ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Georgia Tech football practice notes and quotes 10/4

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Haynes King stayed out for extra work for almost an hour after practice ended today. He was the last up to the media thing, but I'll open with him. He still had his full pads on when he came up to talk to us.

King studied Miami last year as TAMU and the Canes were playing the first of a two-game series last year. He said that it is a new DC but he knows some of the personnel from that film work last year. He said they like to blitz and they play well up front and they pursue the ball well and play with some physicality. He said they are fast and well-coached on the defensive side.

I asked about the lulls offensively and he said that is something they are working very hard on at the moment. Keeping the foot on the gas pedal and not letting up. He said that is something they are pushing in practice even in indy drills. Having that mindset of being locked in all the time and being dead serious right now. He said they are trying to change things here and everybody is ready to get that done.

When asked about Chase Lane's possible return, King said that it would mean a lot for the offense because he has a lot of experience and is very smart, savvy and consistent. He said sometimes guys get hurt and it has to be the next man up but adding Lane back would help the depth a lot.

King said there needs to be more player accountability across the board in games and they know when someone is not going full speed or playing the way they are capable of and they need to step up and be vocal when they see that. They also need to have the mindset of giving everything. He said sometimes you are sick or tired, but you have to not want let guy next to you down and just keep playing and finish. He said that is where the players have to hold each other accountable and challenge each other.

King said they are doing more good-on-good work and really getting after it in practice the whole time. He said some guys have tried to say they were tired and wanted to sub out and Key kept them in so they could see how they perform when they are like that and he said they are finding out a lot about each other right now. King said the losing said has up/downs now and the players don't want to be the ones having to do up/downs and gassers so they are pushing more. He said that it has guys more hyped up and excited.

I asked him about being a more vocal leader on both sides of the ball, King said, "mostly likely yes. The other part is just letting them know because sometimes you've got to change your kind of attitude and behavior towards them... Now I've probably got to be the guy to drop the hammer a little bit and be like, hey we are not having that anymore. We've got to lock in and kind of set that tone."

King said that sometimes guys are vocal to be vocal but it is just words, he said that the tone and message can change and that is what he is working on as a leader.

I asked Christian Leary about the lulls and he said it is about consistency of play. "we have to stick to what we know and get the ball to the playmakers in space and just everybody has to play fast." He said there are little things they need to clean up as well.

Leary said that some teams are overplaying the screen game against them and that just opens up other stuff but might be why you don't see as many screens in a given game.

I asked him about how he decides on taking the ball out of the end zone or not and Leary said that Jamal Haynes and him have sort of a signal about that and he is pretty good about telling him when to go and when to take the touchback. He tries to approach it like every return is returnable though.

Leary said it was nice scoring his first college touchdown since 2021 on Saturday. He said it was, "good to be back in the chicken box as I like to say. I hope I get there a little more to help the team." That is not a typo, he calls the end zone the chicken box.

Leary said that he knows a few Miami players from the Orlando area and they are pretty close and there has been smack talk since they were little so he is looking forward to playing the Canes this weekend.

Clayton Powell-Lee was the poor dude who had to come talk on behalf of the defense. He summed up the decision to demote Andrew Thacker and move up Kevin Sherrer like this:

"No real reaction out of me personally, is really not that big of a change for us, It's just the same people in different chairs and a different person presenting whatever the install may be that day or that week. But really for us, it's just same standard gonna keep holding the highest standard of playing fast, playing physical, making plays, and eliminate explosives. So for us there's nothing really different just the same people different chairs.

Powell-Lee also said of the BG game,

"There were lot of mistakes in the game in all three phases of ball honestly, from special teams to defense to offense. We can't have days like that and games that are, I would say crucial to later on in the season. I will say when you need those games that you should have won back in October now but like you need those games honestly. We've definitely been really revved up the intensity and the aggression in practice. A lot of good on good and a lot of film watching, honestly, because we have a good opponent coming up this week, and we want to be the best prepared and I feel like this week is a great week to show the world that that's not us. Let's just get back to what we used to do when let's just keep on rolling."

Powell-Lee said the team has had issues staying mentally focused for four quarters and there have been mental lapses and they have to stay sharp, trust their peers to make plays and make the plays. Do your job and trust that your teammate will do their job and rally to the ball.

He said of being on the field for 42 minutes on D, it can hurt execution but they've practiced in the blazing sun and it was not any different on Saturday and they have to be mentally and physically prepared for games like that and buckle down. They needed to change the balance of the game and get the offense hyped up by their play and they didn't do that.

Powell-Lee said that Miami has really good players and a good quarterback and they've put a lot of emphasis on what he is capable of and they've got good slots and a good RB, but it isn't anything they haven't seen already this year so they've got to stick to the game plan and play fast and physical and eliminate the explosives and if they do they will have a good time on Saturday.

Powell-Lee said they really need to glove the receivers in coverage so they can get tips and PBUs. They are emphasizing PBUs and being disruptive to the receivers and getting them off their timing on the routes because that disrupts the QB as well and then you can make big plays.

Powell-Lee on toughness that Key is preaching, it is about allowing yourself to be coached and taking those mental tough times and applying the lessons and that is what builds character and will build toughness as a team. You have to draw back to a moment in practice and remember that moment is no bigger than the play in practice and make a play. We've got what it takes to be mentally tough.

I asked him about Thacker working with the safeties again and he said that Thacker has always worked with them but as the DC he would also go over to the other position groups as well. He said now Thacker is emphasizing his work with the safeties and he is able to use his strengths as a coach with them and he is a super smart guy and teaches everything well and has them well-prepared. Powell-Lee thinks having him help there will have his group more prepared.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News