good bit of history between these two teams and we need to always remember, UK was one of the SEC programs voting in favor of our return to the SEC back in 1978, along with LSU, Alabama, Florida, Vandy and UT. We needed a 7th team for approval, but both Mississippis and Auburn voted no, while UGA - in typical cowardly fashion - abstained, leaving the deciding vote to MSU.

As you can tell, I'm excited about this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT