ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Brent Key press conference 11/2

Kelly Quinlan

Staff
Jul 10, 2006
East Cobb
Brent Key is definitely is ready to play some football and exercise some demons at UVA.

Excited to go play on Saturday against Virginia who is playing their best football the last three games. They have four losses by a total of 10 points and they had double-digit leads in four of those games. There is a lot of similarities outside the win/loss record between us. For three weeks we’ve seen the confidence grow in that team and how they play complimentary football in all three phases. Offensively they are getting into the rhythm and tempo plays. They are top 20 in TOP and they are playing with tempo and controlling the clock. Offensively #4 the WR, he is tops in the ACC and country in catches. Good player and they do different things, screens, RPOs and quick game and he can catch short and run long. The guy that is the Bellcow #2 the RB (Perris Jones) and so much respect for (Mike Hollins) and that football team. What he has been able to accomplish after what this team has gone through, he is a true inspiration for all of college football and the whole U.S. Mike Hollins has put the team on his back and in the red area. (Brent confused Mike Hollins and Perris Jones just as a heads up if you listen to the audio or watch the video).

Defensively you’ve seen the growth the last two years and what they are doing on all three levels. They are big, stout and strong. They will mix in some two gaps and play 4-5 different fronts and then get in exotics on third down. They play some zone and they will mix it up with some man and cover 2. It will be a big challenge for us. #20 on defense their safety is what you look for 6’1” 220 and he leads the conference in solo tackles, on the WR or the RB, he is all over the field and it is hard to get a hat on him with the way they use. He is a good football player. They flat wall the LOS, they won’t get a ton of negative plays, but keep it in front of them.

On the busts on D alignment, we got aligned quicker on Saturday relative to the opponent with a lot of tempo and we will face a lot of that. Some of the tempo plays and we ended up changing the mechanics and we have three different ways to signal things in and we changed that at halftime to adjust to the game.

On TOP, they are unique in how they do it, they don’t bleed the clock with the huddle. They will hit you with three plays in a row and then snap with 32 seconds. They mix and match their tempo and that is how they get the TOP. That doesn’t factor into the subbing. The subbing is personnel based and they do not have as many personnel groupings as some. We will sub our DL based on needs, but we will matchup on the backend with personnel. We are trying to get the right matchups with personnel. UVA do not have as many typically, but they could have 10 different ones. Last week we had all sorts of substitutions based on UNC’s personnel.

On how film study each week, he watches, a lot, I don’t know the time. I know when I finish watching tape, I watch every game start to finish from the season and all the special teams and all their defense and then on Tuesday I watch their offense and then film of the previous week's situations and 3-4 hours of that on Wednesday. 30 hours maybe

On DJ Moore moving to defensive back, we are looking for some position flexibility and he got hurt and missed time with his wrist and other guys established themselves and 2-3 weeks ago I floated it to him and on Thursday during developmental he tried it and liked it. A couple of weeks ago when he moved he would intercept the ball and try to run the wrong way from muscle memory.

On the run defense stopping UNC, moving forward to UVA we have to play complementary football. We ran the ball well and in the fourth quarter possessions time out and that forced changes.

On the history at UVA being weird, it has zero impact on this week, it is about how we prepare and play the game for 60 minutes on Saturday.

On who will handle kickoffs, we will see on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News