ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GT Coaching Search Update 11/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
So here we are my friends, the search is heating up, the Battman has been on the prowl and interviews have started up. The clubhouse favorites are a man named Key with a GT degree and another from the Coast of Carolina only sort of.

There are two leaders in the clubhouse. No one has been offered a job yet per any of my tons of sources. From the start there was a lot of support for promoting Brent Key and a lot of financial support for making Key the head coach and removing the interim tag. The events of the last few weeks and the quality of the coaching job has improved his resume.

I said in my last update that Jamey Chadwell was candidate #1 externally and I stand by that. I will also say that Key's odds are as high as I've seen them of landing the job.

I can't get into more detail without burning sources, but I've been told no decision has been made.

A lot of credit goes to Batt, Cabrera, and Neville who are running the search process because this is taking a lot of work and a lot of sources to pull accurate information.

A lot of what you are seeing right now is people guessing and misinformation coming out from agents and people involved in that world. Last Friday there was a major push publicly to try and leak that Willie Fritz was a frontrunner for the job. That was not the case or anything close to the case, but it looks like someone was planting that story with aims to drum up more interest in Fritz more than likely without Fritz's knowledge himself.

We all used to see this with Paul Johnson as his agent would talk to schools about him during his tenure. I remember when Texas came open Nick Saban said his agent called him like 15 times about that job and it was floated hard he was looking at when he wasn't and just kept telling his agent no.

It takes some experience to navigate the waters.

On that Jakahri Williams rumor started elsewhere that he was committing because Jamey Chadwell told him he was getting that job. That is just totally not based in reality. Williams told RJ he has not spoken to other media outlets or given any interviews as of 10:45 pm tonight he had not spoken to any other media aside from Russell on his GT commitment.

I say these things not to bust on people or crow, but put reality on the situation. We live in a world where people chose to make up their own facts, ignore facts or reality or create their narratives to fit whatever their agenda is.

In the GT coaching search, I'd be happy if Key gets it, I'd be happy if Chadwell gets it, and probably be happy with anyone who isn't a flaming A-hole.

If it is Key I would hope they would get it done this week as it would take the UGA performance out of the equation (good, bad or ugly), if Batt goes with Chadwell that would likely be the first week of December before that would happen. Just an educated guess though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News