ADVERTISEMENT

GTWB: Balanced Offense Sends Jackets Past Terriers, 81-40

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Georgia Tech women’s basketball’s Lorela Cubaj notches double-double

THE FLATS – In its final non-conference tune-up, 10 different Yellow Jackets contributed offensively as Georgia Tech women’s basketball rolled to an 81-40 victory over Wofford Sunday afternoon. Lorela Cubaj recorded her second career double-double, while Elizabeth Balogun dropped 24 points, helping Tech improve to 10-3 on the season.

“I was really pleased with the start,” commented head coach MaChelle Joseph. “I thought we came out really aggressive offensively and we were able to get some stops defensively. I’m really pleased to see our balanced scoring. One of the things we’ve got to learn to do is stay out of foul trouble. That’s one of the things we’re really working on. But I’m really pleased with the way we played today, the way we rebounded the ball and shared the basketball.”

How It Happened
Georgia Tech put the game away early in the first quarter, opening with a 19-0 run before Wofford was able to get on the board with 1:50 left in the stanza. The Jackets broke open a 26-6 advantage in the second frame, utilizing a Francesca Pan free throw and extended their lead to as many as 27 points at intermission, 43-16.

Tech continued to dominate in the second half, leading by as many as 46 points following a D’asia Gregg three-pointer to setup an 81-35 score with 2:26 left to play. Wofford closed the game with a 5-0 spurt for the final score.

Tech Tidbits
* Cubaj finished with 13 points and a game-high 12 rebounds for her second career double-double and first of the season
* Balogun led all scorers with 24 points, while Elizabeth Dixon added 10 points to the scoreboard
* Coming off the bench, Chanin Scott pulled down nine rebounds and Anne Francoise Diouf added six as Tech dominated on the glass, 58-28
* Led by five offensive boards from Cubaj, the Jackets collected 23 offensive rebounds in the contest
* The Jackets finished 11-for-19 from the free three line paced by a 4-for-6 showing from Kierra Fletcher
* For the game, Tech shot 43.8 percent (32-73) from the floor, while limiting Wofford to a 26.7 percent (16-60) clip
* Cubaj finished with a season-best five assists as the Jackets dished out 20

Next Up
Georgia Tech opens ACC play this week, traveling to Boston College for a matchup on Thursday, Jan. 3. Tip is slated for 7 p.m. on ACC Network Extra.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News