ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Coaching Rumors 12/5 pt.2

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Well after clearing my head this afternoon blowing the leaves off the roof of my house (I have a heavily wooded home so it an extreme chore) I have some updates.

So the biggest issue is people who are very plugged in are giving some some conflicting reports on stuff. Here is what I know for a fact.

-Stansbury talked with Nate Woody about the job (likely as a formality out of respect).

- Stansbury interviewed Ken Whisenhunt and it got to the point of discussing contract details and an offer may have been made, but there has not been an actual contract made up formally for approval up to this point. Whisenhunt may even have an offer sheet, but all of this is being played close to the vest. I know people close to Whisenhunt who say he is conflicted over leaving the NFL for college and with the situation overall. They are being very careful about how this is handled because he is an alum and it is a sensitive situation especially if they don't make a deal. I was told there is no 48-hour offer window as reported by 680.

- Geoff Collins has NOT interviewed yet for the job, but has reached out and is hoping to do so.

- Neal Brown has not been contacted whatsoever by GT which dovetails into

- Scott Satterfield was never contacted by GT, he got the Louisville job because board members vetoed hiring Neal Brown because he played at UK and coached there as an assistant.

- I've heard that GT will move away from the TO, we will find out if that is the case on Sunday. That would be the first time GT could possibly interview Jeff Monken. Nothing has been set up there up to this point reaffirming what I heard about the interest in getting away from the TO. If they wanted Monken they could've probably had that deal in place and he has not interviewed with Stansbury or spoken to him directly about the opening per my sources.

- Same for Bohannon, his people heard the same thing about moving away from the triple.

On Nate Woody, he has multiple P5 offers, one is Kansas, not sure who the others are.

Lastly lots of steam from folks in Alabama and South Georgia about the Gus Malzahn being a serious candidate. Not sure where that smoke is coming from, but it is interesting. He has had a lot of struggles developing quarterbacks and his offense and he is like PJ or Larry Fedora, very hands-on so that is also interesting, however his scheme isn't a huge departure from what GT does. Auburn would let him walk for free. I just don't know how much interest Stansbury has.

The amount of contradictory information I'm getting from GT insiders and major donors and staff is staggering so I'm trying not to rely as much on them and more on outside sources close to candidates and mutual connections because I'm not trusting what I'm hearing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News