ADVERTISEMENT

GT / Cal History

Marty_Funkhouser

Gold Member
Jul 18, 2023
with all of the recent Cal twitter shenanigans, I looked back at the GT / Cal "series" which basically all took play in the 1930s.

It's weird and I'm curious if anyone has any insight into why these games were played. After the infamous 1929 Rose Bowl matchup between the two schools, we played 5 times (1931, 32, 36, 38, 40) rotating between campuses. What's strange though is that these games were played in December. Three times the game was played on December 26th, once on the 28th, and once on the 17th. These weren't bowl games per se, so I'm curious why they arranged the games in this way. Did they have such a great experience at the Rose Bowl together that they decided to play unofficial bowl games if neither team was selected to play in a real one? Interesting little nugget of history.

Also, I found this website when trying to find an answer to my question: https://writeforcalifornia.com/p/better-know-an-acc-opponent-georgia

Credit to all involved with Cal Athletics for fully embracing their move to the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.