ADVERTISEMENT

Couch Coach vs. Virginia

ibeeballin

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2012
Here are a few gifs i decided to breakdown to give an idea of what happened on field vs. UVA. These are used to give others a different perspective on how to watch football. I don’t do this to disparage players or coaches, but to give insight to GT enthusiast on what I’ve learned as a player and avid football fan.

A coaches dream game! A complete game but a game where a lot of teaching can be done in the film room

giphy.gif

Faulkner use of motion has been excellent this season. Not only does it give the QB an indicator of zone vs. man coverage, but it’s a way to create mismatches. Here the jet motion pulls the LB back in the box & creates a 1v1 in the boundary for the tunnel screen. If #54 Williams gets this block on the CB, this may be a first play TD.

giphy.gif

This is now 2 weeks in a row that CPL has vacated the middle a for TD. The safeties appear rolling down to the passing strength. Motion creates a 3receiver side meaning CPL is the middle safety. Also there is confusion btw the DE and LB on who has the flat.
giphy.gif

I thought this was funny and shows why football is the ultimate team sport. One person not doing their job kills an entire play Everyone is zone blocking to the right except Williams. He goes left and the results is a TFL

giphy.gif

Just your basic clearout route, 2 inside WR go vertical and ES13 on a dig. King finds the hole and delivers a dot but a drop by Singleton
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

If we ever can get the defense, to read and react down hill like this, we will be a tough team to beat. That’s the Tatum many have been expecting to see

giphy.gif

You blitz for a purpose. Either to clog run lanes, attack specific pass protection schemes or to create a numbers advantage. I believe we may be the worst blitzing team in America. We just run into bodies and when we are free in the rush, we take the wrong angles. Tatum must rush to the QB up field and keep him in the pocket. This should be an easy sack
giphy.gif

Excellent rush by #9 Kennard. This a good example of showing speed to power. Rushes upfield to get the OT to overcommit then use the power to knock him off balance to get inside for the sack. Reminiscent of the Reggie White hump move

giphy.gif

I want you guys to cherish this play. I showed the synchronization it takes to be effective. This play illustrates the instincts needed to play football at a high level. This is G/T QB Counter. Usually on counter, the guard pulls to kick out the first edge threat and the tackle pulls around seals the first inside threat. Pay attention to how the Guard Tackle swap assignment within milliseconds vs the blitz and blocks this up perfectly for a big gain. Knowing EMac is true freshman doing this makes this play even more exciting.

giphy.gif

Sometimes you can block it up perfectly and other times, you just have to show folks that you are not Davis and is an athlete that make plays (IYKYK). King actually did this without following path of his blockers. He runs inside of the blocking guard and still scores basically untouched

Here is a #88 Biggers montage to show @Boger2337 that sacks don’t always equate to production or being disruptive as a DT

giphy.gif

Batted pass 3rd down

giphy.gif

Sled drilled the guard, disengaged, and made the TFL
giphy.gif

Sprinting 8 yds downfield to get in an assisted tackle

giphy.gif

Split zone run here. Poor LB play by not filling and allowing Scags to climb to him. Coach Stoudamire would appreciate this Great screen by Dylan to spring this run for a TD

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

RPO. Look at the difference in route by #12 Blaylock. This slant is a lot sharper than the one i criticized him on vs BC

giphy.gif

Another great play building off the run game. UVA was playing a lot Cov 3 and a 3 beater that teams use to kill Thacker defense with is sending 2 routes thru the same zone. You got ES13 running a post to take the Deep CB out the zone and you would run wheel route in the cleared out zone aka Switch concept. Leonard deserved a better ball than this with the way he’s been blocking

giphy.gif

The G/T scheme is multi-layered and serves a good purpose in modern football. One of the reasons it is popular in todays game is because of the “False Key Reads” the pulling OL should cause the LBs to flow hard toward the pullers direction. We attempted to give on this misdirection play but was unsuccessful bc the LB didn’t move and Franklin missed a cut block. I say all this to say, this is why I’m not a huge fan of PFF bc in theory this would appear to be negative grade on the OL when they actually did their assignment. If King kept it, it would be for big gain imo

giphy.gif

Ball game. Great blocks by the TEs and WR. What a filthy dead leg by Haynes on for the TD

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News