ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE Finally, a non-profit GT collective launching today: Jackets for ATLanthropy

gtchem05

Jun 23, 2019
JOL members,

It's my pleasure to announce the launch of a NIL collective site supported by GT fans called Jackets for ATLanthropy (www.jacketsforatlanthropy.com). This is neither the Swarm the ATL site that PTCJacket has discussed on JOL nor a competitor of that site, but rather it is designed to complement Swarm the ATL and other GT-focused NIL initiatives. Jackets for ATLanthropy will be operated as a non-profit entity and will offer GT student-athletes NIL opportunities while supporting Atlanta-based charities.

I discussed this initiative with PTCJacket and have met with representatives from Atlanta-based charities. I have also sought advice from individuals in the NIL space to ensure that we are NCAA compliant.

I realize the name might be a little cheezy, but by coining the term, atlanthropy, the site is able to achieve good search engine optimization, and as a result, you don't have to remember the full website name. For example, it shows up near the top of the first page just by Google searching, 'atlanthropy'.

Jackets for ATLanthropy is unique in its design. Unlike some non-profit collectives, we did not opt to pursue 501c3 status due to multiple drawbacks including legal and tax risks as well as concerns regarding the sustainability of 501c3 status over time. Instead, we have opened a donor-advised fund, also known as a giving fund, which is housed by a well-established 501c3 organization headquartered in the Atlanta area. This will allow fans to make tax-deductible donations with ease (a receipt is emailed immediately after any donation is placed) and provides reassurance that your donations are unable to be skimmed by ulteriorly-motivated individuals.

The basic premise is that GT student-athletes will be compensated through NIL by taking part in a charity project or fundraiser. Participating charities will pay the student-athletes for appearing at events, fundraisers, and performing NIL-type activities such as autograph signings and social media promotion. Jackets for ATLanthropy will contribute funds (your donations) to the charity that will cover the cost of the student-athlete NIL compensation. Student-athlete compensation will be negotiated between the charity and the student-athlete with oversight from Jackets for ATLanthropy to ensure NCAA compliance. Please see the website for details on the process.

I would love to get your feedback, criticisms, critiques, etc. about the site so that I can edit it to improve clarity. Before you ask any questions, though, please review the FAQ page because your answer may lie there.

The next steps are to continue meeting with the multiple Atlanta-based charities who are interested in collaborating with us and select GT student-athletes for the first event scheduled on June 25th which is a meal-packing project with a charity called Hope Atlanta. This will tentatively include multiple athletes from the football team and likely one other sport as well. We need volunteers for this event and other subsequent events listed on the website. So, please consider signing up. Please also consider making a financial contribution and spreading the word on social media.

The launch of Swarm the ATL is also anticipated soon which will present an excellent opportunity for NIL contributions in exchange for unique access to athletes and fun events. I will be contributing financially to both Jackets for ATLanthropy and Swarm the ATL and encourage your involvement with these initiatives so we can attack this NIL stuff from multiple angles. "We're at Georgia Tech. We can do that. We are doing that!!!" Go Jackets!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News