ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Key at an Alumni Event Tonight

GT1998

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2021
at the Scheller College of Business. The topic was leadership so they tried to ask the audience to ask questions about that and not so much about football but we still got some good stories.

Highlights:

-Saw him down a Stella Artois quickly before he got on stage

-The man hates uga. He made that very clear when asked about the game last year. Said something to the effect of him thinking about beating them at every waking moment.

-Someone asked him for a funny O’Leary story and he talked about how O’Leary was big on being early. He would constantly leave players behind if they didn’t make the bus on time. He even left our AD at the time (Braine?) behind because he was late. Brent did say that he “never left Joe Hamilton behind for obvious reasons”.

-He had his phone next to him on the table and he was checking it constantly. He apologized and said he was in the middle of a big recruiting week.

-He said after he graduated he had 3 free agent offers for the NFL but O’Leary was blunt and told him he would never make it so he asked him to be a GA for him. The Notre Dame thing happened and he thought he was going to follow him there but we all know what happened there. He decided to quit coaching and go into commercial real estate but was miserable. Got back into it when O’Leary ended up at UCF.

-At one point he talked about becoming the interim. He said he immediately called a coach down and tried to fix things (punt team). Then got together with the players and coaches. Gave everyone an opportunity to get up and leave (including coaches) if they weren’t ready to give it their all for the next 8 weeks. He was tired of all the “bull crap” (his words) that had been going on and wanted the team to take accountability and ownership of their team.

I know I’m missing some tidbits so if anyone else went feel free to add. I came away very impressed and feel the program is truly in good hands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News